Is this safe to eat...

Kirstin

Reaction score
I am too tired to cook tonight and really want a chinese, all I ever get is Chicken fried rice and was just wondering whether its safe to eat? It does have little bits of egg in it.

As long as the egg is cooked, I can't see why not.

i've read somewhere about the msg content in chinese food isn't great, but for something like fried rice i'm sure it's fine! Enjoy - I quite fancy fried rice now ....

as long as the rice is piping hot you should be fine! enjoy!

The only thing to worry about with eating Chinese food is the MSG. It is a additive put into food to make it taste better. MSG is very high in sodium which can lead to water retention and high blood pressure. If you eat it in moderation it will be fine. Like once a month or less.

I cant remember whether it comes really hot, haven't had it for months. Would microwaving it for a few mins make it safer?

The eggs are just tiny bits and fried with the rice so surely cooked properly?

I have chinese takeaway at least every fortnight and im stil here!

It's ok I never reheat/eat food later. :D

Eat away... as long as the eggs are pasteurized (which nowadays you'd have to get the eggs straight off a farm for them not to be!). Chinese food is one of my favorites, I couldn't go the entire pregnancy without it!! I even had sushi, which as long as you don't have any of the raw fish (you get california rolls) or something with cooked/imitation fish, you're good. I don't use soy sauce cause of the high salt content and no wasabi cause spicy doesn't agree with me... but it's ok. It's definitely not as good as the real thing, but you make do with what you are allowing yourself. I know some women who have not changed ANYTHING they eat and they had healthy babies... I'm not that brave.

I stay away from caffeine, deli meats, the recommended fish you shouldn't have, I try not to eat junk and go for the latter choice. But sometimes you just give in to some things... like my dr told me I could have a can of Coke. I was craving one, but had 1/2 of it and felt guilty- she laughed at me...

Eat and enjoy every bite of that yummy fried rice!!!

I will :D I need some sort of treat, I've already cut out coffee, diet drinks, cola, reduced tea to one cup a day and eat next to no junk food, theres no way I could keep it up if I didn't treat myself once in a while :) xx

Deli meats, why? My BF was going to the deli to buy me a cheese and ham Sandw, now I'm telling him not to LOL.

Not sure, all I know is make sure the food is cooked all the way, I'm not the queen of the healthiest eater heehee.

Deli meats, why? My BF was going to the deli to buy me a cheese and ham Sandw, now I'm telling him not to LOL.

Not sure, all I know is make sure the food is cooked all the way, I'm not the queen of the healthiest eater heehee.

You can have deli meats, but theres a bacteria carried in them, so it's chance. I haven't eaten any, just to be safe, cause there really are no symptoms for Listeria (the bacteria). They tell you to steam the meat to kill the bacteria, then you can put them in a safe container in your fridge if you want to eat them cold.

What is classed as deli meat anyway? All ham? Even if its from tesco etc in a sealed pack?

What is classed as deli meat anyway? All ham? Even if its from tesco etc in a sealed pack?

If it's thin sliced for making a sandwich, thats deli meat. Turkey, ham, salami, roast beef... etc. I'd still just steam it and then wash out a tupperware container and put it in there- chill it and eat it. I haven't been brave enough to eat any, just cause I think I figure why even bother (steaming is too much hassle for me). I like my deli meats cold so they'd have to be refrigerated... dr's say you can eat them as long as they have been steamed, so make a large sub and devour it with a smile! :munch:

thanks very much :) all i could think about last night was fried rice and had to send OH out to the chinese :rofl: it was lush!

I'm sure it's fine as long as you don't re-heat it, just stay away from the prawn/seafood dishes I would say.... I hope so anyway, can't manage 8 more months without chinese (and OH certainly won't be able to!)

I have to say - I had a cheeky chinese the other night - had duck in pancake rolls and then some singapore spicy noodles. Bloody delicious - but I certainly knew I had had it later on and felt quite peculiar (I'm a twit really as the msg brings on my migraines even when not preggers!). Didnt get a migraine but felt a little odd and out of sorts.

But I'm obviously over sensitive to msg anyway, and i think there's probably quite a lot in the noodles.

Scrummy though - and if that's the worse thing I do to my body, I think little button will be fine and dandy. My friend pointed out that I can panic and worry as much as I like, but alcholics and drug addicts give birth to live and perfectly healthy (well apart from the addiction....) babies all the time. Not that I'm suggesting thats the way forward (!!!!!) but I think we are far too tough on ourselves a lot of the time.

I cant imagine Chinese people not eating chinese food when they are pregnant.... :munch::laugh2:

I agree Buffy. I know these are all safeguards to protect us from things like Listeria, Salmonella but tbh, there was never of these warnings about deli meats etc when I was pregnant first time round 17 years ago! I remember we werent supposed to eat pate and soft cheeses but that was about it! We were advised to REDUCE the amount of caffeine we drank, rather than cut it out completely too!

As far as I'm concerned, a little bit of what I fancy is gonna do me some good and I'm not gonna stress about it. I still drink the odd glass of coke, I have my tea in the mornings, and a couple thru out the day, I eat ham and cheese toasties, and I've eaten chinese once or twice since my :bfp: Moderation is the key. I'm still eating plenty of fresh veg and fruit as I'm reallly enjoying them at the moment. But woah the amount of gas it's producing! It's what I did last time and my daughter is a healthy, robust 16 year old pain the bum (as they all are at that age lol!)
At the moment I'm having a real craving for fried mushrooms... I usually hate mushrooms but I smelt them being cooked the other day and I havent been able to get the thought out of my mind :rofl:

I've been eating deli meats all week in sandwiches :| I thought it was just meat from an actual deli that was supposed to be avoided because its open to air all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->