Just a few drinks?

lldelic0uzll

Reaction score
So, a week or two ago, I found out I was pregnant! YAY! My boyfriend and I are hoping, praying, and wishing so hard for a little girl. We have 2 boys already and I honestly need more estrogen in this house! :) Now, heres my question....
Ive read so many things that say, an occasional drink is ok, having a glass of wine/beer everyday is fine, having a few drinks one time during pregnancy is ok. Now, I had already scheduled a New Year's Eve party at my home with many friends and lots of alcohol. I actually have no issue with no drinking but would like to have a few beers that night. Meaning, no more than 3 or 4 of course. I dont plan on getting drunk, just want to socially drink. Is this acceptable? I know theres concerns of misscarriage with drinking in the first trimester. Has anyone done this and their child been fine? Im just trying to get an idea of everyone elses experience. I know everyone is different, but it would help me decide if this is a bad decision or not. Thank you for any input!
Brenda

I really think that its entirely up to you. You have to weigh up the pros and cons and decide from there.

there are no safe amount of alcool you can drink while pregnant according to studies. Research say that it is best to not drink at all while pregnant since the effects on the baby are not known.

As for me, I did allow myself one glass of wine with my turkey dinner yesterday... I drank a sip here and there for about five hours and had juice or pop most of the time. I love wine and wanted to indulge a bit. I had a few glasses of wine (one only each time) during my first pregnancy and my son was ok... I will more than likely do the same thing this time around while always being very carefull.

It is a very personnal choice and I will not tell you what to do other than be carefull. If you drink 3 or 4 you might not want to stop after that... I personnaly would not go farther than one that I enjoy throughout the night. Maybe have Mocktails so you don't feel you are missing out too much!

I really think that its entirely up to you. You have to weigh up the pros and cons and decide from there.

To be honest, Im not the selfish of a parent yanno? If I knew that it would DEFINITELY cause damage, I wouldnt do it at all. I havent so far and done plan on it after. Ive been taking great care of myself since finding out Im pregnant. So I figure one time, will that be absolutely horrible? Ive seen women drink their entire pregnancy and have healthy babies. I guess thats why theres no definite answers as to if its ok or not.....

I know that some women drink/drugs what ever during their pregnancy and their babies are fine but there is the flip to that plus there are woman that do everything right and sadly their babies are born with some thing wrong.

Its a very personal decision. x

there are no safe amount of alcool you can drink while pregnant according to studies. Research say that it is best to not drink at all while pregnant since the effects on the baby are not known.

As for me, I did allow myself one glass of wine with my turkey dinner yesterday... I drank a sip here and there for about five hours and had juice or pop most of the time. I love wine and wanted to indulge a bit. I had a few glasses of wine (one only each time) during my first pregnancy and my son was ok... I will more than likely do the same thing this time around while always being very carefull.

It is a very personnal choice and I will not tell you what to do other than be carefull. If you drink 3 or 4 you might not want to stop after that... I personnaly would not go farther than one that I enjoy throughout the night. Maybe have Mocktails so you don't feel you are missing out too much!

See, I saw a lot of studies that even said I shouldnt drink tea or soda because of the caffeine. Obviously, caffeine and alcohol have different affects on your baby. With my first son, I had half a beer on New Year's and couldnt drink anymore because I hated the way it tasted, but I was also 6 months along that time. Im not going to be drinking to get a buzz or anything like that. Its going to be a long night and figured that 3-4 beers spanned throughout 7-9 hours would be ok? And I dont plan on drinking anymore than that. Im actually hoping that I take a sip of beer and instantly poor it out. That way, my mind would be at ease and I wouldnt feel guilty. Im just trying to see if there are any other women out there that had 3-4 drinks at ONE TIME during their pregnancy and everything turned out ok....

To be honest, Im not the selfish of a parent yanno? If I knew that it would DEFINITELY cause damage, I wouldnt do it at all. I havent so far and done plan on it after. Ive been taking great care of myself since finding out Im pregnant. So I figure one time, will that be absolutely horrible? Ive seen women drink their entire pregnancy and have healthy babies. I guess thats why theres no definite answers as to if its ok or not.....

And there's been woman with babies born with FAS after only drinking v occassionally. It just depends how you weigh up the odds. There is no right answer - we know that from how the health authorities cant even make up their minds what is a 'safe' amount. But the only way to ensure there is no risk to your child is not to drink at all.

