Just found out....

Carrie_on

Reaction score
So I haven't ever posted on a discussion board before. But I have been dating my boyfriend for over a year. We have always used condoms when we had sex. And my period has always been irregular. But I have been feeling really crummy and hadn't noticed that I'd had my period at all the past two months. Last month I thought it was just off but then this month I got really worried. I took 2 EPT tests yesterday afternoon before I went to work and they were both positive. I had read online that pregnancy tests are the most accurate if you take them in the morning but I share a bathroom with my sisters and I couldn't take it then. I had to hide them and throw them away after I left the house so that my mom didn't see it. But, I guess my question is, are the tests you take at the doctor a lot more accurate? I haven't been to the doctor yet. And I know now that I'm really going to have to go. I kind of took the tests just to be safe. I hadn't really expected them to be positive. I spent all day yesterday freaking out. And I'm still totally freaking out. If I go to the doctor, are they going to call my mom? That might be a stupid question. I have only been to the gynecologist once and I went with my mom. I know that I'm going to have to tell my mom but I don't want to tell her anything until I know for absolute sure because I know she's going to be pissed.

Thanks

Doctor can't tell this kind of information unless you agreed. How old are you? You need to start taking prenatal vitamins and take care of you and your baby ASAP.

It sounds like you took all of the necessary precautions but sometimes pregnancy still happens.. I agree to start on some prenatals and take care of yourself. If both tests were positive in the afternoon then you are more than likely pregnant. Pregnancy tests are only advised to take in the morning when testing early because there may not be enough of the pregnancy hormone to make tests show positive and you could get a false negative.

I want to say if you go to the doctor they wont tell your mother, they wont call her, but when I found out I was pregnant the first time and went to the doctor they sent something home to my father from the maternity unit for insurance I think.. I was horrified that they did this as it was clearly stated on the paper, and that was when I was an adult at 22.. That being said, it is important to go to the doctor and see how far along you are and make sure everything is looking healthy and normal.

Maybe discuss with your boyfriend first? Or do you think it would be easier to talk to your mom? I know how hard this can be but unfortunately you will need to talk to somebody about it.. does your mom know you are sexually active? You weren't reckless and you did what you were supposed to do and tried to protect yourself from pregnancy but it's just not always 100%

Hoping you can figure out someone to help support you

Thanks Maries_s and MyFavSurprise
I'm almost 17. I'm a junior. I never thought this would happen if we were using condoms. I kind of feel real sad at the whole situation. I haven't told my boyfriend. But telling him would probably be easier then telling my mom. She's goin to flip. I didn't think about the insurance sending something to her. But that kind of makes sense they would. I haven't ever talked to my mom about having sex before so I don't think she has any idea that I've had sex. What about planned parenthood? I googled them to see and they do pregnancy tests and exams and stuff and I don't think they bill your insurance. Has anyone been there? I will get some vitamins today.

In this pregnancy they send me into a clinic like that to confirm my pregnancy. It wasn't a fancy clinic or high quality pregnancy test but they were very anonymous even when I wasn't hiding my pregnancy.
Probably all parents freak out at first but I'm sure they always comes to term and start being supportive with you. As MyFav said, you took all the precautions to prevent it but things not always works as it should be.

I would think that two positives in the afternoon wouldn't be a fluke. Idon't know much about the American health system and how they handle information, sorry but I was a couple of months off turning 17 when I fell pregnant with my first, I only took one test and then went and told my GP who did not do another test to confirm it. They also never sent any information to my parents, I didn't live with them but even if I did they wouldn't have any permission to pass on anything to them.

As a PP said, it's suggested morning mostly for testing early on. I tested just before 7 weeks with my second (as I didn't think I could be pregnant) and took it at 10pm and got a dark positive.

Your mum likely will flip out, yes. Mine reacted very badly, understandably as I was 16 and pregnant but after a few weeks she did come around. Even my dad who hardly spoke to me until I was 6/7 months along ended up celebrating when my son was born and they both love their grandchildren. It's better in the long run telling your parents asap so that they have time to take it in as it's a huge thing for them too.

Good luck! :hugs:

Carrie, I agree with other posters, definitely start by taking prenatel vitamins. You can call your regular doctor to see how the insurance billing would work. They would keep information private, but your parents would know you had an appt as it would be billed even if it was done discreetly. If you are in a larger city/ suburb you should have Planned Parenthood and other free clinics for situations like this. They are equipped to help young women in your situation. Talk to your bf or, do you have a best friend or sibling you could talk to? You shouldn't go through this alone though I understand that your mom probably isn't the first one you want to talk to.

Good luck! My sister had an unplanned pregnancy at 18 that was tough on our family. She chose to keep the baby and her and I had very different young adulthoods that I think she regretted sometimes, but her daughter is about to graduate high school and is the most amazing young woman, couldn't imagine or family without her.

If you are concerned about being anonymous right now then I would say go to Planned Parenthood. They will get you started with some blood work and an exam without your parents knowing through insurance. But I would tell them sooner rather than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->