Is this irrational? (Sorry long)

I think you are being reasonable. I cant believe they dont think it could be an issue, there are stories EVERY year about toddlers and babies falling into ponds, I dont see how they could be so relaxed about it. As the others have said, tell them, no safety precautions = no visiting!

Jakey1 - I hope your poor children are ok and havent ended up scared of dogs. I am a real animal person but think it is disgusting when people can not be aware of other peoples feelings about animals. My dh was terrified of dogs, but he now loves our dog and he has helped dh gain abit more trust with them!
xxx

A bit of discreet netting over the pond isn't going to look too bad, yes it's their pond but is there any option that they can get a cover for when you visit - i'm guessing they don't want it covered all the time.

When we were younger my grandparents had a small pond and we did end up in it a few times so they filled it in - its a good job none of us were seriously hurt. It was happening at a time in the 80's when there were pond incidents and things did happen.

You are right to worry
:flower:

I think you are being reasonable. I cant believe they dont think it could be an issue, there are stories EVERY year about toddlers and babies falling into ponds, I dont see how they could be so relaxed about it. As the others have said, tell them, no safety precautions = no visiting!

Jakey1 - I hope your poor children are ok and havent ended up scared of dogs. I am a real animal person but think it is disgusting when people can not be aware of other peoples feelings about animals. My dh was terrified of dogs, but he now loves our dog and he has helped dh gain abit more trust with them!
xxx

Thanks hun - tbh, they havn't had a great deal of contact with dogs since. My mum has a dog, which she keeps in the kitchen while we are there so that he is seperated from the babies by a safety gate. DS doesn't seem too bothered by him (in fact he laughs every time the dog barks). However, my daughter is terrified so I really hope that the incident at my MILs hasn't had any long-term negative effects on her :cry: Like you, I love animals and hopefully if we find a bigger house, we would love to introduce some pets into our family, but I was so angry that my MIL chose her dog before the safety of her Grand Children :nope:

Not irrational at all. You hear horrible stories about toddlers and ponds and it's seconds that it takes for a problem to happen!!

I would refuse to leave LO there if it were me. Surely the safety of their grandchild is more important than how their garden looks???!!

What a total pain hun, I'd be so angry if it were in this situation!!

xxx

i agree, it is completely reasonable to expect them to make their house safe if they want their grandchild to visit. someone you visit occasionally is a different matter, but if they want you to visit regularly they need to do something.

my parents have a wooden frame with mesh over it on their pond - it is easy to put something like that over it, just while you are visiting, and put it away again when you're gone. although my parents actually have theirs over the pond all the time and only move it when they are sitting there and want to look at the pond - it protects the fish from their cats and the local heron!

my nephew actually fell in the neighbour's pond when he was a toddler, and my younger sister (not his mum) was right there with him - he just leaned over a little too far and she didn't have time to catch him. she pulled him out straight away, but he was obviously very upset and she was beside herself with guilt - ran into the house and into her room and wouldn't come out for the rest of the afternoon.

not worth the risk in my opinion - i would just tell them that if they can't make their house a safe place then they shouldn't expect any visits.

Where I live they would be legally obligated to do it regardless if they had kids or not. My parents had a blowup mini pool and that even had to be fenced as a kid could wander over and drown.
To me, it's not worth the risk.

Not irrational at all. Drowning is one of my biggest worries. We were going to have our bath 'sunk' into the floor at one point but the thought of LO falling into it turned my tummy and we didnt do it. A little boy drowned here last year, babys/toddlers are so quick, she didnt even know he had gone til she found him in the pond :nope: So sad. I dont see why they wouldnt want to make it safe for him :shrug:

How big is this pond? Just curious. I think maybe my idea of a pond might be a lot larger than others if they can easily be covered. I am picturing the size of a football field, but now I am thinking it must be a lot smaller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->