just passed blood clots - any other reasons beside miscarriage?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by yellowyamyam, Nov 15, 2011.

1. yellowyamyam

yellowyamyam Well-Known Member

I am the one who bleeds every 2-3 days since I got my BFP in end of Sept. Based on the last scan, I should be about 11 weeks now.

The pain started two days ago; not cramp like pain but more like bruised/pulled muscle. It started on the left abdomen and traveled to the upper tummy and last night it ended at the right side. This morning I woke up feeling less-pregnant. I just felt ... lighter somehow. Boobs are still sore when I poke them though. Started having heavy/pressure like feeling "down there" since I came back from Tesco around 1.30pm. I thought it was because I walked too much. So had lunch and rested on the couch for several hours. Got up to pee a few times and discharge was clean. Then about 30 mins ago, went to the toilet, wiped -- blood. My midwife taught me how to recognize the colour of blood to know if its fresh or old. Earlier it was definitely fresh. Before I flushed, I looked down and there they were ... blood clots. 2 clots... size of a thumb each.

Again, I felt "lighter" if that makes sense. Checked my boobs - still sore and feel full.

Any ideas? I don't want to be running to A&E and only to be told to go home again. I've done that 3 times and the 2 gynaes basically told me off for getting all panicky because the heartbeat was still there. The last one told me that even if I had a miscarriage, nothing can be done. Pointless to rush to A&E; they can't help to save the fetus. Just wait out to my 12 week scan which is scheduled on 23 Nov.

Any replies would be appreciated.

2. kat2504

kat2504 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry, you must be extremely worried.

You are right that rushing to A&E is not necessary right now. What you should do is call the EPAU of your hospital first thing in the morning and explain to them what has happened. Hopefully they will see you. They might ask you to go to your GP first so if that happens explain you need an emergency appointment or go to a walk in clinic. Unfortunately clots are often a bad sign, but there are other explanations for bleeding so it is impossible for anyone on here to be able to tell you what is going on.

If it stops this evening, phone the EPAU in the morning anyway. If it progresses into a miscarriage, it is perfectly OK to show up at A&E if you are in pain that you can't manage at home with ibuprofen or paracetamol, or if you are bleeding very heavily (changing a pad every hour or more) or you have very large clots that you are worried about. If this happens phone your A&E for advice or just go in if you need to.

Wishing you the best of luck and hoping that it turns out to be a good outcome.

3. shescrafty

shescrafty Well-Known Member

Hi! So sorry you are going through this stuff it's so nervewracking :( If I were in your position I would go to the emergancy room regardless of how they reacted last time. Who cares, they don't have to like you...its for your own peace of mind. And if you feel your baby might be in danger or you are super anxious I believe it's best for both of you to find out and put your mind at ease. So unfortunate that many people in the health care industry have become hardened to some stuff, because they see it every day and it is no longer emotional to them. But really, if you were my best friend this is the advice I would give you....and I'm sure if it were someone else you'd say the same. Don't worry about being judged....do what's right for you. Fingers crossed all is okay xoxo:hugs:

4. kat2504

kat2504 Well-Known Member

In the UK they are usually unable to scan you in the accident and emergency department. There really is nothing they can do. If you are in a lot of pain they may admit you onto a ward for your miscarriage but if you are just having bleeding, it is better to be having that in your own home than waiting for three hours in the hospital.

If they could give you a scan and give you peace of mind, I would say go right now. But I know from my own experience that it won't happen (I had the misfortune of starting a miscarriage at the beginning of a long bank holiday weekend at Easter this year - had to wait from Saturday till Tuesday for confirmation). It is not that the health profession don't care, although some of them seem to lack compassion for this issue at times.

I know how hard it is but what will be will be. If it is a miscarriage then the fact that you have had clots means the pregnancy is already lost. If it is going to be ok then it will still be ok tomorrow. Nothing you or anyone else can do in the meantime will change the outcome of the pregnancy.

