Items for YOU after childbirth?

Don't be scared of pain relief. I took every bit the hospital offered for a week (diclofenac & paracetemol).

Also fat maternity pads, more cushioning than the pretty, thin ones.

My mum worked on labour ward and says hospital gloves filled with water and frozen, ypou can cut the fingers off and the ladies she gave them to loved it and said they foun. It very soothing x

My mum worked on labour ward and says hospital gloves filled with water and frozen, ypou can cut the fingers off and the ladies she gave them to loved it and said they foun. It very soothing x

The hospital i did my clinicals for maternity at did something similar, but with the always ultra thin overnight maxi pads..they just stuck the whole pad in the freezer and kept a bunch on hand...the new moms loved them and we were constantly running to grab a few for our patients...so i might try that :haha: I did manage to pick up two packs of Cryostat, which looks like it is just a tucks size cold pack that you freeze and can dispose of after you are done with it (no chemicals or meds listed on the box) so i tossed a box in my hospital bag to take along with me :flower:

To go along with the nipple cream that other ladies mentioned, I would also suggest the soothie gel pads if you're breastfeeding. My nipples became really sore with the long nursing sessions with DS and the gel pads felt amazing.

Salt! Honestly bathing in salt water helped my stitches heal up in no time. Midwife (and my mother) recommended it and I was petrified it would stung but no it felt quite soothing and healed them up lovely xx

I tore with my 1st and a squirty bottle with warm water and salt to squirt on there after peeing. Helps the healing process, also take it in the shower with you and squirt as well. Salt in bath water also helps if you want a bath. Comfy knickers are a must as well.

Did you both just use normal salt? Like food salt? And how much? I've heard of epson salt but normal salt is much easier as it's already in my cupboard! :)

Ye just normal salt! I was putting maybe a mug full, just under, in each bath, don't really know if there's any recommended amount or not xx

Salt! Honestly bathing in salt water helped my stitches heal up in no time. Midwife (and my mother) recommended it and I was petrified it would stung but no it felt quite soothing and healed them up lovely xx

If you use sea salt it won't sting but table salt will!

I´m confused how does this work with the fingers cut off? xx

For "down below" care after birth: arnica tablets to help with the bruising. Lavender and tea tree oil to put in the bath. Witch hazel drpped onto maternity pads and frozen for relief when sitting. Also a rubber ring (a kids one) for sitting on can be good (but lookds rediculous :haha:).

Tucks, frozen pads with aloe vera, a nursing pillow (huge huge lifesaver!), movies, chai tea or some yummy drink you enjoy, easy to get to snacks, candles... really anything that will help you relax.

1. Laniso nursing pads
2. Humidifier
3. T.V. - seriously.
4. Post partum pads for bleeding.
5. A comfy sleep bra or tight tank to keep the girls in.

I´m confused how does this work with the fingers cut off? xx
Not entirely sure lol i will have to ask mum when i see her x

Oh . The most uncomfortable thing for me after was my belly skin being like jelly it just felt so strange and the skin had sort of pins and needles so I wore my bump band to support it.
I'll definitely get one again but it has to be a supportive tight one not the flimsy thin ones.
Xx

If you are offered lactulose in the hospital I recommend you take it coz so many women have issues "going" after birth and mine led to an anal fissure which feels like you are trying to pass cut glass!! I swear it almost felt as painful as childbirth did!

I also agree with the proper maternity pads as they are bigger and softer and also don't have any chemicals on so better for absorbing the pp bleeding (apparently).

I was unable to BF and so I got very sore engorged boobs and someone told me to put cabbage leaves in the freezer then put them in my bra and they really do work!

For c sections definately have massive knickers (panties) that will go over the scar. They sell great disposable maternity knickers at asda if you are in the UK.

Im curious about these specifically maternity pads, as i have never seen them here in the US, at least not in my area..the only thing ive *ever* seen specifically for pp bleeding and discharge has been when local big lots carried some they got in a buyout, but that was a few years ago, and they looked just like regular always pads (i think the brand was Incognito, and the pack was purple and said "great for new moms" on it or something like that)...i have currently packed in my bag a nearly full pack of always "super duper soak up all the things" maximum overnights, but now im concerned hearing everyone say that there are specific ones that dont absorb stitches, etc...any ideas would be lovely :flower:

Melly Belly, the only thing I can think of are the super thick pads that the hospitals provide. I've seen them at the office when I go for check ups. I wonder if you went to a Walmart or Target, if they have specific ones for "new moms". I have no idea. I'll have to check it out. I think someone also recommended Depends (adult diapers) for the first few days too. Yikes...that must been a lot of blood/fluids coming out. :shock:

Melly Belly, the only thing I can think of are the super thick pads that the hospitals provide. I've seen them at the office when I go for check ups. I wonder if you went to a Walmart or Target, if they have specific ones for "new moms". I have no idea. I'll have to check it out. I think someone also recommended Depends (adult diapers) for the first few days too. Yikes...that must been a lot of blood/fluids coming out. :shock:

Ive looked at walmart and target, i havent seen anything like that myself...i was at discount drug mart yesterday and thought i'd give it a look, and nothing different there either...and ive read/heard anything bigger than a lemon (a lemon?! yikes!) is cause for concern...so im ready for it to be terrible! :blush:

A lemon!! You mean like....clots and discharge sized lemon pieces after delivery? :shock:

Im curious about these specifically maternity pads, as i have never seen them here in the US, at least not in my area..the only thing ive *ever* seen specifically for pp bleeding and discharge has been when local big lots carried some they got in a buyout, but that was a few years ago, and they looked just like regular always pads (i think the brand was Incognito, and the pack was purple and said "great for new moms" on it or something like that)...i have currently packed in my bag a nearly full pack of always "super duper soak up all the things" maximum overnights, but now im concerned hearing everyone say that there are specific ones that dont absorb stitches, etc...any ideas would be lovely :flower:

In the uk there are kept separately from the normal pads. They are usually near the breast pads ect.

I had some pretty horrendous bleeding and clots. I took a towel to sit on everywhere for a week and spare trousers.
The maternity pads I had last time were bought in the section of the supermarket where the breast pads etc are not the sanitary towels.
This time I'm using washable.
Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back