Kids, Chores, Rewards

leeanne

Mom of 3 and Stepmom of 2
Reaction score
What age are your kids and do they have chores they are required to do around the house?

Are the chores something they have to do daily, weekly, etc.?

What reward do they get for completing their chores?

i wouldn't say it is a 'chore' but we ask 3year old to tidy his bedroom up himself and put his toys away after playing with them. we encourage him by saying things like 'oh wow! look at you aren't you a fab little helper! gosh, you're super clever!'

we ask him to do bedroom whenever it seems to need it. only reward is praise.

xXx

my boys are 6 and 3. they both have job charts and get a tick if they do them and at the end of the week they get money in their piggy banks for doing it.

things like tidying bedrooms, bringing washing down to machine, letting dogs in/out, feeding the animals, lil man loves helping to load dishwasher so this was added to them, washing the car with daddy,

the charts are laminated so can be wiped with wet wipes and re-used. there are also a few extra spaces where we note down anything else they have done - like carrying shopping into house or helping to cook dinner (grate cheese, fetch tins etc). they DONT HAVE to do any of the jobs apart from tidy bedrooms, but they know they get more money if they do more.

rhys has chores to do.. my mum thinks its so awful that i make him help out around the house!

his daily chores include:
make his bed
helping me get ffion dressed and putting her pjs in the washing basket
taking his plate back to the kitchen when hes finished breakfast
he has to do 2 nice things for ffion each day (eg, share toys/give her a hug)
he has to tidy his toys away before daddy gets home
take his plate back to the kitchen when hes finished dinner
help me bath ffion

when he completes each thing he gets a sticker on his fireman sam chart, he can get up to 10 stickers a day (7 for his chores and 3 for good behaviour) if he gets 3 or more days out of the whole week with 7+ stars then he gets a treat like a book or a pound to buy some sweeties. at the end of each week we clear the chart and start again.

Not for a longggggg time yet. Apart from slowly introducing tidying their own things like toys bed not throwing food around and rubbing milk in to the glass coffee table :lol: When they understand the meaning of things like pocket money etc that is when this will be introduced to my girls and what they doto helping will depend on age - Something Ive not figured out yet because they are not at that age ...

My girls will have little reward charts Ive no doubt about it but it will be for when they are good, put their toys away not until they are much older would that change to helping Mummy with dishes, hoovering etc of course they have to reach the sink and be able to move the hoover to understand :lol:

The rewards would be a trip out, a toy in town, pocket money and McDonalds or something like that once a month - Hey I use to have one as an older child lol but we're a long way off all that yet. I've always liked the idea of breaking the chart up so if the child has one good day and one bad that everything is not taken from them if that makes sense.

IMO the kids being well behaved makes home life and chores easier therefore I'm more than happy to be 'Mum' and do these things but teach them to do things for themselves too for when they are older (simple plates, washing in basket, tidy toys before bed, make their beds).

I also want my girls to actually 'understand' the chart be at an age that they know what it is exactly IE not just stickers on a board that just looks fun. If that makes sense again lol.

I also want my girls to actually 'understand' the chart be at an age that they know what it is exactly IE not just stickers on a board that just looks fun. If that makes sense again lol.

Understand 100%.

I started the marble in jar scenario awhile back but didn't follow through as much as I should have.

My kids are of that age where they do understand that doing something to help out will perhaps get them some pocket money or a reward.

I'm actually thinking of starting the chart but of course, the things on that chart are what they are capable of and what they really should be doing anyhow - cleaning their toys, their rooms, their messes, etc. I think I will also reward for good behavior such as manners, not talking back, listening...

Extra sticker space would be a good idea for manners etc? Kind of like they don't have to go out of their way to be polite to others etc BUT there is room for a little bonus sticker when you see them be polite to others, listen etc so not to put specifics on how they get them it can be anything that isn't a part of the sticker rules ...

