Is this a fake e-mail?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by oOKayOo, Oct 9, 2008.

1. oOKayOo

oOKayOo Well-Known Member

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account. We requested information from you for the following reason: We have reason to believe that your account was accessed by a third party. We have limited access to sensitive PayPal account features in case your account has been accessed by an unauthorised third party. We understand that having limited access can be an inconvenience, but protecting your account is our primary concern. Reference Number: This is a second reminder to log in to PayPal as soon as possible. Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. Be sure to log in securely by opening a new browser window and typing the PayPal URL. Once you log in, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety. In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, if access to your account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to log in to your PayPal account as soon as possible to help avoid this. To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal used to make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the Resolution Centre. If, after reviewing your account information, you seek further clarification regarding your account access, please contact PayPal by visiting the Help Centre and clicking 'Contact Us'. We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologise for any inconvenience. Yours sincerely, PayPal Account Review Department ----------------------------------------------------------------Copyright ©1999-2008 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.Société en Commandite par ActionsRegistered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, LuxembourgRCS Luxembourg B 118 349 PayPal Email ID PP638

Bare in mind i have paypal but dont use it due to the fact i cant even get on there website .. something to do wuth security. So i cant even send them anything to ask or see if anyone is actually using account..?

2. Amanda

Amanda Mum of 3

Don't want to scare you but that actually sounds genuine. The scam ones usually ask you to click on a link and enter your account details, that's how they capture your password.

This is saying that you need to open a new browser window and put your details in.

I'd just log onto your Paypal account (if you can) and check it hun.:hugs:

3. B4byAnge1

B4byAnge1 Well-Known Member

Im not sure if that particular one is fake, but I do get loads of fake paypal ones..its just odd there is no link to click, to take you to one of their fake websites. Hmmm, not really sure but if you are worried, and you never use it anyway, Id just ignore it. Ah wait just noticed the click here to contact us...id leave it if it was me :)

4. oOKayOo

I cant even remember the password i set it up years ago and used it once.
    I cant even get onto the website to see anyway .. even if i wanted to do something about it i cant :(

is there a contact number on there website or e-mail i could message them too ?

5. Serene123

Serene123 Guest

Trying to get on the site to look for you! God my internet is CRAP.

6. Serene123

Serene123 Guest

You don't have to log in to contact them but you do need to go on the site x

7. Mummy2Many

Mummy2Many Guest

it does seem genuine. What was the address it came from? If it was an @paypal.com email address, its very likely genuine. You should be able to email them or phone them up, even if you can't get on the website.

8. oOKayOo

I cant even go on there site :hissy:
    My computer has never let me :(

Just says :

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
    You are not connected to the Internet.
    The website is encountering problems.
    There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
    Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

Internet connectivity has been lost.
    The website is temporarily unavailable.
    The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
    If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
    To view subscribed feeds

Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
    Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.

And always had.

9. oOKayOo

10. oOKayOo

Should i e-mail this back ?

11. Mummy2Many

Mummy2Many Guest

Yes, you may as well give it a try!

12. StirCrazy

StirCrazy BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired

Doubt that it is real. When getting emails like this ALWAYS type the paypal website address into the URL bar yourself. Any links in fake emails go to sites that look like paypal (but aren't, hoping that you put in you password).

I've had a look on Google for the exact wording of that email and it does look like it could be fake.

If you always type in website in the URL box you will be safe.

13. oOKayOo

Thing is i cant actually ge onto the website , something to do with security on my comp, so never have been able top access it.

Should i just leave it be then just incase?
    I dont use the thing anyway but dont want unwanted debt if its possibly true. :shrug:

14. StirCrazy

StirCrazy BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired

If it was me I'd probably not worry about it.

Did the email address you by your full name?

15. Elli21

Elli21 Well-Known Member

Yeah i was going to ask that, what did they address you as hun??

16. sam's mum

sam's mum mum of two gorgeous boys

The fact that they advised you to open a new browser and type in the paypal address makes it sound genuine though - were there any links in it?

If you don't ever use it can you just email them back and ask them to close your account? x

17. Tiff

Tiff LIKE A BOSS

http://snopes.com/computer/virus/paypal.asp

I would just ignore it. If you don't use paypal anyways you're not losing much. I've never trusted stuff like this. The email you have is somewhat similar to the email example that Snopes gives.

Don't risk it, IMO.

18. oOKayOo

Just says Dear first name then last name.

I cant do anything about it anyway :lol:

so i''ll just leave it :)

Thanks guys :)

19. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Mother of 4

No I get them to my hotnmail account and my paypal isnt even registered in that account , never ever click links to sign in in emails like that. If you want to go to paypal go through ebay and call them if need be. But dont click the link in it its a fake site that gets your details. Phishing scam. I get bank account ones i dont even have bank accounts with trying this one. Paypal one is common.

20. Stephie 25

Stephie 25 Well-Known Member

I have had that one before, for an old account that i do not use. It gave slightly wrong usernames etc, but as it was linked to an account that i closed ages ago i just ignored it. I have never heard any more