Is this my first experience of braxton hicks?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by EMYJC, Dec 18, 2009.

1. EMYJC

EMYJC Two boys and unexpected BFP!

Got woken up at 1:30 this morning with really bad back ache and cramps. Made me feel really sick. Had to get out of bed and when I started walking around they eased off. Went to toilet and got back in bed and they started again so had to get up again. Womb was rock solid. This carried on about 4 times but did ease when I walked and then stopped and have had nothing since. Baby was going crazy afterwards.

Is this braxton hicks? x

2. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

Sounds like it. If they ease with walking then they're probably just BH. Keep an eye on them and if they start forming a pattern or becoming more intense call your MW :)

3. EMYJC

God I hope they dont. I feel a wimp though if just BH'S made me feel like I wanted to vomit, what am I going to be like in true labour??

4. Pinkfly

Pinkfly Mum of 2 boys & Pink bump

Sounds like braxton hicks hun but keep your eye on them if they are painful again as they shouldnt really be hurting enough to make you feel sick xx

5. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

I felt like that too - my BH are not the painless variety the books talk about :p But then in labour it's different - usually a slower build up and time to get your endorphins working for you.....I hope! :D

6. EMYJC

Oh good, glad you have felt like that. I have read that they are just 'uncomfortable'. Dont get me wrong, they didnt have me in agony, but made me feel restless and gave me no choice but to get up. Made me feel sick too but wasnt sick. They went after an hour or less and nothing since. Will I start getting them all the time now or can they go away? x They got me all panicky now thinking could start early labour. What I am worried about is that everything says to get help if you are before 37 weeks and you got lower back pain which is new, which I did and havent had back aches before.

7. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

Chances are you'll keep getting them now, but no guarantees :) At times mine have me pausing to catch my breath and always seem worse going up or down stairs. Remember words like "uncomfortable" and "pressure" are often euphemisms :winkwink: The sickness might've just been coincidence (I threw up for no reason yesterday...first time since I had flu in Nov), or might've been because you were woken suddenly.

You're right to keep a proper eye on it though. Not everyone gets to full term, but even if you don't the chances are still excellent for LO.

8. EMYJC

Thanks snoopy, I appreciate your advice. I am apparently at risk of preterm labour and have been given steroid injections. I have had a placental bleed at 26 weeks and an infection. I will just keep an eye on it. Hope they dont come back any worse. x

9. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

Well, with your history it might be worth giving the MWs a call now, just to let them know. Chances are it is just BH and nothing to worry about, but it doesn't hurt to give them a heads-up. With PAs, it *sometimes* (not always or even mostly, so don't panic) starts as BH-like, irregular contractions, so it'd be wise to give them a call x

10. New2Bumps

New2Bumps Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys

Hmm I just get a reeeeeeally hard hard stomach and makes it uncomfortable to walk or sit but only lasts a minute or so. I guess though that the more painful BH are the more it preps you for the real thing?!

11. kayleigh&bump

kayleigh&bump Mum to Finnley & TTC #2

i get bh's ocassionly, and they make my bump go rock hard like you said, and are quite uncomfortable. They dont hurt at all or make me feel funny, i just get an uncomfortable feeling in my tummy like its being pulled tight. Its not until i feel how hard my bump is that i realise its BH's! If yours are causing you too much discomfort, i agree that you should give your mw a call. They wont mind :) xx

12. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

That's what I'm hoping :D! Mine always feel like low-lying period pains with a rock-hard bump.

13. EMYJC

Snoopy what's 'PA's' sorry? I have had nothing else at all happen to me so far today but if I get any more back ache or cramping I will ring. It might have been my chippy tea that did it! :) x

14. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

Sorry.....placental abruption :)

I'd still ring them and let them know. They're not gonna rush you off anywhere, but telling someone at least means they can advise you if it does come back :)

As I said, I get them that bad and the other night I had one on top of the other - even I was starting to wonder if something was happening :D

15. EMYJC

Oh yeah, I forgot that the backache can be a sign of that. I have had no bleeding though and with my last bleed I just got up to go for work and was bleeding with no pain or anything. I know I sound silly but I just hate ringing up as I feel like an idiot. How silly am I!! x

16. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, hun, and I feel the same. I never just phone them - but then I'm low-risk and have a medical degree so I think they (unwisely!) think I'd call them with problems. It's not silly at all, I'm exactly the same.

If you've got mobile numbers, text them instead. You'll feel less intrusive and they can call you back if they're worried :)

17. EMYJC

I havent unfortunately. I wont ring the labour ward, I will just ring and try and speak to the midwife I see the most often. Like you say, it's taking the pressure off me and hopefully will just get some peace of mind. Thanks Snoopy x

18. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

No problem chick - do check your notes though because they often write their mobile numbers in there. You'd be amazed at what some people will phone them over and they're always more than happy to give advice...you've got more reason than most to call :) Good luck and keep us posted x