Kick counts?

CTchick05

DS (8/2011)
Reaction score
Ok so I have a quick question. I am 30 weeks and my baby boy moves like crazy. I mean like craaazy lol. I don't think he ever sleeps. At my 25 week apt my doc had said she would talk to me about kick counts at my 28 week apt. Well I read a lot and started them on my own at 28 weeks because my apt was not until 29 weeks. When I asked her when should I be concerned or when to call she told me not to do kick counts because both him and I are healthy.. Ok.. This doctor must be crazy. I decided to do kick counts up until the day he is here. I don't care what she says I am the MOST paranoid person on the planet. I kid you not. I really am.

1. I was just wondering when I should be worried?

Right now he kicks 10 kicks normally in less than 10 min and the longest is about 32 min. I do 3 kick counts a day. (yes three)

2. understand that he is running out of room but, I was wondering as he gets older.. will it take him longer or should I always expect him to move 10x within 30 min or will he take longer the bigger he gets? My doctor really is no help on this because we are "healthy"

Thank you so much!

Well just because he moves all of the time doesn't mean he's not sleeping. When my mom was pregnant with my sister she moved constantly. And that's because she moves constantly in her sleep as well as when she's awake. She's still that way now and she's been that way since she was born.

As for your questions, I don't think you have anything to be worried about. My doctor just told me to call labor and delivery if he moves less than 10 times in his normal active period over a period of 2 hours. But they do have days when they move less. My baby is not that active and he still meets his quota of kicks.

Yes, as they get bigger, they usually slow down in movements. Mine has. But every baby is different.

Thank You! I am just going to keep my eye on it just to make for sure. Good luck on the rest of your pregnancy!

i dont do kick counts hel kick when he wants to

try not to put too much thought into it or youl drive yourself batty

try look at it this way if you were stuck in a small space would you be kicking all the time or wiggling every now and then

Kick counts, in my opinion, make your worry more! Your "suppose" to do it the same time everyday. But imagine if your baby is tired around that time and is sleeping, obviously he/she is not going to be kicking, and in the end, you worry.

The way I've done it was if I'm laying in bed I'll put my hand on my belly or drink something cold. He usually always moves, if not I give it a little bit of time.

I never did specific counts, you just get to know when they like to move and will automatically feel worried if that changes. I never knew how to count the big turning over movements anyway, and it becomes a lot more squirmy and less kicky as time goes on.

My MW told me 10 kicks in 12hours, some days my LO will do 10 kicks in 10mins and other days it takes a few hours.

You need to pay attention to your LOs rutine. Just pay attantion if his activ more or less at the same time every day (but remember, not all babies have rutine).

my midwife told me that as long as i feel 10 movements in a day its fine

I've been told 10 movements a day is fine too :).

As your baby gets bigger, the movements probably get slower, like more sluggish than they are now. They're not really kicks anymore, more stretches and slow movements. The ammount of movements doesn't get less for me though and I'm pretty sure it shouldn't.

I just pay attention to my baby's routine. She moves in the morning, a bit after lunch and then late at night! Don't get too stressed out by it all, it'll drive you silly!

I was getting quite worried about the whole kick count thing - I agree that it is actually more stressful trying to feel 10 kicks in a particular hour! My Mum was actually quite horrified that we've all been told to do this as it's a recipe for yet more worrying about our babies! When I talked to my midwife about it, she said that they don't encourage that anymore as it was proving really worrying for a lot of mums to be. Instead she said I should be feeling 10 kicks/movements in a day - that's not episodes of movement, it's individual movements and includes the squirmy twitchy feelings as well as the strong kicks. I'm trying to relax about this now and just make sure that I'm aware of baby being active every day. I do notice that if I am very busy, stressed or tired, the baby is a lot quieter and I think it's easier then for me to miss the movements, so if that's the case, I'll do all the things like drinking cold juice or fizzy drink, lie on side and just relax for a while to check that I can then feel the baby moving. I think it's a matter of striking a balance between making sure you can feel the baby moving but not getting so obsessed that you're worrying about it all the time which, as with most things to do with pregnancy, is a lot easier said than done!!

