Just watching the news about the baby who after a delayed csection . . .

Blah11

☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼
Reaction score
There was a bit that said it was unacceptable to leave women alone when theyre in labour... isn't that really unrealistic? They cant possibly expect 1 to 1 care for hours and hours. I was left alone for 90% of my labour :shrug:

I'm not sure what it's like over here but I had Aisling in Ireland and I had a nurse by my side constantly as soon as I came to the hospital until I was put onto the ward with Aisling by my side. It's standard in Ireland.

See over here they tend to leave you to it and you buzz them if you need anything. Of course they pop in and out to check on you but for the most part I was left alone (my mum or/and OH was with me).

I don't know about having a midwife there constantly, but I think that you should be checked on v. regularly.
I was on my own in a ward until I was 5cm, then I was moved to my own room and I pretty much had a midwife with me the whole time. There were times when they went, usually due to swopping over shifts but it wasn't really for more than 10mins at a time.
I think for people who are at high risk for complications should have the 1 to 1 care, but for less high risk I don't think it's completely necessary for someone to be there for every minute.

I had a mw check on me every 15mins to listen to Halen's HB until I was ready to push then they where in with me all the time.

They also blamed the lack of mw's. I understand their pushed but why not employ more instead of bailing out stupid banks who eff up our lives!!

oh thats a very sad story, they shud of checked on her regularly. x

That's such a sad story :cry:

With Ozzie I was on my own a lot until I was 7cms, mainly due to understaffing. That said I did buzz them back in a lot because I was in a constant panic:blush:

I had a midwife by me more or less constantly, although there was only me and another woman giving birth at the time so Im not sure what it would of been like if there was more babies being born

once i was in active labour i had someone there about 90% of the time

my cousin had a baby that was born brain damaged because they left her in labour for so long she is at the moment suing the hospital when i was in labour i had a nurse that came and checked me every hour and wrote on my notes x

I was left on my own until I was 10cms with Noah, I was left because I was a 'silly little girl who wouldn't know she was in labour because she hadn't been to parenting classes' according to the midwitch from hell. I ended up having to scream to get her to take me seriously, had a horrible traumatic experience, birth and afterwards with Noah, so much so I had a section with Mailie. Noah almost died and so did I. I can see how it happens. My birth with Mailie on the otherhand was absolutely fantastic, only bit I didn't like was hubby leaving me with a tiny Mailie unable to move on my own whilst he went and phoned everyone in the phonebook :dohh:

i had two midwives with me for the whole of my labour (12 hours) and for 2 hours after.

only time i was alone was 10 minutes in the delivery room while they assigned me one

I havent heard about this story.

I was checked every couple of hours until I got to 4cms and sent to delivery suite, then there was someone in there with me ncluding a junior doctor x

when i was in early labour on the ward i hardly saw anyone until DH went and found someone! When i got transferred to Delivery i had a MW constantly by my side (she only left the room for updates with doc and tolilet and making mum and Dh tea!!) When i was transferred for my section she stayed on past her shift so she could be there to reassure me and aid in Jacks delivery.

That story is so sad. RIP little one x

once i was in active labour about 4cm i wasnt alone at all...

maybe that was because of issues and me being induced?

i wouldnt have coped if they had left me and oh!

rip little one xx

I havent heard this story either :(

I was checked on every 20 - 30 mins the entire time i was there, and i even went through 3 lots of mw changes :lol:

Our NHS trust assigns one midwife per client and you wont be left alone at any time - unless you are in the very early stages and they send you off for a walk etc x

I was seen every hour and 15mins for about half hour at time when on the delivery ward. While I was on maternity ward though I was only checked twice in about 36hrs (my labour was very long)

i think if i had a mw constantly in with me id go nuts! i was glad to be checked on regularly and able to buzz if needed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->