Labor and delivery!!

I MUST start the perineum massage!!!!!!! I'm scared! :cry:

NO NO! NO I'M NOT! Women have been doing this for centuries!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I am warrior woman!

:cry:

What is a perinium massage??? (excuse my dumbness . . . .) I know what the perimium is and what a massage is, but somehow simply can't connect the two!!!

I don't see any issue with cloud cuckoo land - in fact that's where i want to be during labour :rofl:

You can come and visit me in denial, it's lovely here and I have cookies!

I don't see any issue with cloud cuckoo land - in fact that's where i want to be during labour :rofl:

You can come and visit me in denial, it's lovely here and I have cookies!

It's a deal! Cloud cuckoo land with cookies - perfect!!

Mmmmm. Cookies . . . I like the ones with smarties on. Yummy yummy. Or a krispy cream. Mmmmmmmmmmm. Tasty!

What was this thread about ???? . . . . . . . . .

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I am warrior woman!

What is a perinium massage??? (excuse my dumbness . . . .) I know what the perimium is and what a massage is, but somehow simply can't connect the two!!!

it apparently is one of THE things which is most LIKELY to (but not definitely) stop or minimize tearing in birth.

I thought it was just spreading the bio oil I've been putting on my tummy and thighs to my perineum but apparently you're supposed to do it all round there and then inside yourself too.

i posted a link on the pregnancy club a while ago that I found really helpful. In that it says:

To perform a perineal massage, a woman or her partner places one or two fingers about an inch to an inch and a half into the vagina. Use almond oil, K-Y jelly, pure vitamin E oil, wheat germ oil or other lubrication. Gently stretch the lower part of your vagina, gently stretching the perineum, until you feel a slight burning or stinging sensation for several minutes. Concentrate on relaxing the tissues through the stretch. Then, gently, massage your lower vagina with your thumbs for several more minutes, avoiding the urinary opening.

I REALLY don't like the bit in BOLD but then its probably NOTHING compared to labour. :cry:

NO!

WARRIOR!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

:bodyb:

Here's the full link by the way:

https://www.notjustskin.org/en/episiotomiesandtears.html

I had an epidural with my first and it didn't bloody work, arghhhhhhhhh (Be prepared 5% of women it doesn't work for - according to my anaethatist). They had gave me the drip to speed up my contractions as it was a very long labour 2 and a half days and established for 23 and 3 quarter hours....They then gave me diamorphine and I was in heaven, along with the aid of gas and air. I was ripped to bits :-( I couldn't push him out, he was stuck there in the birth canal for 1 and 3 quarter hours, but I bloody pushed him out when I seen the forceps coming towards me!) PHEW!!!!

After this experience I opted for the diamorphine and gas and air straight away with my other 2, as I knew this worked well for me. You still feel the pain, it just takes the edge off it. Having any form of drugs slows down the labour, BUT in my opinion "f**k natural, I want drugs!!" You get no prizes for putting up with the pain.

Some women are able to cope and deliver naturally as they dilate quickly and have shorter labours, some of us dilate slowly. You don't know what "you do" until you experience it, so don't be dissappointed if you have to change your birth plan when in labour, after all drugs or no drugs you have still gave birth and done extremely well. You're not a failure if you have to be supported by prescribed drugs.

I've only ever been in labour in my body, so I don't know if my pain is the same as someone elses, it may be that my pain threshold is lower than someone elses? I just know I NEED DRUGS!!!!!

Although I'm not a complete wuss, I wait until I'm around 6cm dilated, lol.

Much as I'd love to do it all naturally I think I'm going to go for all the pain relief that I can get my hands on!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I am warrior woman!

it apparently is one of THE things which is most LIKELY to (but not definitely) stop or minimize tearing in birth.

I thought it was just spreading the bio oil I've been putting on my tummy and thighs to my perineum but apparently you're supposed to do it all round there and then inside yourself too.

i posted a link on the pregnancy club a while ago that I found really helpful. In that it says:

To perform a perineal massage, a woman or her partner places one or two fingers about an inch to an inch and a half into the vagina. Use almond oil, K-Y jelly, pure vitamin E oil, wheat germ oil or other lubrication. Gently stretch the lower part of your vagina, gently stretching the perineum, until you feel a slight burning or stinging sensation for several minutes. Concentrate on relaxing the tissues through the stretch. Then, gently, massage your lower vagina with your thumbs for several more minutes, avoiding the urinary opening.

I REALLY don't like the bit in BOLD but then its probably NOTHING compared to labour. :cry:

NO!

WARRIOR!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

:bodyb:

Here's the full link by the way:

https://www.notjustskin.org/en/episiotomiesandtears.html

Now I really need that cookie . . . . . .

(thanks though - and does sound plausible that it could work. Poor OH - I'd best get him a cookie too before suggesting he helps) Haaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

i want to just do it on gas and air! last time i had pethidine too, but it was only so i could sleep a bit - i went into labour at 2am and katie didnt arrive til 00.52!! so i was a very tired mummy!

sounds soppy, but the best pain relief would be to have katie there cos she really works some how!!

What's freaking me out is I thought you just used some special oil and gave yourelf a bit of a massage! They shouldn't call it a perineum massage if it invloves pain.

