Is this normal?

babyjan

Mum&expecting#2
Reaction score
My lil boy is unwell and has been since Saturday but has gotten worse over Sunday night, coughing, runny nose, wheeze and high temp.

I gave him calpol around 8:30ishpm for high temp and his still extremely hot with a temp of 38.7 at 10pm now, is this normal?

Yup it's normal Hun, & it's not considered too high. Alarming temp is usually 40+

If calpol alone is not working give him brufen every 8 hrs & calpol every 6 hrs, when Omar gets a fever it takes around 7-10 days to finally drop down to normal, it keeps going up & down between 38-39 & sometimes it reaches 40. It's a sign of fighting an infection

Hop he gets better soon :hugs:

I don't like to let a fever run for over 48 hours, especially if it keeps getting worse. Because of the wheeze I would be concerned and probably take him in case he needs antibiotics. He may not, but the wheeze would concern me.

Hope he gets better soon :)

In UK a temp of 38.7 would be considered high not normal - for 40+ I'd be straight to onto doctor/out of hours doc, that's really high!

It's usually recommended to seek medical help if a high temp doesn't come down with paracetamol or ibuprofen - so if one dose of calpol doesn't work try nurofen 4 hours later and if still no reduction call the doctor. Also a temp that does go down with medication but keeps coming back up again over more than 48 hours seek help. Or if there are other concerning symptoms such as difficulty breathing, unable to stay awake, floppy, unable to consume or keep down fluids.

I guess he might have a bit of an infection so I'd take him to the doctors. If you're unsure and in UK call 111 for non-emergency urgent advice.

My DD has something similar recently (temp of 39 and a wheeze...). We had to strip her right off and gave her ibuprofen over an hour after having calpol. That did the trick for us but I too wouldn't want to let a temp that high go on over 48 hours.

Eventually maybe 10:30 the temp went down and he doesn't want to wear anything so is in just a nappy at the moment, his temp hasn't gone up again yet but he vomited stringy mucosy looking stuff out this morning?

The whole sound of his voice has changed, he isn't wheezing any longer as he takes medication plus inhaler for that but do you think I should give the drs a ring?

I'm in the UK x

Might be croup as a result of a cold (change in voice suggests this). I think the wheeze is a worry if it doesn't respond to his inhalers and the temp would worry me if not responding to meds (I agree to do ibuprofen and paracetamol alternately). e.g If it was 39.2, say, then dropped to 38.7 after calpol, it is still high but is responding to meds so I wouldn't worry till it was day three and no long lasting improvement but if it stayed high I'd worry. 39.5 or above and I go to A&E straight away. If it is bacterial they can give meds but we've had the same thing with viruses and just had to try to get the temp down as low as poss by stripping her down and giving all possible doses of paracetamol and ibuprofen

Took him drs today and she had a listen and said he sounded crackily so probably a viral infection which I thought myself, so prescribed antibiotics which I thought he'd need anyways.

His feeling better slightly, still has the strange voice and coughing but no more high temps thank god.

I'm now feeling like crap myself atm :| xx

Took him drs today and she had a listen and said he sounded crackily so probably a viral infection which I thought myself, so prescribed antibiotics which I thought he'd need anyways.

She prescribed anti-biotics for a virus? Plus I thought crackles meant bacterial infection? (but at least that would mean anti-biotics would work)

She prescribed anti-biotics for a virus? Plus I thought crackles meant bacterial infection? (but at least that would mean anti-biotics would work)

Yeah she did say its probably something viral then after listening to him said he sounds crackily on his left so probably an infection.. No idea but I'm hoping it works, think she also mentioned that it could be a chest infection everything she said she kept saying 'I think' :/

Yeah she did say its probably something viral then after listening to him said he sounds crackily on his left so probably an infection.. No idea but I'm hoping it works, think she also mentioned that it could be a chest infection everything she said she kept saying 'I think' :/

Oh that makes more sense!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->