is this an old wives tale re:taking new baby out

MummyMummy

Reaction score
are you allowed/is it safe to take baby out straighyt away after birth?

not sure if this is just an old wives tale or not, about keeping baby in for first few days or so.

is itsafe for us to go out straight after birth too? straight after maybe being next day or so depending on babys arrival time.
xXx

I took my daughter out first day for a walk in the pram.. it was warm out. She was an april baby.

I am planning on taking this one out for a walk first day too... weather permitting!

I was wondering the same thing (although I am not even in third tri!) I do know that the baby takes on your immunities to different germs through breast feeding so that's probably why after a few days it would be safer.

If you couldnt take your baby out, or go out yourself. How would you get home from the hospital?

If you couldnt take your baby out, or go out yourself. How would you get home from the hospital?

i was thinking that too! surely its healthier to take them out and get fresh air than stay stuck inside...

They used to advise mums to stay in 10 days after the birth ....they still advise you to take it easy ...i went shoppin at 5 days cos my ex was useless and i ended up with an infection in my womb

i wont have a lot of choice, my OH runs his own business, so i will have to be doing the school run lol x

i wont have a lot of choice, my OH runs his own business, so i will have to be doing the school run lol x

same here, tho im booked in for a c-section so hoping for some little helpers to volenteer for the 1st few days lol

Havnt heard this one, only one ive heard about keeping baby indoors is when its misty outside???

We took Seth out to Asda on the first day he was born, good job as well else he wouldn't have had any nappies.

Ive heard a few people say they would stay in with their newborns but I personally wouldn't feel it was necessary.

On the other hand YOU, might not feel like going out. I think they usually advise you to take it easy but more because of stitches and the fact that giving birth is quite a big thing for your body to have to do. However I remember walking round asda feeling better than I had done in months so I guess its up to how you feel :)

xxx

i remember my mam staying in for 10days with my younger brother ........ i dont think i cud wait that long to show him off :lol:

I stayed in for a day or too after having DS but just coz i was really sore off the stitches. The reason they used to say to stay in with baby is coz of infection i think. I'll just wait and see how i feel at the time, i might hybernate i might not lol xx

when my little one arrived my health visitor said it is perfectly save to take them out. She said they say this so new mums dont overdo it especially if you have a c-section and give you time to adjust to little one. They say some fresh air is good for you both but to only go out for a very short while if you have had a c-section x

I stayed in with first son 2 weeks because of c-section and I felt rough.
Second son I stayed in with him about 5 days,I just wanted to be with him and do our own thing without rushing back into the mad world :)

Planning the same again :)

i was out after the 5th day with my daughter after a c-section. just a gentle stroll round town. felt good, it was a nice sunny day and couldnt wait to show off my newborn. even managed to get hubby to treat me to a new jacket :) lol x

I'll probably stay in for a few days then have a little walk as I am looking forward to pushing the pram!!

I got home from hospital on the Wednesday morning and went out for a walk for some air in the afternoon!!

I think it is just an old wives tale!! I cant see it being any harm unless it was really cold out!!

If I stay in it's because I don't feel up to being out, not because of the baby :) Likely I won't feel up to walking - I was incredibly sore last time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->