IVF and exercise?

steph1607

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I start injections tomorrow for my first IVF cycle and as of yet, I haven't asked my doctor or nurse what the deal is with IVF and exercise.

I'm trying to do some research today to prepare myself for the possibility of them telling me to chill out... I don't want it to be a shock to me to be told not to exercise and then come across like a sulky teenager :haha:

I'm a runner - I do a couple of endurance runs every week, but my main thing is track sprinting. Even as I'm writing I'm realising that they are probably going to tell me not to run, but I still have a slight hope!

Anyone been in a similar position or know what my doctor's response might be?

:)

Hi Steph,

So my doc told me starting the day of or day after stims, not to do my work outs due to risk for ovarian torsion and stress to that area. I usually do circuit training, running, and weight lifting and I stopped it all. She said I could briskly walk. Not even yoga or intense stretching for risk of torsion. (Terrible I know!) I think walking is super boring, but I did it anyway. Honestly though, about 7 days into the stims I could feel my ovaries in there and it was uncomfortable to walk too fast and i was super tired from the meds. And after the ER, I was sore. And then after the tx, you are suppose to keep it chill as well. Now that we have a positive, and I am not sure what they will say. I'll let you know when I know! Good luck and I'm sorry for the bummer news. You will get it all back soon I'm sure! (At least that's what i'm telling myself..)
-KK

Thanks for the reply K and huge congratulations of course!

It is a bit of a bummer, but I think more than anything I just feel a bit stupid for not realising that this would be the case. I kind of thought I'd be able to do all my running and weight training, just maybe without the track sessions. I'm not a huge fan of walking, but will definitely do that rather than nothing! Hey ho, it is what it is, and hopefully all will be worth it.

I totally understand the disappointment. I felt like that too and I delayed this until the summer was over so I could get a ton of work outs in. I responded well both times, so I stuck to what they said. I worked out on the day between IVF 1 and 2 and I could feel it in my ovaries! It was still a heavy feeling...but it felt so good to get a hard work out in. Its good to be mentally prepared and have another stress reliever. Working out is mine..so that was hard not to have that. Thanks for the congrats and good luck! -K

Hi Steph! I’m so excited for you!

I was told only brisk walking was ok. I was even told no sex after day 5 of stims.

Can’t wait to see how this all goes for you! Rooting for you, girl!

KK, yes exercise is how I deal with everything in life so it sure is going to be hard!

Thank you so much Ask! Brisk walking it shall have to be! :hugs:

Oh, dear, you'd better wait with running. Medications you're taking stimulate your ovaries to enlarge as the follicles in each ovary grow. You need to protect your ovaries during this sensitive time and avoid strenuous training. High-intensity or high impact exercise puts your entire body under physical stress. It can compromise your body’s ability to respond to treatment. Your IVF cycle is not a time to push any limitations. The physical and emotional demands of treatment require a special level of self-care. You want to reduce stress of all types including this one. Over-exertion is your enemy here. Running is too hard on your body during this time. (Lifting heavy weights is dangerous as well). That's why being in your shoes I'd better stay appart from running at list for some time. Wish you all the best of luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->