my MW sais aslong as i feel 10 movements/kicks in 12 hours that is fine

im overdue now and the movements are less than before as there is simply not alot of room left in there!!! xxx

I also heard from midwife about 10 movements in 12 hours. Babies in womb have personalities too-some are wrigglers and some are more laid back. Your placenta may be on the front and you may feel less movements than someone who's placenta is on the back.
I definitely wouldn't count 10 kicks within an hour. My LO has more active days and more sleepy days (I think they must be her growth spurts!) and I would just worry myself sick constantly counting.

I think it is important though, that if you feel something is not quite right for your baby (dramatic movement decrease etc) to contact midwife as soon as possible, even if it is just for reassurance.

My baby kicks constantly too and I do 2 hourly kick counts a day and get 50 in my active hours so I asked l&d when I should worry and she said for someone with a constantly active baby we would expect u to be monitor if suddenly u only get 15 in the whole day.it's a drastic change u would b looking for Hun,every baby is different so it's the big change u would be looking for,someone who doesn't get many movements then 10 a day would be fine but for a very active baby then 10 would not be enough,does that make sense or was I rambling lol xx

When I was 3rd tri pregnant my LO would always go crazy during Yoga and then keep me awake till 1am rolling around. At 34 weeks she didn't move much at Yoga, then that night I felt straight to sleep and freaked out in the morning because she hadn't done the 1am thing. I'd never done kick counts but I knew her routine.

Went to hospital and got monitored and she was fine and even started jumping around while I was waiting to be seen! but they told me based on my concerns and how long she'd been quiet during her usual active period, I had definitely done the right thing by going to the hospital.

Thanks everyone for all of your inputs! i had no idea that a lot of you where not doing daily kick counts. I always that thought you where suppose to do them. Thank you so much! Good luck to all of you!

my MW sais aslong as i feel 10 movements/kicks in 12 hours that is fine

im overdue now and the movements are less than before as there is simply not alot of room left in there!!! xxx

I hope LO comes soon for you! Good luck and thank you again for the advice.

I'm sorry but I personally think that the whole rule on kick counts "you should feel 10 kicks in a 12 hour period" etc are a load of old tosh - This is my first (and last!( baby and I am 2 days away from being 32 weeks gone; and in the last 4 or 5 weeks, my baby only moves around FIVE or SIX times in a 24 hour period! This is normal for my baby though - there is nothing wrong with her at all and she's been checked 3 times on the monitors at hospital cos I was worried about lack of movement - but we have now just realised she is a lazy baby lol. My friend who recentley had her baby from around 35 weeks onwards only felt her baby move 3 or 4 times a day - and she has now had a beautiful HEALTHY baby girl :) Honestly don't worry. It really annoys me when people go "OMG you havn't felt her move 10 times in the last 12 hours?!" xx

ps - if I was only to feel her move once or twice in a 24 hour period though or not at all I would be going back into hospital.

I'm sorry but I personally think that the whole rule on kick counts "you should feel 10 kicks in a 12 hour period" etc are a load of old tosh - This is my first (and last!( baby and I am 2 days away from being 32 weeks gone; and in the last 4 or 5 weeks, my baby only moves around FIVE or SIX times in a 24 hour period! This is normal for my baby though - there is nothing wrong with her at all and she's been checked 3 times on the monitors at hospital cos I was worried about lack of movement - but we have now just realised she is a lazy baby lol. My friend who recentley had her baby from around 35 weeks onwards only felt her baby move 3 or 4 times a day - and she has now had a beautiful HEALTHY baby girl :) Honestly don't worry. It really annoys me when people go "OMG you havn't felt her move 10 times in the last 12 hours?!" xx

ps - if I was only to feel her move once or twice in a 24 hour period though or not at all I would be going back into hospital.

Thank you. That really makes me feel a little better. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"