Is vaginal ultrasound safe at/before 4 weeks?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by mayaa, Nov 15, 2011.

1. mayaa

mayaa Active Member

Dear all... Can someone help me here? I got my BFP (very faint though) at 13 DPO and got a HCG value of 20 in the blood work. My OB says it is positive and has asked me to come for a sonography tomorrow. I will be only 27 days in the cycle and I dont know what is this ultrasound for... Is it safe to have Vaginal ultrasound at 4 weeks? I heard that some people get periods after that? Scary... someone pls help me...

2. bananaz

bananaz Well-Known Member

Some women can have a bit of spotting after transvaginal ultrasound because of the increased blood flow to the area, but most women don't and even if you do, it's not a big deal. Transvaginal ultrasounds don't cause miscarriages or "periods;" your doctor wouldn't be performing the scan if it wasn't safe.

3. peace

peace Well-Known Member

It's safe otherwise they wouldn't do them x

4. mommylam

mommylam Pregnant-Mother of 3 boys

I'm not sure what they would be looking for at 4 weeks as that is really early but they are safe and like the previous poster stated they won't cause a miscarriage or a period but could cause a bit of spotting. My first vaginal ultrasound did cause me to spot but then so did sex, my next vaginal ultrasound, BM, and pretty much anything at all. Thankfully, that seems to have passed now!!! Good Luck to you!

5. Luna

Luna Mum of two

Hope it goes well!

6. kat2504

kat2504 Well-Known Member

It's perfectly safe but you definitely won't see the baby yet. Perhaps they feel the need to check that it is in the right place. It even seems very early for that. But don't worry about it harming the pregnancy, you may get a little bit of spotting but that will be from the vagina or the outside of the cervix, it won't be blood coming out of your uterus.