• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

jamba juice/smoothies: should i be worried?

vkj73

Reaction score
i had a smoothie today from jamba juice. since it wasn't unpasteurized, i'm worried now.

have you had smoothies from a store?

part of me thinks it'll be ok, but then i did the infamous "google search" down the rabbit hole.:nope:

the worry is just never ending, isn't it?:wacko:

I have been living on smoothies from my local health food store and the smoothie cart - what's wrong with smoothies?

this is from fitpregnancy.com:

"Exhibit A: Jamba Juice, who just expanded their menu to include a line of Whole Food Nutrition smoothies, made with kale, carrots, chia seeds, and Greek yogurt—and no added sugar. They’ve also added more fresh fruits and vegetables to their juices. Think: apples, pineapples, oranges, and beets. (Pregnant women should wait, since the juices are non-pasteurized.)"

You have to go with whatever you feel comfortable with but personally I would say the gain of all those lovely nutrients would outweigh the risks! (If it's a reputable outlet and you have used it before etc!)
But that's just me, iv never in my 33 years caught salmonella off runny eggs (In fact used to eat raw eggs in smoothies) , never caught listeria off bagged unwashed salad or from ice cream , never got I'll from medium cooked steak etc etc etc
In fact the only time iv ever got sick off food is from seafood in Goa! Twice!

So whilst I wouldn't eat raw fish or a rare steak I do eat all these other things plus buffet food and luncheon meat etc!

Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy!
:flower:

hon, they have to put that writing on the label by law. i personally think there is too much paranoia about the whole pasteurization thing. that process exists in food industry for about 100 years and apparently human race has survived even before ;)

I wouldn't see why fruit juices need to be pasteurized as you'd eat raw fruit and it would be perfectly safe. I think with milk and cheese I would be more careful because the risk is Listeria and although the risk is very very tiny, pregnant women are twenty times more likely than the general population to catch Listeria and the effects are very dangerous for your baby. That isn't to say I think anyone ought to panic about eating unpasteurized dairy by mistake because like I said, the risks are tiny but there are good reasons to avoid it.

ETA: From what it says on the label I would think that juice is fine as I'm sure yoghurt is pasteurized anyway.

I make vegetable and fruit juices at home and never thought it'd be anything but nutritious. The only thing I don't add is pineapple.

I second some of the comments above.... Each has the right to eat and drink what they choose but you could go crazy about all the " dos and donts"

Haha I was super strict my first pregnancy, but now that I'm embarking on my third, eh.... I will def take precautions with the serious no nos, but I think it's all a bit extreme.... To each their own tho

If it makes you feel any better I just had a smoothie from McDonalds of all places! And I'm pretty sure there isn't even any real fruit in there..!

I agree with Cattia. I think the danger of unpasteurized juices lies in bottled juices that have been sitting on the shelf. For example I would personally avoid juice from Organic Avenue. Something that goes from fruit to liquid in a blender right in front of you can't possibly be any different than eating a whole piece of fruit (safety-wise).

Its all good. Was a pleasant surprise :)

Also, this is me right now. Carrot, apple, ginger, beet, spinach. I am a picky eater with a poor diet so right now smoothies are the best way to get my veggies.
https://i61.tinypic.com/2w2jygi.jpg

I love smoothies. Are they all to be avoided or just the jamba juice ones? I make my own a lot with protein mix and whatever fruit I have for the day...is that bad?

The danger is unpasteurized juices - in a bottle that have been sitting in a fridge or shelf. Nothing wrong with smoothies from fresh fruit or veggies (as long as they are washed) or from pasteurized juices.

https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesforyou/healtheducators/ucm082417.htm

thanks everyone. it seems like part of the issue is if the employees are properly washing their produce/hands/counters/etc. at the end of the day, food poisoning can happen anywhere.

with that said, i will probably stick to smoothies at home. mod19, my acupuncturist recommended protein power that is plant based (to avoid soy). i found one i really like:
https://myvega.com/product/protein-smoothie/

also, if it's flash pasteurized juiced like odwalla, i'd probably drink that.

good luck to all.:hug:

Thanks vkj. I can't stomach the Vega protein. I use jay Robb. There's no soy in it...I don't think...now I need to double check. I don't think there is though. I usually avoid soy anyways but have been really cautious since my bfp.

and btw, regarding protein drinks - although proteins are important and should be provided in pregnancy more than usually, there's a certain misconception on how much protein in food we actually do need.

proteins are not a main source of energy at all. the main source of energy for animals and humans are fat and carbs/sugar.

proteins are molecular machines and building blocks for our bodies, not an energy source. it's like mistaking bricks and excavators for fuel. fuel provides energy needed for the body, bricks and excavators use it to build.

that said, proteins CAN be used by catabolic pathways of our bodies as an energy source in extreme situations such as disease, extreme physical requirements and so on (just remember how your leg muscles feel after running a high fever for a week)... but they provide way less energy than fat and carbs, at higher metabolic expense (slower degradation, takes more to process).

there's a misconception on how much protein we need in western culture as the media is pushing so hard on it, and even more misinformation on foods containing them - every unprocessed food has them. simply because plant and animal cells are made mainly of proteins and water (even the adipocytes contain protens!!). meaning if you eat an apple or have a smoothie alone, it already contains proteins.

fat is labeled as bad by the media when what actually makes you gain weight and messes up your metabolism are simple sugars, that raise your glucose blood levels quickly and make them drop as quickly so you feel a rush and then hungry again.

also, the main fat available through a typical western diet is animal one, which is saturated and tougher to process fully than the plant one. so yes, you do get coronary diseases if you overdo with saturated fats. but you actually benefit from those unsaturated and poli-unsaturated way more than you'd benefit from a protein.

our bodies are made to demolish and use mainly fat (when they can get to use it, since we overload them with sugars which then get the priority), not protein.
but the medicine & the media of today would rather splatter people with supplements and adds here and there making you feel you absolutely need this and that so that you end up buying their products, rather than just say: hey, if you just eat a ton of fruit and veggies and avoid processed sugars, it will do.

all this biochemistry assay to say that smoothies rock and rock as well as without additional supplements in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"