Ketones in urine - advice?

puppycat

Mum & PAL
Reaction score
Hello girls.

GP diagnosed Hyperemesis today due to various factors, the obvious being extreme weight loss, extreme vomiting etc.

My question is... I have just tested my urine (out of curiosity more than anything) and it showed fairly high ketones, nothing else. I was sick this morning but managed a piece of toast about 4pm and some sausage and mash about 6.30pm. Surely I shouldn't be too worried now because I've been able to eat and drink a bit since?

Bit of a blurt really! Sorry :blush:

if you are managing to eat and keep some of it down i wouldnt worry. i was in hospital with it at 7weeks. still throwing up now x

If ketones are low then its bad as your body isnt getting enough calories. But as yours are high your body is obviously keeping enough food/fluids in. An awful thought when your just so ill though! That is why my dr would never prescribe me anything. Because even though I was throwing everything up I still had enough ketones in my urine so somewhere somehow I was keeping enough calories down!
xx

When I went for 16 week chk with midwife I had ketones in urine. The midwife told me these show up because of dehydration. My levels were quite low sonshe wasn't overly concerned and fold me to drink more. The sickness will obv dehydrate you but I'm not sure if your levels are higher than mine and therefore more concerning.

My Lovely Lady was diagnosed with Hyperemesis since way early in her first trimester. Her condition was very severe and our hospital took it seriously and did a great job helping her and our lil one out. After complaining of being itchy [beginning of cholestatis for her...] and not holding down anything at all, for almost a week, [food, liquids, not even saliva or even stomach acid] I took her to the ER. The first time, they gave her IV [saline solution] because she was horribly dehydrated. The second time we went in [a few days later], they noticed her blood pressure was super low. They admitted her and noticed her liver enzymes were abnormally high.

While in the hospital, they kept her on a liquid diet. They had her on IV, one saline solution and one medication, to stop the nausea and vomitting. After a few days, she was back to a soft-soft food diet. The IV was also to flush the ketones out of her body, and if I recall correctly, out the womb because you know..that's a horrible thing for our baby to be swimming around in.

So therefore, eating will help to keep your ketone levels down...it'll keep your body from feeding off it's own fat. Otherwise, I would probably suggest going to the ER and asking for IV.

Ketones (if not diabetic) are a sign of your body burning fat due to lack of carbohydrate stores. I know its hard but try and eat more carby things, and drink lots of water, xx

up your water as much as you can. it is probably dehydration more than anything else.

Yea when Im not pregnant, I sometimes do a low carb diet which tries to get the body into ketosis, and I pee on the sticks and hope for a dark result! Just try and eat carbs or high sugar content. I wouldnt worry too much about it

I am also a hyperemisis sufferer, had it with all my pregnancies and have been in and out of hospital many times due to ketoacidosis which is when ketones get too high which is a sign of dehydration and you can basically end up in a coma if its not treated, similar to a diabetic coma, I've been on the brink a couple of times, this time included, you need to drink more than anything so your urine isn't as strong as this eliminates the ketones, if you are struggling to drink as I was try ice and ice lollies, hope you feel better soon,xx

Thanks everyone. I just had a little panic moment :haha: will keep an eye on it and try and flush myself out as much as possible with water today x

Yep just to reiterate, ketones are a by product of your body burning fat, so if there are a high level of ketones in your urine it means you are likely to be dehydrated & hungry!
In non pregnant land, ketones in the urine can be seen as a sign that your diets are working as the lady above so rightly says, but in pregnancy you don't wanna be burning that fat so ideally you want no ketones..

Keep a bottle of water to hand and drink drink drink!

Xxxxx

I would try not to worry too much, I had ketones in my urine after vomitting a few times with an infection recently. I was pretty badly sick over about 12h and was throwing up bile (nice!) a lot so it's possible for results to fluctuate very quickly.

If it doesn't improve hun, ring the hospital. I have hyperemesis and the hospital told me any time I have ketones I have to be re-admitted x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->