Just full breasts or blocked ducts?!

Lunaty

Reaction score
Hey girls,

I may need some help...

Ive been breastfeeding for 2 weeks now and as everyone have had the soar nipples etc etc..

However the last couple of days ive noticed my breastpads have small green discharge spots on them and it hurts a lit to feed LO.. ive told the midwife and she recons my nipples are a little infected (like cuts on the side) and has prescribed me some antibacterial cream that i have to put on after every feed..

To be able to continue breastfeeding ive started using nipple shields.. and now im noticing that especially my left breast is having lots of painful lumps on the outside of boob and nipple.. it feels bruised like when my milk just came in..

Is this because the are just full (tends to not be as painful after a feed!) or are these blocked ducts?!

I have no idea if what im feeling is normal or not... and i wont see the midwife again until next friday..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

your breasts shouldnt be lumpy. nipple shields can mean that the breast doesnt get fully emptied and can therefore cause blocked ducts. make sure your lo fully empties each breast if you can, before moving onto the other. Also try massaging the breast when your feeding. hot water bottles and hot baths can also help. Make sure your bra fits well too. If it gets really painful or you get a fever, you should go and see your doctor as it could be mastitus. To be honest I would also see your doctor about the green discharge.

Here's another post with some suggestions to clear blocked ducts.
https://www.babyandbump.com/breastfeeding/236450-heading-off-blocked-duct.html

Thanks, ive massaged the boob before feeding, started to take the shields off again as i think LO isnt feeding as effective as without..

Made sure he fed from that boob and it's now emptyish and soft, no more lumps but it still feels a bit bruised.. the green discharge has cleared now i think.. though i hope it stays this way without the shields.. :)

The right breast is now full and feels just as bruised but a lot less lumpy..

Ill keep up the massage although it feels like im filling really full rather quickly and it is hard for baby to latch properly then.. Im still waiting for my pump, hopefully that'll help a bit too..

Any one else?!

The fact that is already improving is a good sign. Keep up the warm compresses, strong massages and getting LO to empty them as much as possible. The soreness in my blocked duct remained for a day or two longer than the lumpiness. Just keep doing everything until it has completely cleared. It sounds like you are on the right track!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->