Kitten

Varenne

Reaction score
The last time I had a new kitten I was a child, so the thought makes me a bit nervous and I need a few reminders about what to prepare/expect!

I also need advice on
-Asking landlord for permission via an agent. We've heard that he allowed the previous tenants 2 dogs so it sounds promising.
-Whether buying a kitten knowing we will possibly move house within the next year is fair or not.

It sounds like it makes utter sense to just wait (don't want to really stress the kitty) but we're yearning for the company and we have no idea when a move will happen. We do have small pets, but it's just not the same. We miss the interaction.

My partner had a cat that lived to 18 who died last April and he misses cats like mad, always looking at cat pictures online.

Thoughts?

We got a kitten almost a year ago and she's been fantastic. She got on brilliantly with LO from the start and is always gentle with him. We lived in a small flat at the time and kept her indoors- litter and food wasn't expensive and she never caused any damage to the flat. Now, we live in a house and she adapted really well to being an outdoors cat.

They adapt really well to moves! My sisters cat has moved arouns a good few times.. if now feels the right time for you why not go for it!

Our cats were never bothered by moves they adapt really well. It sounds like a good chance your agents will say yes to if previous tennants had dogs

My sister has a cat that's been moved from England(nottingam), to germany, to Seattle, to Germany, to Bournemouth . She's an absoutely lovely cat, she thinks she's a human haha. X

I moved my two cats from Montreal to the Netherlands. They adapted really quickly and dealt with the 8hr-flight well. I'm sure moving is doable. That said, both my cats are indoors only and are sterile so there were no issues with getting in heat, settling into the neighborhood, etc. As for the rest, if you have no issues with the landlord and think finding another place that allows pets won't be an issue, I don't see why not. :flower:

We got our kitten about 6 weeks ago and we adore him! He's so entertaining and laid back, he loves snuggling on the sofa with us in the evening and loves playing with our toddler in the day.

I don't find kittens hard work at all their so much easier than a puppy and much easier to litter train! Apart from that all we do is feed him, play with him and empty his litter box daily (a job my husband does as I'm pregnant!).

The main expense is jabs (his first lot cost me £25), neuturing and flea/worm treatments which they need once a month as kittens.

I would love a kitten. We went out looking for a kitten but came back with a 2yr old little girl cat. Including our home shes had 3 homes in 2 yrs. We've had her 1.5 yrs now so shes 3.5yrs old. Shes in charge of the flat now and rules the roost!

We had kittens when I was little and I don't remember confining them to a room for a few days but that's what we did with our cat. A room she could feel safe in with her food in one corner and the litter tray over the other side of the room. Cats are very funny about their litter being near their food and if it is, they will just go and poo in the corner and refuse the litter tray!

So there she stayed for a few days and we would go in and spend time with her and let her come to us when she was ready. After a few days we let her explore the flat in her own time and she was very nervous but very curious aswell and checked out every nook and cranny in each room.

We discovered that cats don't like their water bowl being near their food either. I don't know where she was getting her water from but we never saw her use her water bowl until we moved it right away from her food and we see her lapping it up all the time now. Funny creatures cats are!

Get some toys aswell and cat nip makes them feel secure and they go mad for it and are quite amusing to watch when they roll around in it.

I love kittens and I would love to get one but I don't want to upset madam. She adapted to the baby coming along really well but im not sure how she would find sharing her home with another cat.

Our 2 cats also moved from Atlanta to Holland, and went much better on the flight than I thought. I'm so glad that they've taken back most of the rules like quarantine that used to exist. And my husband is in love with them. We thought it would help us go longer before having a child, but it's had the opposite effect, as he really is amazing with them.

Kittens are very easy in my experience. One of my cats was a stray kitten. Their big need is to feel protected and spoiled, then all is good in my experience.

And Nela, where in NL are you? I'm in Rotterdam. Not very many of us here.

Yeah we got our two cats as kittens. They are mostly very easy to look after. Keep them fed and litter tray clean and theyre happy!

Our two are house cats as we live next door to an Asda loading bay and the younger cat is a bit too adventurous (was caught snooping in trucks the couple of times we let him out) but they are good as gold most of the time.

They have much bigger personalities than you would think. A lot of people think cats are aloof, but if they decide they own you (not the other way round!!!) then they really come out of their little shells.

Moving with cats isnt difficult. Depending on the age of the cat, you shouldnt let them out till 6 months anyway so if your planning on moving within 3 ish months of that then keep them in till you move so they don't get used to going out (as when you move you'll need to keep them in at first so they get used to the fact this is their new home). Oh and make sure you get them neutered - I think they recommend at 6 months now.

If you are considering getting a kitten or a young cat - please please please try out your local rescues first - particularly the independant ones. They are absolutely full to bursting at the minute and rescue cats are no different to bred cats (we have 1 that we bought and one we rescued and the rescue is the more easy going cat!).

Thanks so much for the advice everyone! I'm pleasantly surprised to read all the positive experiences of moving with cats. I always had this idea that they'd totally freak out if moved.

When we move it will be into our first bought house, so no problems there.

I'm very excited as I think this could work :happydance: I'll keep you all updated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->