is your family poor?

QuintinsMommy

Reaction score
yesterday in my sociology class are teacher told us teen pregnancy is a higher rate in low income familys..

so was your family poor?

mine was more in the middle we were very poor when I was younger my mom was on welfare and worked but we didn't have many extras then my mom got remarried and we bought a house had nicer stuff etxra...

Nope, my family was middle class ($65K income a year). But the amount of money you have doesn't have anything to do with the kind of people raising you. I think that has an effect on teen pregnancy rates more than income does. At least for me it did.

Not really....my dad makes a very good living, then my mom and step-dad who has raised me did fairly well. While I do believe that TP occurs more in low income families do to education and oppurtunity a teen parent can come from any end of the spectrum! Look at Jamie Lynn Spears or that girl Chelsea from Teen Mom!

Nope, my family was middle class ($65K income a year). But the amount of money you have doesn't have anything to do with the kind of people raising you. I think that has an effect on teen pregnancy rates more than income does. At least for me it did.

yes but love isn't going to put food on the table,let your child go to private schools, some sports programs are very expensive , where you live ,if your mother/father has to work all the time to make ends meet she is less likely to be home ,chances are you will live in a poorer area (so you are more likely to be a wrong the wrong people..etc..

Not really....my dad makes a very good living, then my mom and step-dad who has raised me did fairly well. While I do believe that TP occurs more in low income families do to education and oppurtunity a teen parent can come from any end of the spectrum! Look at Jamie Lynn Spears or that girl Chelsea from Teen Mom!

oh I agree that teen pregnancy can happen to any teen who has sex no matter what their parents make..just according to Canadian statics its higher in low inccome familys

TBH I've seen more pregnant teens in lower class than in higher class. I guess parents working 2 jobs,never being at home, bad friends, drugs, struggling with money ect. has an impact on their children. Im not aiming at lower class as I am myself OH makes about $17k a year

oh I agree that teen pregnancy can happen to any teen who has sex no matter what their parents make..just according to Canadian statics its higher in low inccome familys

Oh I definitley believe that to be true in most places. Usually lower income families live in areas where the education system is poor and there are very poor and there are very few options for extracurricular activites. Some NOT all resort to poor decision making because of these things. The enviorment that you are raised in plays the most critical role in the choices that you will make. I have friends who have chosen to be teen moms purely because they said they had nothing else to do with thier life. Cycles such as domestic violence, TP, drugs, are very tough to break and a lot of people do, but at the same time most don't even realize that they are in it. :thumbup:

we were poor when i was growing up as we lived soley on benefits and in a council house but my dad was a bit of a prick and spent all our money on solo holidays and prozzies (awkward) - my mum was studying full time so she didnt have a job and was in uni debt. now she's quite well off and has a pHD and my dad is still pretty poor and quite rubbishly tried to use me to get a council house not too long ago because I had a baby. there's a huge contrast between them.

We got by, my dad has worked in the same job for 35 years, always very good with money and always tried his best to spoil us. My mum has done small jobs up until a few years ago, now she has a very well paying job. They are well off, can afford holidays when they want etc and they are really good with budgeting etc. I hope I am like them when I'm older :) - that sounded so childish lol.

my family is not poor,not millionaires they just have money for lots of extras holidays ect x

yes but love isn't going to put food on the table,let your child go to private schools, some sports programs are very expensive , where you live ,if your mother/father has to work all the time to make ends meet she is less likely to be home ,chances are you will live in a poorer area (so you are more likely to be a wrong the wrong people..etc..

My mother worked from 7am-6pm every night, my dad wouldn't come home until midnight sometimes. They had to work all the time to make that 65K a year too. It didn't just arrive in our mailbox while they were sitting at home all the time. My husbands family also had a pretty decent income. Which is how he had a motorcycle, which is how he drove it over to my house and got me pregnant. :haha: Had we both been from poor families we couldn't have even seen or met each other.

My Family is quite well off, Everyone owns their house, has harleys, boats, campers, brand new vehicles, summer vehicles lol. Not that that has anything to do with me getting pregnant, I was just a stupid girl who wasnt taught anything about sex.

no we had it very well off. my dad worked very very hard for his money and he made a lot of it. my Mom worked very hard until something changed for her and she took a turn for the worst... but our family was very lucky to be where we were and we weren't left without anything. :thumbup:

My mom and dad were in the working middle class, we weren't poor, but we were always tight on money and budgeted as best we could.

I think statistics are bs :haha:

:flower:

Not particularly. Certainly not rich, but not poor either. We always did okay :) Probably put us working middle class. Both parents have always worked, dad used to work away a LOT.

We are middle-class, my parents combined make like $60K/year, which really isn't much but they don't have many bills to pay out. I don't know about that statistic, my sister and her husband make $150K a year and my other sister and brother-in-law make like $90K a year, they're both quite young too (30's) so.. I'm probably going to end up like my parents though!! :(

my parents both worked really hard and we always had money for holidays, private school, boarding school etc.

i went to a state school after i got kicked out of boarding school ... i wanted out so badly!!!!! but yeah in my year at boarding school there were 8 girls pregnant before they finished high-school (there were about 50 grls in the year) but in my state school there were only 2 girls pregnant before the end of high school and there were about 200 girls in my year then!!!!!

realistically i don't think it matters how much money your family has i think its more about the time you spend with your kids that makes a difference.

We were never rich, but never poor either. My mom makes a decent living working for the state, and my dad was a heavy diesel mechanic, who wokred sixty hour weeks and brought home $60k alone. We struggled with things, christmases and such were never to outrageous, but we were happy. DH's family is the same. The first pregnancy was an 'o it wont happen to us moment' and the second pregnancy was planned.

No. My dad makes more than 6 figures a year but with the way my mom controls his money and her gambling addiction, it doesn't leave much. :growlmad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->