Just going through the motions?

flower01

Expecting Baby 3!!
Reaction score
Hi Ladies

I hope this doesnt sound really bad on my account but im worried and sad by how i feel at the moment.
I feel since baby was born that im just going thru the motions of looking after her.
i dont feel like im enjoying her and it makes me really sad.:cry:
why arent i?
she took so long to conceive and is kind of like our little miricle.

last night we had a bad night and this morning i just cried for about 2 hours solid cos im tired.

do you think its cos im not getting a reaction back from her at the mo that i feel like this?

xxxxxx

i felt like that at first, but then you get more confident and used to being tired. also you begin to get to know your lo and build a bond. i completely adore my lo, but it wasnt like that for the first few weeks, i too felt kind of detached, and like i was just going through the motions of looking after him. having a baby is a really intense experience and it takes a while to adjust, so dont worry, it will all come right soon x:hugs:

i agree about the interaction........once they start smiling and noticing your voice etc, it makes it all worthwhile x

:hugs: :hugs:

I was the same way, but it is slowly getting better. I felt like LO was getting bigger and older and I was missing it - even though I am with LO all the time. My OH thought I was really weird for saying that, but I felt like I was doing what I had to but didn't have the joy/bond that I was sure every other parent did. Now I know better though - some mums jump right in, but for me the life change was really shocking. I didn't know what to do with myself. I went from being a 12h a day workaholic in a big city to a stay at home mum in a suburban home with a newborn all day. I lost everything that had once defined who I was - so I thought anyway, but it is getting much better as the weeks go by. LO is almost 5 weeks and I am in a much better place than just a few weeks ago.
And I agree with above - the more alert LO gets and the more he can interact, I think the better it will be. Part of it is that I also wasn't sure if he even knew who I was or if we were bonding at all. But I really can't wait for a few smiles and laughs :D
xx

thankyou ladies, it means a lot to read your replies.
I think you both hit the nail on the head with the bonding thing.
I expected a super fast tight bond but it doesnt feel like that at the moment and sometimes i think she doesnt like me at all. I know it prob sounds mad.

I had all these expectations when i was pregnant and its very different!
im paranoid that as the days and weeks go by that il miss out on bonding and it will be too late.

I felt like this for about 3 months, to some extent I still feel it.

Definitely a lot to do with the fact you get nothing back at that stage. The tiredness is also a factor. I used to refer to it as the daily grind.

Even now I don't feel this super tight bond, but I do love her with all my heart and that bond is definitely getting stronger every day.

Some days now I still hope she sleeps more than others as it is the same constant round of feeding, changing, playing. There is only so many funny faces a person can pull, or funny noises to make. Just as Sun says, I was a hard working professional person so to suddenly have nothing to challenge me was very tough.

I went though the "she hates me" stage. She wouldn't look at me or smile at me, there was no recognition, I was just a pair of breasts to her! Even when she got more alert, she still never looked at me, but only at her dad. Now, everytime I get her up from her cot, I get the biggest smile. Or when I come back in the room, she grins from ear to ear. Nothing beats it!

I do love spending time with Abby now, and I'm sure you'll get there with your LO too. You'll be surprised how a good nights sleep followed by a good day can do!

Completely normal. As others have said above, it's a big shock and adjustment becoming a mother and not all of us get the intense bonding from the start. It was a gradual thing for me but I was soon smitten. We just expect it to happen straight away and then feel bad if it doesn't. Don't feel bad as it will happen very soon. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->