Just found out I'm aneamic but....

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by MommaCC, Jan 26, 2011.

1. MommaCC

MommaCC Well-Known Member

Hi ladies
    I've just received a letter from my hospital stating that according to bloods taken at my last mw appointment I'm actually aneamic and it also had a prescription in it for iron tablets.

Ok but the problem is I don't know how long my iron has been low for as my first bloods were taken on 8/12/10 they were not testable when they got to the lab due to congealing same thing happened again on 28/12/10 when they sent off my bloods and these results are from this month two weeks ago. :shrug:
    So I could have been low in iron for nearly two months which would explain the tiredness etc... But I've read on the nhs website that this could cause pre term labour, stillbirth and infant death in newborns if left untreated for any length of time.
    I've tried to contact my mw waiting for her to call back to explain things to me. My mil has gone to get the script for me so I can take my tablets for today.
    I'm so worried as I had a bit of a show yesterday and really bad BH. My antenatal care has been awful the whole preggy also my baby is breech and my midwife didn't seem to care that much so aty last appointment booked me in for three weeks time that's ages at this stage I think.
    Sorry to rant so much I'm just really worried has anyone been thru anaemia that could give me some advise please?
    Thank you xxx

2. MommaCC

Anyone???

3. Fabby

Fabby mummy to my amazing boy x

I hope someone can come along and offer you some support and advice. I really got offer any advice on this. Make sure you speak to your MW. If you arn't happy with her, could you not see about changing her? I know it is a bit late now but i suppose the last few weeks you could be given the care you deserve and need right now xx

4. alynn6758

alynn6758 Well-Known Member

I would talk to the MW and explain to her what you've been having, and maybe she can get a scan and check the baby and you over...I would just make sure that she's aware you are just now starting the iron tablets...I think after you talk with her, you will feel alot better. :hugs: keep us posted :hugs:

5. stephwiggy

stephwiggy Well-Known Member

I think it depends on how low ur levels are, but if they were v worried they would have called rather than written. Try not to worry.

6. jackiea85

jackiea85 Mum of 2 boys

Hi, I was anaemic in my last pregnancy and no one told me until I was 37 weeks. I was really tired in labour and baby was born by ventouse. I also had a haemorrhage, not sure if it is related, but I needed a blood transfusion afterwards. I don't want to scare you, that's just the experience I had last time round. I really recommend spatone, I found it really helpful to boost my iron levels (unfortunately I didn't find this stuff in time for me, but was great afterwards) xx

7. vicky.uk

vicky.uk Well-Known Member

hi im annemic and only found out a few weeks ago, my iron was that low that they wanted to give me iv injections but i said no, so im on 3 pills a day, iv not herd of it leading to still borns but as jackiea85 said above it taes it toll after birth and yes jakiea haemorrhage is likely as you bleed a lot more with low iron, but also as someone else said there is being low and being very low, your level was obv not too low to concern them enougth to write to you, but hope you get hold of your midwife so you have peace of mind, they also told me to take my tabs with pure orange juice as the vit c absorbs the iron a lot faster and to cut out tea as that can surpress your iron , xxxx

8. little*red

little*red Active Member

Hi there,
    I just wanted to say please don't worry to much about the anemia being undiagnosed. At the gestation your bloods were taken (33weeks ish?) it is very common for women to become aneamic as your blood becomes very dilute.
    Like the pp said the risks of iron deficency are more likely if the anemai was severe (Levels below 7g/dl) or very severe (levels below 4 g/dl) however you would be on more treatment than iron tablets if your result fell into these categories, such as I.V iron.

The main thing for you is to get your iron levels right up by the time you deliver as if you haemoragge at birth you may be seriously afected and need blood transfusions.

Take your prescription and try to eat meat and wholegrains as well as eating more fruit, or orange juice which will up your vitaminc c and help you absorb iron more. Try to avoid tea or coffee which can block the iron uptake. Getting Iron through your diet is really the best way to replenish your stores.

I hope this helps.x

9. MommaCC

Thank you ladies I've just had a call from my midwife and she wants to see me in the morning first thing to go over a few things so hopefully we will find out a bit more xxxxx