In the meantime, try to carry on resting this evening as much as you can. Find all the phone numbers you need for the morning (If you don't know the nearest EPU or their number I am an expert googler and happy to help) or perhaps call your midwife if they have an out of hours number or a mobile you can ring for advice.
    Don't hesitate to go to the hospital if you think you need them though.

5. yellowyamyam

Thank you, ladies. There is an EPAU in the hospital near me which I have been before. It was where I got told off. I think I am starting to feel slight pulling sensation on the left abdomen. I think the horrible thing is happening ... just spoke to DH and he is on his way back from work. Might just go to the A&E after dinner to just get it over and done with. Otherwise, I will be guessing the whole night.

So no other reasons for the clots besides miscarriage?

6. DRG7

DRG7 Well-Known Member

When I was pg with my 4th, I had something called a sub chorionic hematoma. It's basically a blood clot in the uterus. I bled for weeks! I was actually put on bed rest in the beginning. I had regular u/s to check on the clot. The fear was the blood clot would grown and affect the baby. Eventually the blood clot got smaller and smaller. The baby was never affected by it and I now have a little miracle baby who is 6 years old now.

I'm sure if you do a search on it you'll find a lot of helpful info. I'd also ask my Dr. about it.

I hope all goes well!!

7. Smonsta

Smonsta Well-Known Member

I know that it is a very scary thing to go through, as a similar thing happened to me. I didn't rush to A&E but called the nhs direct and they said based on the symptoms that i should called my doctor as soon as possible the next day. As I was only 8 weeks at the time my doctor said it was a miscarriage. However, it turns out it wasn't as now at 13 weeks!

Doctor said there were a couple of natural reasons why it could happen, but we would never really know the reason - but the main thing is that eveything is still ok.

If you are concerned give the nhs direct a call - they were helpful and will help set your mind at ease.

Wishing you all the best.

8. babynewbie

babynewbie Well-Known Member

good luck hun :hugs:

9. Broodypants

Broodypants Mum to Erin and Samuel

Hi there, just crashing but wanted to say that the clots don't necessarily mean you passed clots from your uterus. When you rest after bleeding the blood can pool in your vagina and clot, and then when you get up it comes out.

I had a lot of bleeding with my DD, fresh bleeds at 6, 8 and 10 weeks... the worst was at six weeks and it was on and off for a few days... she's now a very healthy 16 month old.

When was your last scan? xx

10. crazylilth1ng

crazylilth1ng Well-Known Member

It could be a subchorionic haematoma, which doesn't in itself mean miscarriage. Lots of ladies suffer those and they almost always cause bleeding.

11. amy_1234

amy_1234 Mummy to Olivia

I had a subchronic hematoma and bled contstantly for over 10 weeks I had pain and clots as you can see I am now a mommy to a beautiful baby girl hope this is what you have xxx

12. domesticdiva

domesticdiva Well-Known Member

Just wanted to wish you & baby best of luck & hope that everything is okay... :( I know how worried you are. I think you've gotten lots of good advice above.

13. happygal

happygal mum of 3

hi hun. right from getting my bfp i had bleeding. i had various scans over the weeks and found i had various2 separate subchorionic hematomas.
    the bleeding stosped for a bit and i thought everything would be ok until one Saturday night i was laid in bed and felt a funny feeling in my tummy. i stood up and within a minute blood had soaked through my pjs and was pooling on the floor.
    i went to the bathroom and took off my trousers and blood literally poured out of me along with golf ball size clots.
    i was terrified and just stood sobbing while oh phoned for an ambulance.

i was taken to casualty and it broke my heart when the paramedics told the nurse it looked like id had a miscarriage.
    i had my blood pressure checked and when the bleeding calmed down i was sent home with an appointment to go for a scan on the Monday afternoon as epu aren't mpdmwat a weekend.

i was in such a mess over the weekend. it sounds dramatic but the was so much blood and clots and i lost it all so fast there was no way i thought baby could of survived.
    but we went for the scan on the Monday and there she was,totally unaffected by it all?

