Is there anything I can say to my sister about my niece?

My sister tells my son off, it doesn't bother me, if he's misbehaving and I am elsewhere/busy with my daughter/not in the room to see then who else will disclipine him? She is your niece, not some random baby, there should be nothing wrong with you telling her no!

My friend and I discipline if we saw it first regardless of who's child and I expect my family members to do the same.

Yes it's partially an age thing, partially a temperament thing but she won't learn if she's never told.
By that age they do know when it's something they shouldn't be doing, I wouldn't put up with my child hitting and biting me even younger than that.
He was always set down away from me with a short stern no biting/no hitting for 30 seconds or so.

Xx

I'd say there is no consistency when "disciplining". I, personally, would handle it whenever your niece is in your house. If she won't do anything I would. Agree with others that shouting isn't the answer, calmy say things like "I can't let you hit x. That's too rough'. And keep that up. If she continues to repeat the behaviour maybe 'you're having a hard time being gentle/keeping your hands to yourself. I'm going to play between you now as I can't let you hurt x.'

P.S. I think it's normal toddler limit testing. She's trying to see how far she can push it before someone reacts.

There are a few weeks between mine and my sisters daughters but are both completely different. I don't know if its parenting or it's just my nieces personality and she's too young to be told differently.

My niece is always hitting my LO, dragging her about, pulling her hair, scratching and biting her. It's got to a point where my LO cries when she sees her and runs in the opposite direction (my niece can't walk yet so my LO has the advantage at the moment). My niece has bit me a few times, once a few weeks ago where it left a big bruise on my jaw line. My sister is constantly full of bruises and bite marks from where my niece has hit her. My niece also bites her own arms, leaving bruises.

We went to a toddler class today and it was a nightmare. At every opportunity my niece was dragging kids down by their clothes, pulling their hair, hitting them. She managed to bite a little boys foot and then a little girl on the arm.
I really don't know what to say. I know all children play up but it just seems to happen a lot. My LO has never bitten anyone, hit anyone or pulled hair.

Is her behaviour normal? I don't know what to say or suggest and I don't want to come across as 'I'm the perfect parent.. This is how you do things'.

my lo went through a shitty biting/hitting phase, I followed her like a hawk at softplay, playground, etc. I could usually see her eyeing someone up to hit them and could intervene beforehand. we didn't stay at busy places for long during that stage!

everyone has different methods for dealing with this it seems. I remember visiting with a cousin one day and my lo kept hitting her 6 month old hard in the face, so I started to hover and she said "no, its okay." um,,,, no ? lol. it was a bit awkward for sure so eventually I took lo outside. I know kids hit, etc., but I wouldn't be okay with a toddler repeatedly smacking my infant !

I'd say since she's only a young one year old, her behaviour is normal. Maybe you can talk to your sister though if there's something you think might help. I'd be extra cautious about my word choices/tone...to make sure I didn't hurt feelings. --this stage will most likely pass with time.

If she disciplines her child then I'd say to just leave her until she asks for advice but if she isnt then I'd definitely say something your child shouldn't have to get hurt bless her! I bet it absolutely destroys you seeing it, my cousins little boy used to be like that with my son (he's 7 months older) and I just eventually got sick of my son being in fear in his own home and started ignoring her calls texts ect because she was doing nothing about it and it's been well over a year since they've seen each other, it's awful when your lo is on the receiving end of it! My son very very rarely hits and that's because he's always been punished for it, I know it's a phase all kids go though but that's all it should be a phase it should be nipped in the bud as soon as it starts! I hope your lo is ok X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->