Jobs and Pregnancy

cmp

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm WTT, but this is a question that has been causing me some concern. (already, yes, I get a little overly worried about, well, everything) I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but figured since the 1st tri is going to be when I panic the most, this would work.

What are your jobs and how do they affect your pregnancy? I am a waitress, which is no big deal, but I'm also a butcher. I don't have to pick up half a cow or anything, our meat comes broken down into smaller packages, but I regularly pick up 20+lbs every day, through my whole shift. Some boxes that I have to move just short distances can weigh up to 100lbs...these boxes would only be moved from one stack to another so I can get to the box under it and 100lbs is not all that common, usually they're around 80lbs. I read somewhere that lifting heavy weights too high is a problem too, I have to pick up tubs of anywhere from 10-65lbs about chest high, depending on the day. I don't have a problem moving any of it now, but how dangerous is this going to be when I'm pregnant?

These 2 jobs also mean I'm on my feet for the whole shift...at least 6 hours at each job, sometimes both in the same day. I REALLY don't want to quit either job, I enjoy them and options are few and far between here, but now I'm really concerned that I'm setting myself up for failure already.

I'm not sure of the exact weights that are "safe" so I would research that. Your employer should carry out a health & safety assessment when you tell them you're pregnant. Can't help with specifics as I had an office job with DD & now I'm a SAHM.
Good luck though for when you decide to try!

My job involves heavy lifting (up to 25kg sacks) but thankfully I only work two days a week.

I'm in law enforcement. I had to tell my employer early on because my job involves physically handing people and has a good potential for violent altercations. I told my employer after my first scan. I am now pretty much on desk duty for the remainder of the pregnancy. I am allowed some "fresh air" but only if the probability of a physical altercation is low.

I would speak with your OB about your job once you're pregnant and tell your employer early. They will make accommodations for you. Pregnancy is protected and has to be accommodated.

I think if your used to it youll be ok for the 1st few months atleast. Is there anyway to recuce the amonut you lift

I think basically we can continue to "lift" what we were before pregnancy. ...I did some research as I go to the gym and lift weights ect ... but to be honest I really don't feel like lifting what I use to and I'm sure you'll feel the same too .... I would be more worried about the angle your lifting and posture ect ... I'm a singer in a band and I help with big heavy speakers ... the weight isn't too much of a problem but it's awkward and I'm worried I'll slip and do myself & baby damage .... so I'm just being sensible what I lift and how :) is there anyone who would be able to help you when the time comes ? Xxx

I work at Occupational Health in a hospital and so we see a lot of people get work restrictions because of their pregnancy.

It depends on the labour laws where you live of course, but if your doctor gives you restrictions for your job (lifting, taking a 10 min break every hour to give you the chance to sit down, etc), then I imagine your job will attempt to accommodate those restrictions. I would imagine your doctor would have an idea of what your job is legally required to do regarding any restrictions. You can probably also look into it online yourself.

With that being said, my own doctor told me that physically, and obviously not taking into account any potential complications, you can pretty much do what your body is used to doing while you're in the first trimester. It's all dependant on your comfort level and your own doctor's advice though of course.

Thank you everyone, I do have other options, I'm at a grocery store as a butcher, so I can easily be switched to the deli or the registers...I just would rather cut meat. There is only me and 1 other guy that cut meat and I do not want him to have to go back to work every single day like he did before I was hired. I suppose if I have to, I can have someone carry the stuff to the table for me, I just like to do things myself, and I don't want my boss to have to pay someone to work with me because I generally work alone.

My boss would let me sit whenever I feel the need, he wouldn't be a problem at all...he's actually told me I should get pregnant, which I find hilarious. There's been a few pregnant people there, just they all work at the register or the deli and don't have to worry about lifting stuff.

I could probably get something with wheels to set the stuff on and roll it from the cooler to the meat room, but I would still have to lift it from the cart to the table if I was alone. I don't like to be a burden to anyone, I don't want my boss to shell out unnecessary money for extra people..the "helpers" that sometimes are in the meat room are borderline useless...but at the same time I certainly don't want my coworker to have to pick up my slack if I'm stuck at the register/deli...both of which are jobs I don't particularly care for.

I am still doing strength training in my first trimester, and here is what I have been able to find out about lifting things: if you were lifting something easily already, you can continue to lift that weight. Do not strain to lift anything or do the kind of lifting where you hold your breath (i.e. don't do the valsalva maneuver). Finally, my OB specifically told me that in a healthy pregnancy lifting heavy things is not a problem for the baby, the problem is that as our joints get more flexible later in the pregnancy we are more likely to throw our backs out. So just be really careful to lift with the right form. It sounds like you're already really comfortable lifting the weights you have to lift, so I hope this helps reassure you.

On the other hand, I would predict that later in your pregnancy you won't want to be on your feet that much, due to swelling. Everything just gets more tiring almost right away, including lifting things. Also, in the first trimester smells can be an issue. I can't imagine smelling raw meat at the moment, so just be aware that things that smelled fine to you before might trigger morning sickness. But that will pass after a couple months.

Jobs during pregnancy sucks.

Full stop.

I am a business owner, me and my hubby own a restaurant (not half as glamorous as it sounds).

It is a hard daily work. Hard physically (I am also a chef) and hard emotionally (dealing with people, their private lives and problems is the harder life).

It is only the beginning, at at the moment we have used almost all our savings up to invest in a restaurant.
If it doesn' t start bringing money in soon, at least to cover the costs, we will go bankrupt.
It has taken a huge emotional tall on me.

I feel depressed and like there is no way out.
There are days when I just want to stay in the bed and hide.

I wish I didn' t have to work.

And, I am at the point of regretting ever starting my own business - really, being an employee is so so much more easier.

The weights thing, just lift what you know you can lift comfortably without strain.
The other thing is there's something about pregnant women handling raw lamb. Not sure if the details now but I remember the health and safety officer at work explaining it when she risk assessed me with my first pregnancy.
I work as a housekeeper in student accommodation, lots of lifting, leaning, stretching, carrying etc so told the bosses pretty much straight away so I could get risk assessed again and things be put in place to help me as the pregnancy continues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->