Just a few drinks?

I had a glass of bucks fizz on Christmas Day, and half a glass of champagne with my parents when we told them the news. I also had half an inch of ginger wine the other week as well. I don't feel bad about that as they were special occassions and tiny amounts taken over a long period of time. (I have always been a sloooooow drinker!)

However I certainly wouldn't have 3 or 4 in a night. All of the advice I have seen states either nothing at all, or one or two units once a week kind of thing. I think common sense has to prevail, but I think 3 or 4 is pushing it. Just say no, abstaining is only for a few months!

On a related note, my mother told me at the weekend that after having had me she was pregnant, she went to a close friend's party. The friend didn't know she was pregnant and handed her what she described as a 'small drink'. My mum drank it, discovering it was some vodka and gin concoction! Bear in mind my mother is a nurse, and very up to date with what should and shouldn't be done. Back then (nearly 30 yrs ago...eeek!) there was no recommendation not to drink., all was considered ok. However a day later she miscarried. As she says, she can't know whether the strong alcohol definitely did it, but she suspects it contributed. She later fell with my sister, so all is well that ends well!

I had a small glass of wine yesterday and on Christmas Day, but that'll be it for me now I reckon. I don't particularly think there's a huge risk, but personally I wouldn't have more than one drink at a time.

Three or four beers over that time period won't give you a buzz either, so what's the point?

Its entirely up to you hun, lots of people dont find out they are pregnant till about 2-3 months along and have been drinking all that time and their babies end up okay, but if i was you i wouldnt chance it. It really is upto you though, chances are everything will be okay, but if you m/c you might be wondering if it was the drink which caused it.

Really down to you at the end of the day.
Plus you may have your first drink and find your "off" alcohol! During my 1st pregnancy I couldnt stand the smell let alone a taste!

Me personally I wouldnt drink that amount in one evening whilst pregnant.
I think when some say its ok to drink in pregnancy they mean one drink ever so often and as someone said drink it with water along side so your not dehydrated etc....

But at the end of the day....9 months is not that long to not have a drink for the sake of your unborn child? there will be other Chrstmasses and New Years to enjoy!

Fair enough I had a sip of wine and champagne on Christmas Day but that was it.

Emma.xx

It sounds like you made up your mind. I do think three or four beers is a lot. I would be drunk on that!! My rule is don't do anything I might regret if something bad happened.

I am absolutely aware that everything I eat or drink I share with the baby. Plus the placenta blocks harmful things out for the baby but doesn't have the strenth or power to block out alcohol or tobacco so I'm going for alcohol free beer or mocktails and will enjoy myself just the same. I think I can go 9 months without harmful food or drinks for the sake of my baby and will indulge in a nice smelling cream for my skin or a nice hair do instead...

It's up to you but I do feel 3-4 drinks in one day is too much.

Thank you for being open minded and saying the decision is mine. I honestly know that its all up to me and that everything lies on what I do, dont do, eat, drink, dont drink, dont eat, etc. And youre right, EVERY book, magazine, and internet page, contradict one another. Funny how that works out lol I would NEVER do something to purposely hurt my child but I feel if I have 2 beers ONE time in my pregnancy, Ill be ok. I dont plan on drinking AT ALL the rest of my pregnancy but I figure, this is a large social situation and I kind of want to feel involved. I love being pregnant, later in the pregnancy. It was so easy for me and everything went so smoothly the first time around. I got off very lucky, lets put it that way.
So thank you for helping with my decision making. I have a couple more days to decide what to do. And no worries, I have self control so I wont be going crazy and getting all liquored up. LOL

I guess thats why theres no definite answers as to if its ok or not.....

I think thats correct...as some people drink, do drugs and smoke all the way through pregnancy and have healthy babies.

Personally, I dont deny myself of the occasional drink now and again. I also drank now and again with my son and he is perfectly healthy but other people arent so lucky, so it really is YOUR choice hun.

You know what I think is funny? Is that in my first pregnancy, I had half a beer on New Year's and couldnt even drink the rest because it tasted horrible to me. But, theres so many women, that didnt even know they were pregnant and drank heavily. Most doctors will tell you that they wont know if it has affected the baby yet and that the majority of the time, it doesnt. Not that early on. I think that its a very touchy issue, and even asking the question that Im asking raises a red flag to most people. I think its funny that most people who WANT a drink, get a negative opinion back for the most part and those women that accidently got pregnant while heavily drinking are regarding as "ok" because they didnt know. Its crazy for sure....lol

Really down to you at the end of the day.
Plus you may have your first drink and find your "off" alcohol! During my 1st pregnancy I couldnt stand the smell let alone a taste!

