its not looking good

princessellie

Pregnant with #3
Reaction score
she is getting weighed tomorrow to see if she has put on enough weight to not need formula and she has refused to feed all day :cry: ive had her latched on a few times and shes had a few sucks of milk but thats it! i gave her a bottle of expressed i had in the fridge and she guzzled it so she was obv hungry but she is still refusing to BF!! gutted!!

x

how you getting on with the double pump hun?? ps - do you still want some bottles or do you wanna wait till after tomrrow?? xx

the pump isnt that good tbh!! i can only get 1oz out of both even with double pumping, but i know i have milk cos she chokes on it again so i dont know :shrug: it used to be so easy to express, used to get 4oz from one so i dont know what happened there

yes i would still like the bottles please hun, am going to keep on with the expressing, second thing in the morning after shes fed and hopefully get better at it so i can one day drop the formula supplements (if it comes to that)

x

Have you tried a hand pump? I found it was better then the electric the hospital had.

i used to use a manual but that one doesnt seem to be working for me either :dohh: have tried 3 now, one manual, one electric and one hospital double lol, looks like my expressing days are numbered hehe

x

Have you tried hand expressing? I was rubbish at pumping and could always get that little bit more by hand.

Same thing happened to me. I used to be able to get about 4 or 5 oz out. I tried yesterday and got half an ounce! But I know theres still lots of milk because I can squirt it! Meadow is also starting to refuse the boob. She starts off ok but then gets pissed off after 5 or 10 mins.

I get loads more from hand expressing aswell its jsut very very time consuming!

well we got her weighed, shes now 9lbs 10oz so has only put on 1oz!!! the woman gave us some formula to give her while we were there and she took it really well, im not upset cos i knew she would she drinks anything haha, ive been told i have to give her 3oz 3x a day but not to give it at night like i was going to otherwise my milk will completely dry up, ah well...i tried my best, gonna keep feeding her BM as often as i can so i dont have to go onto full FF....gutted!

x

You have done really well babe. I think it could work well for you doing a bit of both xx

Don't lose heart hon.

Personally, I'd hold off on the formula unless she's clearly still hungry after taking whatever she can from the breast. We've had some issues with Hol's milk production seriously dropping off, but perseverance and patience have allowed it to return to normal.

This is the same advice we got from my mum (a MW, with 20 years maternity unit experience behind her). You're clearly concerned over the feeding issue, and the anxiety over that could well be impairing your production, and even if not, your LO will certainly be picking up on it. Also, a baby is able to get much more out of the breast than even the best pump, so even if you can only express 1oz, that doesn't mean that she's not getting enough, because she's almost certainly getting more.

Ultimately, she's gaining weight based solely on what she's getting from you, either direct from the breast, or expressed. It may be slower than your MW/HV may like, but as long as her weight is going up, she's ok.

the main reason they said it was urgent to get her weight up was that it has been so good until a couple of months ago, she gained her birth weight plus some after a few days and had been putting on 40g a day, which dropped to 7g and even with more feeding the past few days has only gone back up to 10g, i asked her if it was maybe bc leyla had been more active and she said shes too young for them to look at that, and she said that the fact that she sleeps a lot the past few days could be her body reserving energy because shes not getting enough nutrition :shock: id much rather give her a week of FF and know i can go back to BF than possibly risk her, if it was a recent thing id hold off but its been going on for months now

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->