jaundice- should i stop? am i doing this right?

onemoreplease

mama to 3 under 5
Reaction score
Hi, this may be very long, sorry, got so many things going round in my head.

I had Myiah on Friday by planned c section and have been bf since then, she seems to be feeding ok but I am not sure how to tell if she is getting milk or if its enough. She has about 8 nappy changes a day. Her poo is bright bright yellow, is this right? She is feeding roughly every 2 hours but the time varies, she'll drink for between 5 and 20 mins before falling asleep. Is this long enough for her to get the hind milk and how can I tell if she is drinking not just sucking. Arrrgghh I've got so many questions, I just feel so unsure as to whether I'm getting this right and not starving her, and today the midwife has said she's jaundice which has put more pressure on me, I feel like I'm failing her. If any of you could answer even one of these questions it would be great.
Sorry again for the long jumbled up post xx

You can get vitamin d drops. In Canada they are recommended for breastfeeding women to give to their babies, especially in the winter. They are a natural supplement and breastmilk does not contain vitamin d.

Also try and get her in the sun as much as you can, I was even told putting them in their bouncy chair in a sunny window will help.

I dont think jaundice is anything to stop bf over though!

Good luck.

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job!!! It is really overwhelming to bf at first, it will get easier though. The poo should be yellow. Jaundice is very normal in newborns, not uncommon at all. It has nothing to do with the breastfeeding. It really does sound like she is getting enough to eat and you are being a wonderful mum to do this for her.

hi the feeding sounds just like my little one when she was that age, i was told that if it was a short feed eg 5 min to go back to the same boob for the next feed. also try tickling the feet or back of neck to keep them awake, or taking the baby gro off. good luck :)

It sounds to me like you are doing brilliant and that she is getting enough. Jaundice is very common, have they recommended treatment, if not it is a mild case that will clear up by itself. It is also normal for babies to lose some weight in the first few days.

Thomas had a bit of jaundice so i know how scary it is but really nobody else seemed very worried about it. Even if the levels are higher and she needs light therapy it is still not very serious because it can be treated very effectively.

I had a planned c-section too because Thomas was breech, I hope you are recovering OK from the surgery. Make sure that you take it easy, the only thing that you should be doing at the moment is feeding your baby and getting as much rest as you possibly can. It really sounds like you are doing a great job, it is so worrying at first when you don't know how much they are getting but the best way to tell is if they are having enough wet and dirty nappies and then later on if they are gaining weight. Keep up the good work!!

My LO had jaundice the first couple weeks.
What I did was gave Vitamin D drops, tried to give him as much sun as possible, lots of skin to skin, and I did supplement an ounce a day, something I am not doing anymore, as his weight gain has stabilized (he was born at 36 weeks, so we had to be extra careful)
I would literally sit in a window (it doesn't have to be sunny to get those UV rays) feeding him skin to skin.
I beat that one, and it was pretty borderline having to have him go back to the hospital to get treated for it.

sound like you are doing fine, both my kids had jaundice, it is just a product of breaking down haemaglobin i think, all to do with labour, it can make them very sleepy so it is good that baby is feeding little and often.
get as much daylight as you can, even strip lighting will help.
bright yellow poo is fine and totally normal.

You are doing a great job! :thumbup: My LO had slight jaundice when he was 5-6 days old. It cleared up pretty quick. Keep doing exactly what you are doing. Get LO near a window for a few minutes at a time with her skin exposed to the sun. The poos should be mustard yellow, so that sounds good, too. Eventually you will start seeing little seed like bits in it.

So far, so good! Way to go, mommy!

Hi, this may be very long, sorry, got so many things going round in my head.

I had Myiah on Friday by planned c section and have been bf since then, she seems to be feeding ok but I am not sure how to tell if she is getting milk or if its enough. I used to tell myself well if hes not crying hes not hungry, cuz ud no f ya baba was hungry. Plus the dirty and wet nappies are a really good indication sometimesShe has about 8 nappy changes a day. Her poo is bright bright yellow, is this right? Totally normal, watch out for green as this is an indiation that baba needs more hind milkShe is feeding roughly every 2 hours but the time varieswish mine wud go that long lol, when baba goes through a growth spurt, she want to feed more frequently, she'll drink for between 5 and 20 mins before falling asleep. Is this long enough for her to get the hind milk and how can I tell if she is drinking not just sucking. Arrrgghh I've got so many questions, I just feel so unsure as to whether I'm getting this right and not starving her,a hungry baby will let u no! and today the midwife has said she's jaundice which has put more pressure on me,mine was jaundice, bf doesnt affect it, just needs some sunlight I feel like I'm failing her. If any of you could answer even one of these questions it would be great.
Sorry again for the long jumbled up post xx

your doing great :hug: it is difficult to start with but we are all here for u and to answer any questions u have! and remember it does get better the 6 week mark will hit u in no time! xx

Thank you all so much for replying, its great to hear that this is all totally normal and I'm mostly getting it right, just reading your posts gives me so much more confidence to carry on. Thank you all again xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->