kids will be kids??

pippyt

Reaction score
at a soft play area today a boy slightly old than my Monkey hit him.
Now Kay not being used to this behaviour (and being tired) broke his little heart over it.
the mum smiled at me whilst i was trying to console lil man, hust said 'kids will be kids eh?'' and didnt even bother telling her child off!!

kids will not be kids...

my 'kid' knows its not nice to hit...

I get that yes, kids *can* be kids (meaning, there is certain behavior that is more common through different stages)- BUT, it is still our job as parents to help teach our children what is Ok and what is not Ok. Hitting is not Ok- ever. It happens- yes, it's normal for toddlers at times- yes, but that shouldn't mean we "allow" it and do nothing to teach better.

No great advise- but I can see where your frustration comes from.

thankyou just such a frustration especially as she made it seem like it was 'our' problem when really it wasn't, if she apoligised/got her son to apoligise it wouldve been fine but the blaze attitude annoyed me! grrr, i realise Kay is a sensitive child, but if someone hit me id cry too lol xxx

I agree kids will be kids, they are bound to hit at some point. But it's her job to teach that it isn't ok!

She should have told him off and apologised, then you could have said 'kids will be kids'.

There is a huuuuuge difference between 'kids will be kids' and hitting... my son's favorite line is 'that's what boys do!' but he would never ever hit someone. He knows it is wrong.
There is a slight chance that she didn't want to discipline her child in front of you for fear of how you would see it - but that's me living in an ideal world...

Chances are she missed a huge opportunity to teach her child and that is very unfortunate.

Rileys going through a hitting stage - Though hes only 16 months.

I agree, 'Kids will be kids'.. to a point, BUT she still should have told him off, else how wil lhe know its wrong? When Riley hits me, and he doesnt really understand yet, I sternly tell him no, sit him down and tell him it hurts. He sometimes gets the drift, sometimes doesn't so i have to move him away further. However if Daddys in the room, he'll often hit me.. then look at Daddy to see if he'll be told off haha. Its so cute. x

Man this sort of thing really bugs me !!!!!!!!also when the children are playing and not watched by parents and they are really playing up - I have given up being tolerant and will have a word with the child if necessary............................

Man this sort of thing really bugs me !!!!!!!!also when the children are playing and not watched by parents and they are really playing up - I have given up being tolerant and will have a word with the child if necessary............................

Owh I've done this... Parents chatting away and not watching their kids drives me crazy! Espcially the under 4's.

A small boy (2-3) was in the ballpool with me/Riley.. and threw two balls straight in his face. I turned and said 'Erm, no don't do that. That will hurt him' to him, and stood in between them, he ran off. His Mum was still nattering away.

Kids will be kids, they will push, hit, shout bt the behaviour should always be corrected imo.

I don't blame you for being frustrated! I hope your LO is okay now. :hugs:

I agree with what others have said. Kids WILL be kids to a degree - but it is up to us to correct them because otherwise they grow up and that same mentality exists - especially in men. I hate that sort of entitled mentality that 'men will be men'.

at a soft play area today a boy slightly old than my Monkey hit him.
Now Kay not being used to this behaviour (and being tired) broke his little heart over it.
the mum smiled at me whilst i was trying to console lil man, hust said 'kids will be kids eh?'' and didnt even bother telling her child off!!

kids will not be kids...

my 'kid' knows its not nice to hit...

OMG I would be mortified! My kids know its not nice to hit, If I catch them hurting another child I make them say sorry and give a hug and apoligise first to both child upset and the parent. Iv even told other children off myself in soft play, If I see someone older being rough in a toddler area, I tell them they are not allowed in here as they are not under 4, Or if another child says some thing cruel to my child (sadie once had an older boy push her.) I would ask loudly to Sadie (which one pushed you?) and then very loudly state that I was watching and say that if I see anything happen again I will inform parents as bullying is not a nice thing too do!

I agree with the other girls that kids will be kids, but the behavior should be addressed. That said, do you think it's possible she was just embarassed and didn't know how to react? Or perhaps planned on addressing his behavior in private?

I agree with the other girls that kids will be kids, but the behavior should be addressed. That said, do you think it's possible she was just embarassed and didn't know how to react? Or perhaps planned on addressing his behavior in private?

the fact she was laughing at it, makes me believe she just thinks this is normal acceptable behaviour for a child..

and thanks ladies, we are going back today, hopefully no more incidents :flower:

the fact she was laughing at it, makes me believe she just thinks this is normal acceptable behaviour for a child..

and thanks ladies, we are going back today, hopefully no more incidents :flower:

Some people laugh when they're nervous though (myself included). Just a thought.. I don't have a kid that age yet, but I imagine it's tough to manage a child who is prone to being a bit more aggressive.

I hope you have a great time today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->