• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

IVF-How many eggs collected from how many follies? (just out of interest!)

schoolteacher

Mummy to Jackson
Reaction score
Hi all! Would just like to compare how many eggs from how many follies ladies got in their ivf cycle! Please share below, I just think it would be really interesting to see the differences, or if there is a norm/pattern to be seen. I'm sure I have read that you can expect very roughly 2 thirds of the amount of follies in eggs? However I know that some ladies set an expectation of half the follies having eggs. Then some ladies end up with more eggs then they had follies!
On my first cycle I got 18 eggs from 30 follies, so just over half. This time I have 40 follies and will find out on Friday how many eggs!

Thanks in advance ladies! X

Hi all! Would just like to compare how many eggs from how many follies ladies got in their ivf cycle! Please share below, I just think it would be really interesting to see the differences, or if there is a norm/pattern to be seen. I'm sure I have read that you can expect very roughly 2 thirds of the amount of follies in eggs? However I know that some ladies set an expectation of half the follies having eggs. Then some ladies end up with more eggs then they had follies!
On my first cycle I got 18 eggs from 30 follies, so just over half. This time I have 40 follies and will find out on Friday how many eggs!

Thanks in advance ladies! X

Hi,

Thanks for the thread - I have been thinking the same thing! I had an early scan today (due to possible risk of ohss so have been on a lower dose of menopur) and was told that my follicles are coming along nicely but I did start to think about what that actually means. I also asked how many eggs come from follicles, the nurse said that it is unlikely to get more than one egg from a follicle but it is likely for follicles not to contain eggs. I think she said to expect between half and three quarters. I have just spent the last three quarters of an hour looking back through the posts in the success thread (I love that thread!) to see how many follies and eggs were produced for successful cycles. It seemed that there were quite a wide range - I couldn't really see any pattern but then again I couldn't make a decision on what biscuits to buy today - my main side effect from menopur is that I am really struggling to concentrate on things! :wacko:

Mine are usually all different sizes so the sonographer appears to give up counting.

IVF 1, I was told 5 and 'lots of smalls', but got 24 eggs collected.

IVF 2, I was told 10 and got 16 eggs.

IVF 3, I knew my antral follicle count was 24, during stimms I was told 'lots' and my stimm sheet showed around 10 over 14mm and 7 smalls. I got 30 eggs.

Do you think maybe some of my follicles contain 2 eggs or something?!

Hiya great thread st! I had 20 follies including small ones 13 over 14 mm and I got 9 eggs!

Touch I've been looking through that thread tonight for the same thing!!

Wow nell it really sounds like it with you! It's funny with us being at the same clinic, they have always been able to count how many on each side with me from the start, I don't know how they do it, they all look the same! Plus you seem to get lots more than they say, and I got much less! X

Toch- thanks so much for the info! Glad your doing well so far, on the next scan they might be able to tell you how many! X

Anyone else willing to share please? X

Kazza sorry I missed your post! It was partly you having ER today and getting 9 from 20, and me waiting for er that got me thinking! X

Kazza - I guess that the success thread is the one we all aspire to be posting in!! It is great that you can get so much information from it to help us on our way though. Congratulations on egg collection and a good number of eggs.

School Teacher - thanks! The nurse said I had 10 developing on my left ovary, 3 of which were a decent size and when she found my right ovary (it likes to hide in my back somewhere) I had 7 (3 of which were at a decent size). I am being scanned again on friday and again on monday and probably heading for ec towards end of next week. When I read your post about having 40 I did feel for you - that must be really uncomfortable. Must feel like you have watermelons for ovaries ! Not sure why but the scene from Dirty Dancing 'I carried a watermelon' just popped into my head with the guy trying to carry them.... honestly how the mind wanders!

Perhaps when they count the follicles at scans it is a bit of guess work but when they collect the eggs they must have a clear idea of how many follicles they enter? :shrug:

x

St - its had me thinking all afternoon!!

Toch I dream of posting in that thread! Look forward to hearing how you get on xxx

Wow nell it really sounds like it with you! It's funny with us being at the same clinic, they have always been able to count how many on each side with me from the start, I don't know how they do it, they all look the same! Plus you seem to get lots more than they say, and I got much less!

It's odd isn't it? TBH like I say on the last cycle they gave up looking at my scan and just said 'lots'. I wonder if it's because you egg share that they want to take time count accurately maybe.....to be sure there'll be a good yield for the receiver and help manage expectations? Wheras with me it doesn't matter, if there are 2 or 3 that are ready we're still going to EC and it's a bonus when there's more sort of thing?
Or maybe they do count accurately with me and I have a few double egg follicles.

That's my thoughts exactly nell regarding the egg sharing.
Also- I'm pretty sure that if I wasn't egg sharing they would have triggered me Monday!

Thanks Toch - yeah I'm mega uncomfy tbh, significantly more than last time! X

Kazza-look forward to FR tommorrow! X

Thanks whisper! That's exactly the same as me last time, 18 from 30! X

I had 90+ folliciles (they kind of gave up counting) with 57 mature eggs collected. 33 fertilized and 12 made it to day 5 blastocysts.

Good luck with your cycles ladies!

Hi, I had about 12 follicles on my last scan before ec that were over 10mm and about another 12 that were 10mm and under, they retrieved 12 eggs. My clinic generally favours the short antagonist cycle and I believe on this cycle u do get less eggs but the nurses kept stressing to me that it was quality not quantity that mattered and they weren't aiming to get more than 8 to 10 eggs. I think there's so much about ivf that is unpredictable and I think it's important to remember you only need 1 good one.

Blimey RGN! That is the most I have ever heard of on here so far! Was the ohss really bad? Did they delay transfer and freeze them all?xx

Thanks Minty, you are right about needing just one!

Though with egg sharing you have to get at least 8, on their won't split them with the other lady and won't let you egg share again! So I guess your right about 8 being a good amount for one person as, some do get lost along the way, especially if they try and push to blast. xxx

ST Yes if you're egg sharing they would aim to get more, I didn't make it to blast out of 12 eggs we had 6 embryos, and by day 3 only 1 was at the stage they require minimum of 4 to be at to go to blast, I was so upset about not getting to blast and had 2 embryos transferred on day 3, the others were cultured but didn't make it to blast stage and I was convinced the cycle wouldn't work, I feel so blessed to be 12 weeks pregnant, I pray everyone gets their bfps

Hey all I had collection yesterday, 7 BIG follicles and 6 eggs retrived, had the call today to say 4 were fertilised so going for transfer tomorrow eekkk so excited! They will decide then if I have 1 or 2 but back in, Im scared but so excited x

Fantastic new Minty! Just shows you don't need many, and you don't have to get to blast!!x

Best of luck Northernmonke! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"