Job hunting while TTC

writingislove

Reaction score
I'm not technically job hunting, but I am miserable at my current job. A professional acquaintance recently referred me for a really amazing opportunity, and after an initial phone interview, I have the face-to-face interview on Monday. Things are sounding very promising.

The thing is, I absolutely can't bring myself to put a pause on TTC. DH and I have talked and decided we would keep trying even if I got a new job...especially because it's unlikely to happen right away since my thyroid level is still way too high.

I'm really torn on what to do IF I do get offered this position. The company is HUGE on employee happiness and well-being, but if for some reason we conceived right away, I wouldn't be eligible for FMLA. I know it would be in the company's hands to decide how to handle it, but I'm just curious how other women in this situation have gone about making the decision what to do. I'd like to find out what the company's policies are on maternity leave and/or short term disability, but I don't know how to ask about it without being obvious. Advice, anyone?

I'm curious on this too. I'm in a similar boat, as we're currently TTC, and I have a job interview this week. I'm actually quite happy at my current job, but a recruiter just contacted me about what could be a dream job...and potentially a good bit more money.

I think I'm going to go through the interview process and see what the job is all about. IF I get a job offer and IF I decide I'm interested, I think I would have an honest conversation with them before accepting the position. I'd explain that I'm TTC and see how flexible they are on maternity benefits to employees that don't qualify for FMLA. I wouldn't expect any pay, etc...but I do plan on taking the full 12 weeks off and would want their assurance that my position would be waiting when I come back. Otherwise, I think I would decline the job.

I'd be really interested in hearing how others have dealt with this situation!

Lotus, thank you for the response! I had been contemplating doing that same thing. I'm curious to see if anyone else has taken that approach and how it turned out.

I'm in this boat. I have a job but am hunting elsewhere and TTC (just started though and who knows how long it will take). From my research, it's just going to depend on where you end up and how they tolerate it. We decided to proceed anyway because I can't put my life on hold for a what-if situation and I figure it will not be disclosed UNTIL I get a job offer. It is illegal for an employer to not offer a job because they know you're pregnant, but I figure it will give me an opportunity to gauge their reaction to the news and judge for myself whether or not I want to proceed given the response and how far along I am (if at all).

In some cases, benefits may not be available which would just mean a combination of paid and unpaid time off, which I'm willing to take as most maternity leave policies require you to use up your PTO anyway. Some high profile CEOs (Yahoo, YouTube) recently took their positions while very pregnant and have really shed a light on how insignificant a small time away to give birth and bond truly is in the course of a career. It's definitely inspired me to do what's best for myself professionally and personally!

Ok, all done with that. Hope that helps! :thumbup:

I'm almost on the same boat. Just got a new job and TTC. What worries me is the stress level which is unknown :/

How long have you been trying?

I put off applying to the company that I wanted, for over a year because I though 'this month will be it', but it never was. T
I finally decided that I couldn't put my career on hold any longer, applied, got hired and almost a year later we are still ttc.

It's hard, but don't put everything in life on hold, you never know what will happen. Maybe you get your dream job, and find out your pregnant the next month, any good employer wont(cant) hold that against you. At this point you aren't pregnant (that I know of) so go for the opportunity!

Not sure what country you live in. But where I live they are not allowed to ask any personal questions (ie. Family planning) during the here process or any time during employment.
It shouldn't matter!
If they are allowed to ask that I'm your country, then yes be honest. If not, then it's none of their business at that point.

Not sure what country you live in. But where I live they are not allowed to ask any personal questions (ie. Family planning) during the here process or any time during employment.
It shouldn't matter!
If they are allowed to ask that I'm your country, then yes be honest. If not, then it's none of their business at that point.

It's none of their business, and they aren't allowed to ask, but I think Writing's concern is that if a woman is not in a particular position for a year or more, than the Family Medical Leave Act does not apply to her. So, if she was pregnant sooner than threeish months into a new job, her employer would not have to guarantee her position during a maternity leave. I think a lot of companies who offer additional maternity leave benefits also have a year long waiting period before they would kick in.

I am also looking for a new job, and this is also a concern for me, Writing. My current plan is to see if a potential employer introduces me to HR early enough on to ask most of my questions there, and THEN to discuss the issue with the hiring person after. I cannot take an unpaid leave, so if there is NO WAY a company would extend benefits to me, I'd have to decline an offer or pause TTC. The HR person should be able to tell me that. If the extension of benefits is negotiable, then I would discuss the issue with the hiring person later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->