I know that some women drink/drugs what ever during their pregnancy and their babies are fine but there is the flip to that plus there are woman that do everything right and sadly their babies are born with some thing wrong.

Its a very personal decision. x

Oh I completely agree. I feel so horrible for those women that have tried to concieve for so long, finally make it, do the entire pregnancy the right way with no sacrifices for themselves, and something ends up wrong. But you are right, I guess Ill have to decide what Ill do. I still have a little less than a week to decide, so thank you for the input!

Well Asda does alcohol free becks and carlsberg beers! They taste very good and you can't tell there's no alcohol - I drunk these In pubs too on Christmas eve and really didn't feel like I was missing anything! I did treat myself to a baileys and ice on Christmas day evening though but my personal choice is that I would have one no more. And that would be only occassionally! Honest there's some nice alcohol free beers, ciders and wine out there! It's like mind over matter! Xx

have a google for Foetal Alcohol syndrome and weigh up if you can live with yourself if your child gets a 100% preventable mental handicap.

Personal choice.

Like drugs. It might not be the first one that causes the damage.....

personally i wouldnot risk even having one drink during my pregnancy but i am having a bit of a bad time and this is my 1st pregnancy. It is your choice and im sure with u having had 2 children you will know what is right for you and your baby.

x

It really is a personnal choice. Other woman have done it and had healthy babies, others, like a friend of mine lost her baby at 11 weeks after deciding to have a few drinks. Was loosing her baby related to her drinking? Don't know for sure, but I know that this time around she decided to not touch any type of alcoolic drinks.

Honey, the opinions on the subjects are very different from one person to the other. The same goes for what is and what is not safe to eat or drink during pregnancy! Do what feels right for you, that is the most important. Whatever you chose to eat or drink while pregnant is all up to you. You can go crazy trying to read all the what to avoid while pregnant web sites, books and magazines. THey all contradict each other. Again, do what is right for you. I will also tell you to do what feels right for you once you have your baby. There will always be someone telling you that you should do something differently, to not do it at all or to do something you are not already doing. Do what feels right to you!

Here in Canada they generally say no to all alcohol and don't recommend any amount.

Like everyone else has said, it's really recommended not to drink alcohol because you never know if it will or will not affect your baby negatively. The thing is, I feel that every bite of food or drink is going straight to the baby and helping it develop. I try to ask myself if it is something that will help make my baby heathlier in the long run, and then decide. Good luck, and remember you can have a great time just hanging out with friends; they will completely understand and respect your decision if you decide not to drink.

I am currently ttc and do NOT advise drinking. I love to drink, but have not taken a sip of alcohol due to the horrible things that can happen to the baby and I am not even pregnant. Miscarriage is very common and if you miscarry you may always blame the "3 or 4" drinks you had. I am a school teacher and see first hand all the learning disabilities children have. Many of these disabilities are blamed on the mother drinking and doing drugs. Many women think their babies are perfectly healthy and then when they reach school-age all the learning problems set in. 3 or 4 beers are not worth it. I would buy some sparkling cider or grape juice and drink it out of a wine glass. I would not even think to take such a risk.

Is it worth it? Does the baby mean more to you or the drink? Especially at such a young gestation too i wouldn't be having any at all but that is just my opinion!

It's a personal choice.

Personally, while we were TTC, we didnt touch anything. And since becoming pregnant, I will not touch even wine.

I guess thats why theres no definite answers as to if its ok or not.....

I think thats correct...as some people drink, do drugs and smoke all the way through pregnancy and have healthy babies.

Personally, I dont deny myself of the occasional drink now and again. I also drank now and again with my son and he is perfectly healthy but other people arent so lucky, so it really is YOUR choice hun.

it is a personal choice, i do think the alcohol free beer is a gr8 idea! On xmas day i didnt touch a drop, i was getting forced by my mil to have a bucks fizz, sahe was insisting it would be fine and yeah it probably would but for me i just wouldnt enjoy drinking it because of my personal views on it, i didnt drink while we were ttc either so im not really missing it, my SIL was at xmas dinner too she is 4 weeks further on than me and she had a few glasses of wine with dinner, it really is an individual choice x

I had a small glass of champagne on Christmas Day and will have a spritzer at the end of next month at a club do. And most probably only have one spritzer a month, but i won't feel quilty about it. I do think having 3/4 beers on New Years Eve is too much

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->