I like that idea thanksie lol :mrgreen:

Aaron helps me tidy up, load the washing machine, hang out the washing, sweep the floors and do the dusting. At the moment it is just fun, but as he gets older I will gradually teach him to do more. When he is older he won't be getting any reward for helping with the regular chores, as it's something I expect him to do anyway. A rather old-fashioned idea perhaps, but my brother and I grew up automatically helping with the chores, it never occurred to us that we should be rewarded other than with praise and thanks. Will have to wait and see what happens though...;)

Extra sticker space would be a good idea for manners etc? Kind of like they don't have to go out of their way to be polite to others etc BUT there is room for a little bonus sticker when you see them be polite to others, listen etc so not to put specifics on how they get them it can be anything that isn't a part of the sticker rules ...

I like that idea thanksie lol :mrgreen:

Yes, extra sticker space and I agree on the rest! My kids are close but lately the bickering, the talking rudely to each other (mostly Amanda to Jayden), Jayden thinking it's ok to playfight with Amanda, etc. is getting to me. So it's time to nip all that in the bud. LOL

Extra good stickers - I do like that idea!

Amanda look slike a little lady likes her quiet space so lil bro being a typical boy won't be going down well? :rofl:

LOL

She's actually starting to get to that age where she's starting to grow up...mature a bit. So, yeah, Jayden is "uncool" in some ways, if you know what I mean. LOL

I'm no where near that stage yet, but I plan to do a 'chore chart' with star stickers and daily chores. At the end of it, if all chores are done then it'll be a family day out (rather than toys and sweets) that we can all enjoy.

SS gets a few hours on the wii if he's good/does chores etc (or when certain step mothers steal the easter egg and he finds out :blush:) :rofl: xx

Hmm we didn't have chore charts etc when I was a kid doing chores LOL but these are some of the chores we did (not all the time.. as asked by my mom):

- cleaning the mirrors in the house (windex & paper towels): all 3 of us did this

- vacuuming: I hated it, luckily my brother and sister didn't HATE it so I usually got out of it!

- dishes: before the dishwasher.. my sister would wash & I'd dry.. my brother never had to help, because it's a "girl chore"... unfair!

- laundry (sorting, switching loads, folding): again only my sister & I, it's another "girl chore".. my brother is the youngest & only boy & my dad was the only boy in his family and was spoiled so my brother was always spoiled as a child, now we all are :rofl:

- cleaning our own rooms, making our beds: all of us have to do this. Not really enforced if we keep our doors shut!

- cleaning the playroom (when we had it): all 3 of us had to do it.

- cleaning the bathroom: me or my sister, my brother's never done it.

- helping with cooking: all of us, but mainly me because I'm at home more during the day

- shovelling: my brother started this when he was like 13

- mowing the lawn: my brother started this the past summer (he was turning 15)

... I didn't do ANYTHING really around the house when I was a teenager; I had a part time job and my parents didn't make me do much after I started working, just cleaning the bathroom occasionally, and I prefer to do my own laundry (my brother & sister leave stuff in their pockets and I don't trust anyone else not to wreck my clothes LOL).

Ummm rewards were basically.. if we asked for money my parents pretty much give us it, they'd sometimes ask us to do something for them before we left, and if we hadn't been helpful around the house they'd say no.. but then give us money anyway and tell us to help more the next week LOL.. :blush:

When he is older he won't be getting any reward for helping with the regular chores, as it's something I expect him to do anyway. A rather old-fashioned idea perhaps, but my brother and I grew up automatically helping with the chores, it never occurred to us that we should be rewarded other than with praise and thanks. Will have to wait and see what happens though...;)

This was how it happend in your house aswell but i suppose we did get pocket money every weekend. We has to help with the general tidying up, doing the dishes after tea, as we got older it extended to helping to cook and then cooking the tea and washing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen and anything else my mam asked us to do. If we did more than what was expected like cleaning the bathroom and doing the ironing we got more pocket money. As i got older id do more to get more money. So i suppose we did get rewards for doing the chores but we dident see it as a reward because it was something we had to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->