Me personally I wouldnt drink that amount in one evening whilst pregnant.
I think when some say its ok to drink in pregnancy they mean one drink ever so often and as someone said drink it with water along side so your not dehydrated etc....

But at the end of the day....9 months is not that long to not have a drink for the sake of your unborn child? there will be other Chrstmasses and New Years to enjoy!

Fair enough I had a sip of wine and champagne on Christmas Day but that was it.

Emma.xx

Im honestly hoping that I dont like the taste of it. I had a beer on New Year's while I was pregnant with my son and couldnt even drink over half. It tasted disgusting so I threw it away. Im not going to be drinking to get a buzz or anything like that. I just figure, Ill be in a social situation and would like a beer or two to join in on at the New Year's toast.

So, yes, 3-4 beers is too much. One will be just fine. One beer has the same affects as one glass of wine or a 1 oz shot of 100 proof LQ. So, one is my choice. I will be fine with that and wont drink anymore. Its better for myself and the baby. Thank you everyone for the input and its greatly appreciated!

It sounds like you made up your mind. I do think three or four beers is a lot. I would be drunk on that!! My rule is don't do anything I might regret if something bad happened.

My thoughts EXACTLY. That is why it is a personal choice.

It's a personal choice but MY opinion for myself is I would never do it. Especially not if I was in the 1st trimester when babies development and growth is so vital. I could not feel good about drinking and would feel very guilty. But thats just fo rme.

to add to what most people have said, it is entirely your choice. you could have an alcoholic carrying a baby to term and it is perfectly healthy and then you could have a binge drinker, drinking every saturday night who's child is born with Foetal Alcohol syndrome. in my opinion, one or two drinks is not going to harm your baby, but is it worth it? personally i didn't touch it because one or two drinks does nothing for me and i would rather just drink a soft drink.

I won't be drinking in my pregnancy. I would never advise a friend to do so either. I had one glass of champagne at my husband's graduation when I was pregnant with my daughter, and my daughter has autism. Did that cause it? Probably not, but I will regret that drink for the rest of my life, or until someone can prove to me that it didn't cause autism. I think it is easy to make a decision to drink or not drink based on what "probably" won't happen, but if it does, don't think that you will be able to shrug it off. Just some food for thought.

I don't think it's ok if people drink or do drugs if they don't know they're pg. I think the effects will be the same and sadly they didn't know and couldn't avoid it. I myself got the flu in the first two weeks of my pregnancy and took lots of paracetamol and two ibuprophen. Now I know paracetamol is ok for pg ladies, but I took a lot, and the two ibuprophen are nagging at me the same as the odd beer I had as I didn't know I was pg. I would have gladly stayed another week in bed if I would have known and wouldn't have taken so much medicine. I also smoked and quit as soon as I found out but who knows if the damage is done?? I really regret it and couldn't have avoided it because I didn't know but now that I do I'm defo avoiding it.

It's your choice in the end and your body and baby.

I don't think it's ok if people drink or do drugs if they don't know they're pg. I think the effects will be the same and sadly they didn't know and couldn't avoid it. I myself got the flu in the first two weeks of my pregnancy and took lots of paracetamol and two ibuprophen. Now I know paracetamol is ok for pg ladies, but I took a lot, and the two ibuprophen are nagging at me the same as the odd beer I had as I didn't know I was pg. I would have gladly stayed another week in bed if I would have known and wouldn't have taken so much medicine.

I realise you are not asking for opinions, but I just wanted to reassure you that ibuprofen in the first trimester is not considered to be a problem. Yes it is to be avoided wherever possible when you know that you're pregnant, but it is not associated with an increased rate of birth defects in the first & second tris, according to all the literature I've read. So do try not to worry about those two tablets too much :hugs:

Why take the chance? the first 3 months are so important for development. 4 sounds alot.

I'm glad you decided to just have the one. I had a few beers before I found out I was pregnant (and luckily before anything would be attached) but it made me feel so guilty when I realised. I never touched a drop with Edan, but still lost him yet others drink and don't. Personally, it is so not worth the risk. I like the alcohol free drinks for a change.

When studying Foetal alcohol syndrome at uni, I read that 3 glasses of wine is considered by the medical world as a 'binge drinking session' whether you're pregnant or not, and is enough to cause foetal alcohol syndrome if you are. I personally don't think it's worth the risk. If you can't get drunk what's the point in having a few? You may as well drink alcohol free beer or better still, why not make some really tasty alcohol free punches using fruit juices and sweet herbs etc. I bet the designated drivers will appreciate this too. It's your choice but I know that I won't be touching a drop on New Years Eve.

I also think that once you've had 3 or 4 beers, your judgement could be impaired enough to be swayed into having 'just one more', then 'just one more' etc. Also bear in mind that damage can be done from a single drinking session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->