Is this the hook affect?

Suggerhoney

♡Praying for a miracle rainbow baby at 43♡
Reaction score
So ladies I had a temp drop this morning at 5 weeks and 3 days and was a bit worried I'm not gonna lie.
I did 2 tests and both lines came out lighter than what they had been.
20190216_084522.jpg
First one from 2 days ago and second from this morning with FMU. I know it's still a good positive but was wondering why it wasn't a line stealer like b4.
I also done a cheepy strip test and got a fainter line than I did a few days ago. 20190216_085224.jpg
Test was same as control a few days ago.
Really went into melt down thinking oh well this is it another MC.
But then I was reading about the hook effect and watched a video where a midwife spoke about the hook effect. And she was saying that when ure HCG levels get very very high u may start getting fainter tests after getting dark ones. Because the test can not handle the level of the HCG hormone and gets confused so u get a fainter result.
So she was saying to dilute ure urine and 're test.
So I diluted mine with 1/4 urine and 3/4 water thinking I was going to get a v v v faint test line. 20190216_084843.jpgso first one is again the one I done this morning with SMU and the bottom is the diluted one.
Also did it with a cheepy 20190216_085852.jpg This is the darkest I've seen on the strip tests so far. And this was also with the diluted urine.
So looks like the hook effect is a real thing ladies.
Thought I wud share this for those testing because like me they have had MCs in the past. Do NOT panic if ure tests start getting lighter again.
'Re test and dilute ure urine.
Hope this is a help to anyone that needs it.
Not sure why my temp dipped. But my boobs are so sore and I feel sick.
Temp did not drop below cover line but was the lowest temp I've had so far since being pregnant.

And b4 someone says go and get bloods done for levels they don't do that here.

Last edited:
I know I asked if this is the hook effect but was only asking that to see if anyone comments this has happened to and can confirm it. But I'm pretty sure this is what is happening.

Can i ask where you buy your frers? You seem to use so many. I can only do that with ic's.
They are so expensive here i would love to buy more.
Ive used 40 ic's this cyle alone

I would guess hook. The concern with a temp drop is it could be correlated to a drop in progesterone. But if it stayed above cover I wouldn’t worry

Where are you that they don’t do blood work?! Unless you are in a third world country out in the middle of some protected land, they can run bloodwork. They should run a serial hcg beta test or check your progesterone or both along with a transvag ultrasound. HOWEVER I could see them blowing you off because you don’t have red bleeding or cramping

I’m not sure what I can say to help, but they don’t do bloods here either to check beta levels....bloods are only taken at ur booking apt with midwife at 8-10 weeks pregnant.

I’ve heard about the hook effect Fingers crossed that’s what’s happening and u go on to enjoy ur happy and healthy 9 months xxx

That’s ludacrious to me. They can do them. I understand not routinely. But if there is a legitimate concern with levels, they have a professional obligation and liability to check it. I get discouraging it when there’s no real need, but to just leave people without answers or doing their due diligence is borderline unprofessional and neglect. Or maybe i’m just spoiled here. I just ask nicely and I get them when I want.

In any case, so hope your temp looks better now and you get some relief! Hugs

My tests were like that. They just kind of stalled then went backwards so I diluted my pee and they were dark again. My temp was up and down a lot too

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"