sorry this has been a bit long but i just wanted you to know that bleeding even with clots doesn't always mean the worst.

good luck hun,i really hope everything is ok for you x

14. pipkintyler

pipkintyler Mum to Austin and Dexter

Hi there, I've also had lots of bleeding throughout this pregnancy, had a bleed a couple of weeks ago that had 2 pea size clots in it, thought I'd lost the baby but went to my out of hours service who said at 6/7weeks I shouldn't worry about clots unless they were the size of a 50p piece, your further along than me and so if your clots were thumb sized I'm sure you'll be fine :hugs:

15. parisa

parisa Guest

I feel horrible for u.
    I am gonna be super honest with u. I had a miscarriage and that is exactly how it started.....
    I dont care how mean the nurses or whoever where with u at the hospital, How dare they?
    For one, they are right, even if u r miscarrying, there is not a thing that they can do about it, however, I would wait for a few days, if u do bleed, still dont rush to the hospital, they cannot save the baby. But after a few days, do go to the hospital and they can tell u with a quick scan if u have miscarried or not. Dont worry about how mad they get at u or anything, it is their damn job! Give them a nasty attitude and do not let them boss u around!
    I pray for u and I hope that it is nothing, But it does sound like the beginning of a miscarriage. Specially that it was the size of a thumb, that is huge, and it sounds like ti could have been part of the fetus. I am not being insensitive, but I like to be direct.
    Kisses, best of luck!

16. yellowyamyam

Thanks for all your words of encouragement. I really appreciate it. Bleeding stopped about 2 hours after it happened. My last scan was about 3.5 weeks ago when bubs was measured at 7wks4days. Nobody mentioned anything about hematoma during the scan. Since that scan, my bleeding has been dark/bright red in every 2-3 days for a couple of hours. Yesterday was the 2nd time I bled with clots and it was also the biggest yet.

I guess I am more panicky as this is our 1st pregnancy and we were trying for 14 months before this happened.

Anyway, I did not go to the A&E last night as the bleeding stopped. Hubby asked if I want to go today and I have decided to just wait it out until next wednesday for my 12 wk scan. I think I sort of was disappointed by the doctors I've seen in the EPAU so far thus making me feel "what's the point of going?" In actual fact, there are things they can do because my cousin had to have hormone injections every week in her 1st tri to sustain her pregnancy. So there are things they can do yet they kept saying NOTHING CAN BE DONE. Also I've read in so many forums/articles that if you are bleeding, it's best you be on bedrest. But the doctors I've seen said I can do whatever I wish to do and bedrest theory isn't proven true.

I know if you are to have a miscarriage, there isn't anything to stop it but if its something minor to start of with and yet you go agitate it, of course you aren't helping the situation, right?!

I am just so angry with the NHS gynaes I have seen so far!

17. happygal

happygal mum of 3

i know when i had my heavy bleed ladies on here told me that because my bleeding stopped after a few hours that was a good sign. fingers crossed it is for you too.

if i was you id maybe reconsider going to epu and make an appointment. a week is a long time to wait and be worried x x

18. bubbywings

bubbywings Well-Known Member

When I was pregnant last time (didn't know) I had gushing bleeding Filling up a pad in seconds and then major clots half the size of my hand. I wear women's extra large gloves. This happened to me twice. Once around 4 1/2- 5 weeks and of course the scan didn't show much then. My ob came down to er to see me. That's when I found out I was pregnant. I went to ob the next day and all was well at his scan (dr scan in office more sensitive). Around 9 weeks had the same thing....I just knew it was over. I was wrong... Baby was flipping around "dancing". I found out my placenta was connecting to my uterus and it was low lying ( towards the bottom of my uterus). It moved up and out of the way during pregnancy and I had a beautiful 8 lb. 12 oz. Baby boy in November 2010.

Hubby and I are pregnant now. FYI I had a miscarriage 3 months before getting pregnant with the 2010 baby. So I had some serious anxiety going on when I bled like that. I just knew it was over and it wasn't.

Hang in there honey! Best wishes to you.