Is what they said true?

Rhiaberry

Reaction score
I went to EPU this morning for a repeat scan from Friday. They took bhcg friday and Sunday. My results didn't double.
Friday 2503 (19dpo)
Sunday 3874 (21dpo)
They saw what may be the start of a very faint yolk sac this morning. No free fluid of ectopic seen yet they still can't rule it out. She's said to me it looks to be a failing pregnancy. I'm under the impression from the Internet that it doesn't always double in 48 hours. I'm feeling sad and confused. Tired of being poked & prodded. :cry:

I'm not sure why they'd do a repeat scan so early, frankly. It's so hard to see anything so early on. Try to think positively and take the best care of your baby as long as you can.

They have got me on for a repeat scan on Monday. A week from today plus another hcg count. Are my numbers poor?

I don't think I could give any insight about your numbers. I know that after they reach a certain point, the doubling time decreases. Doctors have been pretty hands-off in my pregnancies. When I was pregnant with my son, my first appt was at 7 weeks and they didn't call with results from my blood tests for a week--at which point they felt I needed progesterone supplements due to low value. This time, I had my first appointment a little after 7 weeks and they didn't even do labs at my first appointment. So I'm not very helpful but didn't want to read and run before.

I think it's a little early for them to be writing off the pregnancy.

So- your numbers haven't doubled but have risen, and there's a gestational sac and possible yolk, in the uterus, and you're about 5 weeks? That's all you'd expect to see at 5 weeks really. As for the numbers, 85% of healthy pregnancies double aroud every 48 hours. But there's that 15% that don't, and still go on to have a healthy pregnancy.

I was over 6k, and my numbers did not double in two days, either. They scheduled an early ultrasound and all the doc saw was a sac and the yolk. My doctor told me it's actually a 66% increase they look for. A week later we saw baby.

Unfortunately, that is a real wait-and-see situation. The practice I see doesn't do hcg blood work or any of that unless they suspect there's a problem. So, I never know what my numbers would have looked like! I'm thankful for that because I've been on this forum since I was TTC my first baby, and I've seen people go through this probably a hundred times. And the situation has gone both ways - plenty of the pregnancies weren't viable, and plenty of them went on to have healthy babies. However, I can tell you for sure that there's usually nothing to see at 5 weeks along! A sac, maybe a yolk, usually not even a visible fetal pole yet and almost never a beating heart. Next week, you will know for sure what's going on. I went through a similar situation a week ago - my embryo was 12 days small, and I had to wait a week to find out what was going on. My baby is fine, and I'm heading into second Tri soon, but it just as easily could have gone in the other direction. I went into the ultrasound expecting the worst, just wanting to be out of limbo and to know what was happening. I got pleasant news, but I was prepared to get bad news, and I had already gone through the crying and yelling over it. I recommend it. I felt so good when I walked into the appointment, even before I got to see the ultrasound screen.

Agree with what everyone else said. You're in limbo. I read that doubling time does slow after hcg hits 1200, and that a "normal" doubling time at that rate is actually 72 hours rather than 48. Yours was 76 hours so that doesn't seem so far off. A sac and yolk sac is great for a 5w4d scan. I had a 5w5d scan and only saw the gestational sac.

These early days are so hard and this next week is going to be brutal (I understand - my repeat scan is scheduled for Friday) but I definitely wouldn't rule out the possibility of a healthy pregnancy.

Hang in there. :hugs:

I had some funky hcg tests run in week 4, and they kept saying how sorry they were, and they wish they had good news. Well...I don't know how, but a miracle happened and it appears that the weird betas were due to a twin who didn't make it. :shrug: This is an IVF pregnancy and we had transfer 3 embryos.

It is a wait and see. If I hadn't waited after getting the bad news of my betas, I had planned on going sledding and drinking wine a up in the mountains with my hubby (we were on a mini vacation to get our mind off things). But the next week everything sorted themselves out.

It's so stressful, I know. :hugs:

I'd always heard that HCG doubling times often decrease after hitting the thousands? So when it's lower than 1200, HCG can double every two days, but when it's above that, it can slow to up to 96 hours. In that case, you'd be well on your way to a doubling time of four days.

I had a scan again today. And yolk sac fetal pole all there. My dates are 5 weeks 3 days and I measure that exactly. So I'm feeling a bit better now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->