Knitting Club

lillysmum

Mum of 2 cheeky monkeys
Reaction score
For all you knitters out there, post your pictures here, share patterns or even ask for advice on how to do stitches, cast offs or bind offs etc and learn some new things.

I'm fairly new to knitting and am currently knitting Lucas a baby blanket:

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3606/3680921907_500da3ac27.jpg
this is what it looks like so far

i dont like to knit nomore cos it takes too long and im too crushed if i drop a stitch haha, but i do a lot of crocheting...can i join :D

x

I'm loving Lucas's blanket so far :D I'm a knitter but haven't knit anything for ageeeeeeeeeeeees. I want to start knitting a few things to put on etsy though and I still haven't finished a blanket I started a couple of years before having Elliot.... Maybe this group will inspire me to get going with it?!

:hugs: x

Beautiful blanket, lillysmum - what yarn are you using?
I want to post a picture of the blanket I knit Simon, but it just had a washing accident and has practically felted itself. I'm very sad. :(

I want to post a picture of the blanket I knit Simon, but it just had a washing accident and has practically felted itself. I'm very sad. :(

Awww your poor blanket :hugs: can you use it for something else? xxx

:hissy: I think a cat mat may be all it's good for now.:cry:
I will try to de-fuzz and soften it, but it doesn't look very hopeful.

:hugs: I'm sure you will find a new life as something - all your hard work can't got to waste!!! x

p.s. love the new avatar!

hi there everyone and thanks for joining :) The blanket is coming on great, still have another 10 sets of the pattern to go then the border before it's finished.

The yarn i'm using is 75% acrylic and it's a double knit so it's a greeny colour and white colour sort of mixed together. It's able to be handwashed or washed on a delicate cycle at 40 max.

Will post up more pictures soon of the blanket, the circular needles have really helped to get cracking on with it.

I read somewhere that with really delicate yarns washing with a small bit of shampoo in warm water is all it needs to be cleaned, maybe that could help soften up your blanket Sarah

I was soooooooo tempted to buy some wool today to make a wool soaker (a wrap for cloth nappies) but I restrained myself! I've GOT to finish that blanket before I knit anything else!!!

:hugs: xxx

I love circulars!!
I rarely knit with straights.
All my sweaters get converted to circs right off!
I am currently doing a baby sweater tht is knit on circs all in one piece.
It's from a free pattern off of knitting daily from interweave knits.
The blanket is a mess, but you can sort of see what it used to look like - mitered squares look like patchwork!
Simon modeled it for me, of course!

Attachments

• P1010299.jpg
    P1010299.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 19
  • P1010302.jpg
    P1010302.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 18
Can I join? :blush:
I love to knit although I'm finding it hard at the moment as I have a ganglion in my right index finger which makes it hard to hold the needles. I'm in the middle of making some little Mary Jane shoes for a friends baby, I'll post pics once I've finished!

Lovely colours on that blanket Sarah! That all looks very advanced!!! (and beautiful) x

Hi pinklizzy :wave: can't wait to see pics - hope your finger is better soon x

Lovely colours on that blanket Sarah! That all looks very advanced!!! (and beautiful) x

Hi pinklizzy :wave: can't wait to see pics - hope your finger is better soon x

No! That's just the fabulous thing about it! It looks very complicated, but it's super easy! Mitred squares are very fun. I used a self-striping scarf yarn, so the colours just worked themselves in in interesting ways. Dead easy! I promise! but thank you!
The baby sweater in the round is the same thing. Very simple cable pattern, but otherwise just back and forth on the circulars, then the sleeves are done on dpns. This is the first time I've done this pattern , but I think it's going to be a standard for me. It's cute and fast and will make a great gift for new LOs. I'm just using some ancient, slightly scratchy white wool that my mum gave me, but once I decide to make the sweater for someone, I'll pick up something yummy in a heather grey or green with a little silver button for the top.
Welcome pinklizzy!

Here's a closer close-up of the mitred square. The poor yarn is all fuzzy and felty, but you can sort of see how simple the stitch is.

Attachments

• P1010305.jpg
    P1010305.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 17
Just found a baby sweater that I have to make for Simon.
Here's the link:
https://www.soulemama.com/soulemama/2009/07/the-grampie-sweater.html
Tell me what you think!
I love that it's another project done in one piece on a pair of circulars and that it's fast!

That looks lovely - got all confused with cardigans and sweaters - is a cardigan called a sweater over there?

How does it work knitting it on circulars? I can't picture how you'd do it x

I think sweater applies to anything knit over here!
Cardigans are just sweaters that you do up the front! :)
With circular needles, you knit the whole pattern either top down or bottom up. If you are doing a pull-over, you join in the round and knit round and around until you hit the sleeves. You put the sleeve stitches on hold and continue up or down until you have finished the trunk and collar and bound off. You can go all the way up if you are doing raglan sleeves. You have to split into top and bottom, otherwise.
On circulars, if it's a cardi, you don't join in the round, you knit back and forth, but rather than knitting the back and two front sides separately and piecing them together afterwards, you join the whole thing right off the top and knit it as one piece. No seams, no finishing and the fabric of the knitting tends to be much smoother (at least for me, anyway! )
I'm doing that cabled baby sweater this way. Here are three different angles of it. I am holding it by the collar and the dpns on the sides are where I will go back and knit the sleeves in the round.
Does that sort of make sense?

Attachments

• P1010299.jpg
    P1010299.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 2
  • P1010300.jpg
    P1010300.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 4
  • P1010301.jpg
    P1010301.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 6
Read it a few times and think I've got it sorted in my head!! Thank you for that and the photos really helped - you're very talented x

Not sure what kind of damage it is...but you could try a 'de-pluffer' as my mum and I put it... One of the little bobble remover dealies you can get from the pound shop - they have like a razor that cuts bobbles and imperfections off of the surface of clothes.... Sorry if that's no use, it's the first thing that came to mind, lol! :)

I'm currently knitting scarves btw, so I'll get some pics tomorrow. :) Will be having ANOTHER go at booties soon. I don't like crocheting as much as knitting... :)

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->