Is toast ok at 6 months?

minties

Complete
Reaction score
Please no one give me a hard time about wanting to offer a bit of toast - I asked on another forum and got bashed for it! :wacko: People were saying it was junkfood and full of sugar.

I just want to know if it is safe to offer Thomas a tiny bit of toast with avocado on it sometime in the next week or so.

If so, what type of bread? Plain white? Wholemeal?

Thank you.

P.S it will be home made bread and I can make several types.

yes you can give bread and any type is fine. Wholemeal is the healthiest.

Yup, no problem, I'd stick to wholemeal if you can and make it quite crispy so that when he sucks it goes soggy and breaks up easily iykwim?

Yes you can, My lo has toast for breakfast most days as she doesnt really seem to like cereal as much. I have never known for it to be called junk food though, has it really got that much sugar in? :flower:

You definitely can - lots of baby books suggest it. I'm still a bit scared about choking though (experimented with BLW and all I get in gagging and food coming back out and my stomach dropping in fear!) - how small do you think you should cut it up?

I understood white bread is actually better as babies can't digest wholemeal very well and it can put a strain on their system?

we give chloe toast all the time, how is it junk? dont listen to them hun theyre being silly!

if you can make your own then thats great as it will have no salt in it. from what ive read you need to be careful if lo's have too much fibre as it can block them up a bit, but you could vary between white and wholemeal.

kitten as for size we just cut it into strips for chloe :)

You definitely can - lots of baby books suggest it. I'm still a bit scared about choking though (experimented with BLW and all I get in gagging and food coming back out and my stomach dropping in fear!) - how small do you think you should cut it up?

I understood white bread is actually better as babies can't digest wholemeal very well and it can put a strain on their system?

I cut it into strips too, usaually just like you would for soldiers.
Does this mean that it wont effect lo having it each morning, I was starting to worry that I was giving it too much then lol, especially as she usaually has a sandwhich too for lunch. Ive never heard it being junk before :wacko:

i give toast most days :) he loves it, its easy for him to manage, if this other forum thinks toast in junk im screwed

I gave wheat toast all the time starting at 6 months. He loves it.

my lilttle one eats toast he loves pulling it all too bits & chewing on it (hes got no teeth yet)

Evan sometimes has toast twice a day, toast for brekkie and a sandwich for lunch. It can be junk if you put loads of nutella on it :haha:

Hey chick, I was told White bread is the best as babies don't need too much fibre in their diet as it stops them from absorbing other nutrients. I'll be giving my lo toast from 6 months!

Thanks!

I got told that it was too refined and processed for a baby and has no nutritional value, so it was junk food. Sheesh - you can't do anything right these days!

His other meals are very healthy so I couldn't see the harm in it. Not like I was going to give it to him 5 times a day.

I baked a loaf this morning that was half white and half wholemeal flour, and toasted a bit for him. He loved it! He sucked on it, threw it at the cat, bashed it around and managed to eat perhaps 5% of it.

I was so worried about choking but he had no worries at all. Yay!

Yeah, toast is fine. Babies don't need the fibre of wholemeal bread and as others have said it can effect their digestion and ability to absorb vitamins (as all bread contains things called phytates which block the absorption of certain nutrients and are highest in whole grains), so if LO is only 6 months I'd give white bread for a while and then switch to wholemeal when LO is a little older and their digestive system is a bit more mature.

We give toast regularly with a variety of soggy toppings - avocado, beans, cheese, peaches, anything really.

I also make bagels & chapattis for a bit of variety.

glad to hear he enjoyed the toast minties:thumbup: dont worry about what the other people said, your making it at home which means there is nothing wrong with it:)

i give my lo toast and always panic when he starts gagging! oh has to stop me taking it off him

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->