Is the doppler finding baby's heartbeat or my pulse?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by Dinah93, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Dinah93

Dinah93 Happy mum to two preemies

We got a home doppler, and I know it's early but we had a go tonight and there was a really clear heartbeat sound. DH thinks it must be a major blood vessel of mine in the area as the rate matches my pulse, but I find it odd that if you move the doppler a few mm in any direction you loose the noise. It's also nowhere near the middle, it's halfway between my appendectomy scar and the line where your pants meet your leg... roughly where the top knicker line of your pants would be I guess but WAY over on the right, about 3" off centre. What do you think ladies, could it be my own pulse I'm so excited about?

2. cdj1

cdj1 Mummy to 2 princes

Its not impossible to find it at your gestation...we heard ours at 9w4days, but it will be much much quicker than yours, twice as fast and quieter than that noise you hear (which is your vessels surrounding your uterus)...you will know it is the baby when you hear how fast baby's heartbeat goes! x

p.s. I found our babys heartbeat at the same level as my pubic hair and had to press inside the hip bone quite firm.

3. Mindy_mini

Mindy_mini Mum2b of 2 under 2

If it matches your pulse then it won't be baby - baby will be about twice as fast and very faint. Where you're describing there is a major blood vessel and it's very easy to pick up with the Doppler. The only place you might find baby at the momen is right in the middle, very low down at the top of your pubic bone.

4. kat2504

kat2504 Well-Known Member

I agree it is definitely your own blood supply.
    For a lot of women, it is very very hard to find the baby reliably before about 14 weeks. Many find it before but it is not reliable and can take a long time to find. Put the doppler away for a few weeks, or at least until 12 weeks, when the baby is bigger the heart will be bigger and easier to find.

5. petitpas

petitpas ......

I had a good nosey around with a doppler yesterday. I found my blood quite easily and digestive sounds. The baby took me longer to find and was in the middle right where the hairline is. It was twice as fast as my heartrate at about 140 beats per minute and sounded like a little steam train.
    Maybe, as the previous poster suggested, put the doppler away for a while to save yourself from stressing :hugs:

6. Bunnylicious

Bunnylicious Well-Known Member

I found the HB first time on 8w2d, around the pubic bone, about 3 inches from clitoris and a bit to the right (I don't know how else to describe it lol)

I had to press the probe and angle it a little to find it.

7. Dinah93

Dinah93 Happy mum to two preemies

I have a pulse of around 100-115 on my current meds so it's a little hard with me to be certain about it based on speed. Thanks for the replies ladies, kills me but I'll have to tell DH he was right about something!

8. Maviyildiz

Maviyildiz Well-Known Member

The babies will be even higher than that! I think between 140-170 is normal around 9 weeks. You will definately know when you find it!