• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Just landed new job and then found out I'm pregnant

Rachybaby123

Reaction score
I just found out last week that I have landed my dream job and I am due to start this Friday. This job is a research job and is therefore a fixed term contract of 4 years. I am very worried about telling my new employer as I am worried what there response will be and as I am on a year long probationary period I am worried that they will find a way of getting rid of me. I would appreciate any advice.

Me and my partner have been ttc for 18 months prior to this, however a few months ago, when I applied for this job we decided to stop trying for a few years while I sort out my career and we get married. Ironically I started the pill 6 weeks ago and am now pregnant! So while we are very excited for this much awaited news we are also very confused.

Sorry for short answer(my bath is running lol)
You don't have to tell anybody at work that you pregnant until 15 weeks before due date.
I had similar situation got transferred to different dept.with higher wage and I found out that I'm pregnant too I didn't told anybody until I was 4 months along(I told them I just found out.and it was absolutely fine.dont worry they can't fire you just wait a bit and then say it.
Congratulation on your pregnancy and dream job! Xxx

yep it would be discrimination if they let you go for being pregnant. Just get sorted into your job and then tell them eventually once u warmed up a bit. You can always say that you just found out! Congratulation! :flower:

Firstly, congratulations!

I could have written this post myself 2 years ago! We tried for over a year, decided to stop while we both got new jobs, then I discovered I was pregnant days before I was due to start the new job.

You won't qualify for statatory maternity pay, but if you've been employed before you took this job you'll probably qualify for maternity allowance. You don't legally have to tell them until quite late in the pregnancy. I can't remember the exact number of weeks of the top of my head. I told my boss at 15 or 16 weeks. She was great about it. She seemed genuinely excited for me and HR were really good about it too. I passed my probation 2 weeks before my maternity leave started. My boss said the fact I was leaving didn't matter. I've now returned to work part time. Sorry I didn't mean to go on there! I just wanted you to know that there are good companies and bosses out there that treat pregnancy as the positive thing it is! I remember how nervous I was about telling work about my pregnancy.

Good luck! :flower:

My wife is in this similar situation. Waiting to tell them still. She is 11 weeks tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"