IUD Question

kbk

Reaction score
Has one else had pregnancy-like symptoms with an IUD like Skyla?

My last two cycles had been shorter than normal and were around 3.5 weeks long. Right now I am 4 weeks 2 days and still no sign of AF. I know IUDs can make your period go away but I have had this IUD for over a year without that happening and I have had other symptoms as well. Three of the last 4 days I have had mild nausea at almost the exact same time in the afternoon. My breasts have been very tender and seem slightly larger than normal but I have had tenderness prior to AF with the IUD and know that the hormone in it can cause that. I did take a test yesterday and got BFN. I feel like I can explain away each of the symptoms but with all of them together I cannot help but wonder if I tested too early or if it is for sure negative and my cycle is just changing late with the IUD.

I know there is a very, very small chance of being pregnant with a properly placed IUD but I cannot shake the feeling that it is possible. I think I am being paranoid about it since I know that you are at a much higher risk of an ectopic pregnancy with an IUD. I'm posting about it on here to try to put my mind more at ease.

What are your thoughts/experiences?

I can't speak to your exact situation since my periods have completely gone away with my IUD. I've had the Mirena for about a decade and my most recent "hmmm could I be pregnant?" happened last month. My symptoms last month were: (1) tender breasts; (2) cramping; (3) nausea throughout the day; (4) loss of appetite; and (5) fatigue. I ended up doing a take home and had a BFN.

I've had these symptoms around 4/5 times through my 8 or so years on the Mirena.

The only way to know for sure though is to take a test! Let us know how it goes :)

Quick question for you: are you only able to track cycles if you have AF with an IUD? My SO and I are interested in transitioning to NFP and I want to start tracking my cycles as soon as a I can but imagine I need AF (i.e., to be off my IUD).

Thank you for your reply! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has had symptoms like this with an IUD. I took a test yesterday and it was BFN but I am planning on testing again in a few days if I keep feeling like this and if there's no sign of AF. I have been feeling more fatigued this past week and my appetite has been switching from below normal to above average throughout the day.

I have not really been tracking my cycles that well yet since we are probably about a year or so from TTC. I have just been making note of the start date of AF each month so I could get a better idea of the length of my cycle with the IUD so I could have a point of reference for whenever I have it removed. I'm very new to the whole tracking process. Taking Charge of Your Fertility is on my list of books to read so I can learn a bit more. I do not know if BBT testing or something of that sort would be useful for you or not while you still have your IUD.

I did. I SWORE I was pregnant and googled it but found that this was VERY common. I couldn't shake the feeling, kept taking tests... I got so crazy that I pulled out the IUD and 6 weeks later, I felt normal again and got my first cycle. I hated that thing!!!!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! I've never been pregnant but this month felt very different than all the previous ones and I would have guessed that's what it was. I took another test yesterday and it's definitely negative. I just think it is so odd that it took over a year of me having the IUD for these sort of symptoms to show up. I hope this doesn't continue every month now.

Unfortunately my options are fairly limited with hormonal b/c so I will be sticking with it until we are closer to ttc. I had a blood clot with Nuvaring :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->