Ok, I am now offically going to live in denial and I'll make sure that there are lots of cookies for all the people that want to join me! I think I may need extra!

wellllll, I know I have a very high pain thresh hold but, one pain is entirely unlike another so it's hard to say how I will feel in that situation. I mean, I've broken my jaw in a mosh pit and didn't even think it was broken and I actually enjoy the feeling of being tattooed BUT each pain is unique and has it's own threshold in my opinion.

I would LIKE to do the birthing without epidural only because I am super worried about breastfeeding (I've had a reduction and expect certain challenges) and I've been told that babies are more interested in getting to know the breast if they're not sleepy due to epidural (I am aware that they don't really feed after birth but that they are more inclined to explore the breast is alert and what-not).

Then reading red poppy's massage bit I almost threw up so...oy, dunno! My plan is to take it as it comes and be open to what needs to happen to progress.

wellllll, I know I have a very high pain thresh hold but, one pain is entirely unlike another so it's hard to say how I will feel in that situation. I mean, I've broken my jaw in a mosh pit and didn't even think it was broken and I actually enjoy the feeling of being tattooed BUT each pain is unique and has it's own threshold in my opinion.

I would LIKE to do the birthing without epidural only because I am super worried about breastfeeding (I've had a reduction and expect certain challenges) and I've been told that babies are more interested in getting to know the breast if they're not sleepy due to epidural (I am aware that they don't feed after birth but 'apparently' they are more inclined to explore the breast if alert and what-not).

Then reading red poppy's massage bit I almost threw up so...oy, dunno! My plan is to take it as it comes and be open to what needs to happen to progress.

Okay, just tried to edit for spelling and it posted twice *grrr* sorry ladies!

It's my first so I just want it to be safe for the both of us and end up with a healthy baby! I know I propbably sound a bit naive but the whole birth plan thing I just see as a waste of time as I know so many people who didn't even get theirs out of their bag when they got to hospital! I'm just going to see what happens and go with it!

Trust me, a birth plan is not a waste of time....

Now I really need that cookie . . . . . .

(thanks though - and does sound plausible that it could work. Poor OH - I'd best get him a cookie too before suggesting he helps) Haaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I know!!! :shock: :cry:

Just to add, I don't think you need to start the massage until well into third tri if I remember correctly. Like I'm not doing it. Maybe once I get to 32 weeks or something?

I'm actually going to call up the hypno birth natal hypno woman thing now....

I REALLY don't want to be scared of birth.

HAHA! That reminds me!!!! My OH did a few weeks of mixed martial arts and he said the people who do it have this attitude of "IT'S ONLY PAIN!!!! GRRRRR" and so they'd have him down on the floor with their dead weight on him and their elbow stuck in his back and his arm twisted round and he'd be all "aaaaaarrghhhh" and the instructor would always be like: "It's ONLY PAIN!!!! Nothing's broken!!! It's just PAIN!!!! Deal with the PAIN!!!" :rofl:

I hope I don't get a midwife like that! :rofl:

I'm going to give that a go because it does sound very very interesting and well worth the experiment. It certainly can't do any harm!
I have to say I'm not scared of the birth and labour - I'm more curious - if I have a fear then it is tearing and ending up with a woohoo that you could park a car in, not the pain, and if tearing can be avoided, then all the better!
I can understand the fear that some people have, but it can't be that bad otherwise no woman would have more than 1 child!
That made me laugh about the instructor. It's a wonder any of them remain alive!!

I am wondering about where to go, as if you have no complications around here, they refer you to a birthing centre unless you request the hopsital. The thing with that is that there are no doctors there, only midwives, so if you need an epidural or if any complications develop, then they have to blue light you to the general in Southampton which is about 15 mins away. Lots of people I know have loved the birthing centre, and it is nearer to home, but I am wondering if I should request the hospital as then at least if you need it you are already there and don't have to worry about getting an ambulance? Has anyone else had any experience of birthing centre V hospital? The other thing that worries me is that I have seen two accidents recently and in both cases it has taken over an hour for an ambulance to arrive so I am thinking that the ambulance service around here is not too great either!

If everything goes well then I plan to be at home with only gas and air, dim lighting, relaxing music and the birthing ball.

If things start to go wrong leading to hospital admission... things like.... need induction, slow labour, signs of foetal distress... then I will go for an epidural. All of these things could increase the likelihood of instrumental delivery or c-section, so I would rather be ready with the epidural in-situ before there becomes a need to cut me. I can't really think of any reason I would go into hospital and not have an epidural, unless it there was a lack of community midwives available when I go into labour.

I don't want injection, as I don't a sleepy baby.

I don't want a water birth as if I meet criteria for water birth I would rather be at home, and if I was at home I don't think OH could cope with the practicabilities of emptying the pool without fainting or throwing up.

My biggest fear is a long latent stage of labour and spending several hours / days getting from 0cm to 3cm, then being too tired to manage active labour.

hahahaha this thread has me reaching for the tena ladies hehehehehe

Oh and can I say - I HAVE TO GET TWO OF THEM OUTTTTTTTTT EEEEEEEKKKKKKK

MY biggest nightmare is delivering the first naturally then having a c section - can you imagine having to go through both ekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->