Just checking

amslou

TTC No2
Reaction score
Any uk ladies see the midwife at their local gp surgery but received a letter for an appointment at the hospital antenatal clinic (i'm still seeing my midwife at the GP). just wondering if this is normal as nobody has mentioned this to me before and now i'm wondering why i have to go?

I had this exact same thing happen to me. I rang them up and asked them why i had to see a consultant and they told me it was due to an issue i had with my heart when i was a child.
It's rubbish how they send you appointments but don't tell you why. I'd ring them up if i were you and ask them why you've been referred.

Lol.. this happened to me a couple of weeks ago.. I phoned both my mw and the hospital to see why. My mw said go to the appt and see what they want. The response from the hospital was to take a message and the consultant would call me back (it never happened), anyway I went to the appt and he kept apologising that we didnt need to go, the letter was an administration error.

I would say give them a call to see what they want, and hopefully if it is an error, you will be saved any worry & an unecessary trip to the hospital.

My mw warned me that I might be called in by the consultant but not to worry about it. Apparently they don't see all women but sometimes pick some at random. So far I haven't heard anything from them.

yep i had this they just weighed me, checked me blood pressure and that was it! pretty much what they could have done in the surgery!

Here in the Scottish Borders we have to see the consultant at 13, 32 and 39 weeks.

It is a waste of time as they only ever have a chat with me.
I don't see the point!

I have shared care, so see both my GP and the midwive at the hospital . To be honest I find it really confusing, and would rather just stick with the hospital as the GP appointments just seem like a formality.

I haven't got an appointment to see the consultant yet - although I do have something booked for 24 weeks so maybe that is it.

I think it would make more sense to build a relationship with the team who will eventually deliver my baby.

As others have said - give them a call and try and find out what the appointment is for.

I did phone them this morning but as with some of the other ladies i have recieved no call back as yet. Its rubbish isnt it!

I had this and when I got there it was because I have high BP (before pregnancy). I just get weighed, bp check, urine check and scan (sometimes bloods sometimes not).

Once I knew why I was seeing an obestrician (sp?) as no one has told me I was being referred I was pleased they were taking such good care of me.

Just phoned again. Apparently they don't phone back until after clinic and will definately be calling so I just have 30 mins or so to wait now.

Yep, I was referred, and I have shared care - difference was that I actually asked my MW for the referral because I have a serious blood clotting issue and am therefore high risk. x

Yer I did it's because I have mild asthma, waste of time really but he said I can have another growth scan at 34 weeks so worth it just for piece of mind. I also see my MW at the GP surgery. x

I have an appointment with the consultant at 16 weeks, but I wasn't really told why either, all it says on the sheet the midwife gave me was to hear the baby's heartbeat, but I would have thought that that was something that the midwife could do herself?

I do have a strong history of diabetes on both sides of my family so maybe she booked it because of that, although she told me that even though my Dad and his sister, my mum's mum and quite a few of my cousins have diabetes (including gestational diabetes that didn't go away after birth) they wouldn't do the glucose test on me any earlier, which I think is digusting! Maybe I'll badger the consultant about it.

I have an appointment with the consultant at 16 weeks, but I wasn't really told why either, all it says on the sheet the midwife gave me was to hear the baby's heartbeat, but I would have thought that that was something that the midwife could do herself?

I do have a strong history of diabetes on both sides of my family so maybe she booked it because of that, although she told me that even though my Dad and his sister, my mum's mum and quite a few of my cousins have diabetes (including gestational diabetes that didn't go away after birth) they wouldn't do the glucose test on me any earlier, which I think is digusting! Maybe I'll badger the consultant about it.

Mine could be for this actually. They dont do it earlier because it doesnt tend to develop until around or after 22 weeks if you are going to get it. Thats what my midwife said anyway.

I had a letter onc at 16 wks and it was to see consultant at hospital to discuss some medication id mentioned id been on. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->