• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Keytones in urine still after a drip

Jkelmum

Reaction score
I've been on fluids 20hrs I've had 7 litres yet my urine as still got three plus keytones ... They seem Puzzled but there only
Answer seems to be more fluids ... Anybody else had this

No personal experience but have you been able to eat? That's really the best way to get rid of ketones. Obviously if you are finding eating hard you will need fluids but just make sure they are not overloading you with fluids, 7 litres is a lot to take in, they need to be checking your kidney function & sodium levels as well x

They've checked those. I've had a little toast but as I keep being sick they don't want me to try anything else.

Your ketones won't come down until you are able to tolerate foods as well as the fluids they are giving you. Have they not given you any anti-emetics?

I took 6l of fluids with my first admission and was still 3+ afterwards but as soon as the drugs kicked in and I was able to eat something, they started to go down.

They also shouldn't be discharging you with ketones that high and certainly not if you can't tolerate food. Are you able to drink anything on your own or has your hydration come solely from the drip? If it's just the drip then that will also delay your discharge.

As a fellow sufferer, you have my sympathy. I've been where you are. PM me if you need to talk.
x

Your ketones won't come down until you are able to tolerate foods as well as the fluids they are giving you. Have they not given you any anti-emetics?

I took 6l of fluids with my first admission and was still 3+ afterwards but as soon as the drugs kicked in and I was able to eat something, they started to go down.

They also shouldn't be discharging you with ketones that high and certainly not if you can't tolerate food. Are you able to drink anything on your own or has your hydration come solely from the drip? If it's just the drip then that will also delay your discharge.

As a fellow sufferer, you have my sympathy. I've been where you are. PM me if you need to talk.
x

I am on my 5th different type of anti sickness in two weeks ... I was last sick at 8:30 although the sickness isn't as bad. I've had just toast and water ... Once dr as reviewed me I am going down to shop to buy some fruit as that's what sounds appealing. I was only here last Thursday night too xx

Are you on Ondansetron yet? This is usually the last one they like to give but it seems the one that works well for hyperemesis, unfortunely if you continue being this way you will end up on the steroid route 😟 You really have my sympathy, I was able to stay at home with my hyperemesis on cyclizine/ metroclopramide/ buccastem, but they never really helped, I was just very determined never to be admitted. Would you be able to tolerate lucozade? Small sips. Wishing you all the best x

Often anti-sickness meds work well (or better) in combination. I'm taking cyclizine (which did nothing at all on its own), ondansetron and stemetil which, although it doesn't stop the nausea, stops most of the sickness. This combination has kept me out of hospital.

xx

I suffer ketones in pregnancy. Usually from around 28 weeks as I struggle to eat carbs and my body doesn't get enough from meat and veg. The only way to get rid of them is by eating. I also suffer gestational diabetes and I'm told to eat what I want and we'll control the sugars as they can't get rid of ketones any other way but can control the GD using insulin etc. I was hospitalised 5 times in my 2nd pregnancy for it

:flow:

Can you have some sugar of some sorts? I wanted to see ketones in my urine for a good year (very low carb diet) and anything remotely sugary kicked me right out of ketosis.

Ketones are the by product of fat breakdown. It doesn't matter how much fluid you take in - if you aren't eating your body will breakdown fat for it's energy and there will always be ketones in the urine secondary to this. Therefore, as the previous posters have said, you need to be able to eat before they disappear.

Home. Got promethazine 30mg plus cyclizine to use. I've not been sick for 24hrs. But I have a kidney infection :( xx

I think the simple answer is eat more carbs and less fat. Can you stomach white rice, sweet potatoes etc...?

I think the simple answer is eat more carbs and less fat. Can you stomach white rice, sweet potatoes etc...?

By the time I am admitted I can't tolerate anything but my diet is quite high in carbs and protein at the minute x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"