Is this "normal" morning sickness?

button05

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I'm 8+5 today and for the past two weeks I've had unrelenting, constant nausea. It was bearable the first couple of days but has now progressed to the stage where I can't physically do anything all day. I'm sick a couple of times each day, but it's the constant nausea, always feeling like I'm going to be sick and the dry heaving that's driving me insane.

If I get up off the sofa, I either feel dizzy, am sick or just feel even worse. I have two gorgeous dogs who are my world, but I can only just about get up to let them out in the garden, let alone walk them.

I'm not new to stomach pain and feeling sick; I had a grumbling appendix for 5 years and then finally had it taken out, so I don't think I'm soft!

I don't have hyperemesis; I can keep small bits of food and water down (if I don't move for an hour after eating) but I just feel AWFUL all the time.

A couple of people have told me that this is just 'normal' morning sickness, but is it? The constant severe nausea stopping me doing anything at all?

Luckily I'm off work at the mo, but I'm due back in a couple of weeks and don't know how I could work like this.

I went to my doctor last week who prescribed something but only said take it if it's really bad, but I'm worried about taking medication if I should just 'suck it up'.

I feel so guilty, we desperately want this baby but I can't enjoy anything at all right now :nope:

If nausea gets to the point of you being able to move or function normally in your life, I don't think it is considered "normal". I would take the meds your doctor gave you the Rx for.

Definitely take the meds hun. It's all that keeps me going, I feel your pain! Xx

I'm the same this week. Feeling so rough constantly. I can't even get off the sofa until lunchtime.

Popping over from third tri to say I had this with both of my pregnancies.

It wasn't HG as I could keep down water but practically nothing else and I felt truly awful all the time. I got prescribed meds and at one point in this pregnancy I've been on three different types at the same time just to keep it bearable. I'm still on one now as otherwise I'm sick all day! (but it's MUCH better than it was before so it does improve)

I'd say try the meds. Hopefully they'll help. :hugs:

I was like this for 3 weeks and it is utterly unbearable. I have a two year old and have felt so guilty for not being able to interact with her properly. :( I am 9 and a half weeks now, and things seem to be really easing up. I still get waves of nausea, but not that relentless sicky feeling that i was having. It is much more bearable.

I hope yours starts to ease soon too!

Take the meds xx I had ma with both pregnancies ! The first one seemed normal but the 2nd i found it hard to do simple things! And was struggling to look after my home and daughter' when it gets to that stage meds are needed x

I'm totally with all you ladies on this. I literally feel like I'm living hour to hour ATM, I am constantly in bed and when I'm not I'm being sick. I have found when I am hungry the feeling is worse. The first thing I do when I wake up is eat a cracker (sometimes on the bathroom floor). I'm going to contact my doctors today to ask for something I feel faint when I stand up too :( roll on the next 7 1/2 months! Xx

Even though its bad does it come in waves? Where it is constantly there alittle bit but worse, then better through out the day? Or is it really bad all the time?

Thanks ladies,

Well I've taken the meds, started them last night. Don't feel any different at the moment, but we'll see.

My nausea doesn't come in waves, it's just constantly awful.

First tri is soo not fun!

Are you losing weight? How much and how fast? Being able to keep down a little food or drink isn't necessarily a disqualifier for HG. Its about how much weight you are losing, how much the nausea is impacting your life, need for medication/IV hydration, etc. Many women with HG can eat a little or drink a little but drop weight because they can't get enough or their lives are at a stand still. Another hallmark is length of duration. MS typically resolves in 1st trimester. HG lingers on and on.

I can't diagnose you, but your doctor can. I'd say if you have lost 5% or more of your body weight, mild HG might be a reasonable diagnosis.

You can try diclegis. It is a cat A drug, great for severe MS or mild HG. Might help.

Thanks Ladyhutch,

Just weighed myself and I've lost 9lbs in about 2 weeks, I think most of this has come off recently though. Also noticed that my wee has got a lot darker in the last couple of days.

I've started taking the medication I was given (prochlorperazine) and it seems to have taken the edge off the nausea, but I'll see my doc next week too.

Thanks for your help xx

Check out my post on HG. You've lost nearly 10 lb in 2 weeks, and are on medication. Your pee is dark, the hallmark of dehydration. I'd say have you doc evaluate you for mild HG at this point.

There are women with HG that rarely barf, but are so nauseated they have picc lines for hydration and feeding. It happens. Not every case is identical.

Button05 I've had the same thing for the past 6 weeks. I did not have one second in a day where I felt ok or had any kind of relief. It honestly feels like hell, I absolutely feel for you. I started taking Zofran 3 weeks ago and it gives me some relief.

You should get a family member or friend to walk your dogs, that way you'll feel better knowing they're getting what they need while you rest up.

I'm starting to get more 'good' days, so it seems the ms will ease off. I have my fingers crossed yours will ease off soon too. Take care of yourself and good luck hun!

Medication all the way!

Just updating my post.

Well I don't just have "normal" morning sickness; I have HG and have been in hospital for the past few days due to severe dehydration and lots of ketones in my wee. I've had 8 bags of IV fluid, various anti emetics until they found one that gives me relief (zofran you lifesaver).

I was discharged from hospital yesterday, but with strict instructions that I must readmit myself immediately if I don't feel good again. I still feel rough, but a bit more human!

Thanks to all you ladies for your support, especially LadyHutch who made me think seriously about seeking help.

If you are feeling this way, even not to the extent that I was, then please see your GP ASAP xxx

Glad you are feeling better!

HG isn't specifically throwing up a lot. We use the urine to determine HG, not just how many times you've thrown up. Once you get to a certain point of not being able to eat/drink enough, you go into ketosis which is what shows up in your urine.
By that time, you're usually pretty dehydrated which can make nausea and vomiting worse. By then, you need IV fluids to get you "over the hump" else no amount of emetics will help.

Glad to see you are feeling better and got hydrated. It is the most effective means of stopping the nausea and vomiting, even if temporarily. Keep monitoring your ketones and stay on top of the hydration. I will pray for you and I am sorry you got the beast. Hang in there. It does end, I promise. Maybe not for 40 weeks, but it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->