Just had 5 week scan

Jennifurball

Mother of 1 and a bump!
Reaction score
Hi,

As I have had bleeding the past week, I was sent to EPAU for an early scan. She said I can't be much more than 5 weeks (I thought I was 6). At first she said she can only see the gestational sac, but then said she can see the yolk sac, no baby tho, and there was no mention of a fetal pole.

I have to go back in 2 weeks to see if it is progressing as it should. She said it looks promising for the stage she thinks I am at and she also couldn't find any bleeding but it has started again, what if I am actually further and there is just nothing? I am confused and upset really. Can anyone give me any hope? Has anyone else had a scan at 5 weeks? x

Hello, i am sorry i am not going to be of much help, but what you described sounds spot on for 5 weeks xxxx I think its a bit mean to make you wait two weeks to find out what is what though. I think as long as you are not bleeding anymore i would take it as everything is fine xxxx

i am going to be gently honest, you have two scenarios, the bleeding is not related to the pregnancy and you are only 5 weeks so you cannot see much at that stage and that why you only see a sac, or things are G-D forbid not developing and so this is a natural way of it stopping. I would say to be cautiously optomistic, and I wish you a lot of luck x

Thank you both. Am keeping my fingers crossed for this awful long wait :( x

I never had a scan at 5 weeks but I had one at 7 weeks a couple years ago. I had no bleeding it was just a dating scan but they couldn't find anything other than an empty sac. Mine was a missed mc but at 5 weeks I would say you definitely still have hope! It could very well just be too early. Good luck! Xx

Sorry off topic but JENNIFURBALL!! My little boy was 4 on 30th April, I remember seeing you on the forums all the time when I was pregnant with him! People kept arguing about cats remember?! Xx

I had some spotting for a couple days between week five and week six. At 5w6d I went for an ultrasound to rule out an ectopic pregnancy. They saw one perfect round sac in my womb... but it was completely empty. The tech didn't give me any reason to worry, but after reading on the internet, it seemed like everyone saw WAY more than that around the same time. I mean, a yolk sac wasn't even visible... and I knew based on my dates (fertility symptoms, OPKs, and actual intercourse) that I wasn't more than a day off from 5w6d. I spent the next 6 weeks convinced that I was carrying a blighted ovum, or that I was about to miscarry at any moment. But when I went for my NT scan, there was a perfect little baby in there-- measuring right on track.

I hope you get good news when you go back for your next scan. :hugs:

Yes stickylizard - the cat arguments, oh my! :haha: (my bday is 30th April too!!)

Thanks everyone, I know I am worrying unnecessarily. It isn't 'normal' to have a 5 week scan so who am I to say if that's ok or not? The yolk sac is a comfort tho, I am also starting to feel sick today and my boob is hurting, just the one lol.

Just wanted to pop on and say with my daughter (who is now 3) we had a scan at 5 weeks and saw nothing but a sac. It was just a small black blob in the middle of the scan. Took another 2 weeks before she became a bean like figure with a heartbeat and now she is an active 3 year old, so I think you have nothing to worry about :)

i had 1 at 5 weeks and the next one at 7 weeks there was a heartbeat x

I don't have the exact same experience, but I do have early scan experience. With my last pg, I thought I was just over 7 weeks, and the sonographer dated me at almost a week less. I saw a heartbeat and all looked good, but it threw me into a bit of a spin and I was sure things were going wrong. At my next scan 2 weeks later, everything was great and baby had made up a few of those days. By my 12 week scan, baby measured slightly ahead, and she's now a tall and healthy 2.5 year old.

Early scans often seem to be a little more inaccurate, and they often say it's expected to be +/- 5 days. It's not unusual to have ovulated a little later than you think - I did with my daughter, even though I was using opks! Some women hardly see anything at even 6 weeks, and the machine used and the individual sonographer can make a difference.

All sounds like it's progressing well, so try to be as positive as possible. When I was being negative about measuring behind, I felt guilty that I was 'writing off' my baby, so I bought one cute babygro as an act of faith that everything would be fine. Nobody can give any guarantees, but the majority of established pregnancies go well and result in a healthy baby.

Good luck for your next scan and keep us updated!

:hugs: xxxxxx

Thanks everyone!

Well I am glad to say that I am on day 3 of no bleeding, my boobs are sore and I feel nauseous as hell. I also did a clearblue before which has progressed to 3+ :happydance:

Just another week to go now...:coffee:

Fingers crossed for you. Everything sounds really positive so far :)

Thanks everyone!

Well I am glad to say that I am on day 3 of no bleeding, my boobs are sore and I feel nauseous as hell. I also did a clearblue before which has progressed to 3+ :happydance:

Just another week to go now...:coffee:

Wonderful news! :)

Sounding good, Jennifurball! Hoping everything goes great xxxx :hugs:

Thank you. :)

My only concern is I look massively pregnant already. My stomach was never flat but I am worried, I look about 20 weeks lol x

Thank you. :)

My only concern is I look massively pregnant already. My stomach was never flat but I am worried, I look about 20 weeks lol x

Snap! I've already moved into maternity trousers. The bloat is too much and can no longer fit into my usual trousers. From experience, my bloat disappears and it replaced by bump. Crazy really.

Good luck for your next scan, the fact bleeding has stopped and CB digi has progressed to 3+ is great! I bleed through pregnancy and have had spotting with this one, but it doesn't make me worry any less lol!

x

I had really low progesterone last pregnancy and they give me an early scan but told me to wait til after six weeks as not everything they needed to see would show up on the ultrasound. I ended up having one at six weeks and three days and all was fine. I would not lose hope. It is still really early for you. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->