Labor and Genetics??

Dolphinz4

Mommy to a Prince
Reaction score
Ok girls- I want to have a little "experiment" LoL- I want to see if the way you have your baby (natural or c-section) has anything to do with hereditary- Ok let me explain myself- My mom, aunt, maternal gramother and maternal cousins ALL had c-sections- they just could never dialate- I know that each pregnancy is different and complications can happen, but tell me about your genetics as far as childbirth is concern- I would LOVE to have my baby naturally, but Im kind of scared that I will follow in the footsteps of the women in my family- Thanks girls! :thumbup:

My mum and my grandma had .natural births, my mum even said it did not hurt so much so I'm hoping to be the same too lol :)

I was breech, my ankles literally wrapped around my neck - so my mom was in labor with me for over 24 hours when they finally gave her a C-section ( her doctor didn't even show up until she had been laboring for over 12 hours soooo not sure how much of that could have been avoided)

I have no interest in a med free childbirth :thumbup: Gimmie an epi, but I would also rather avoid a C-section if possible :baby:

My mom had me at 19...au naturale lol...8 hours labor..I weighed 9lbs 10oz and she almost bled to death because I got stuck so they used the vacuum/forceps on me....she was induced with my brother (I cant remember why) but had him naturally too...he was about 8lbs I think.not sure how long or anything...went into labor with my sister...she was natural too...about 7 lbs...also not sure how long but none of them were over a day and prolly pretty quick...

she has super painful period and ovulation cramps..so much so that they had given her muscle relaxers for them...and she said that most of the contractions were nothing compared to what she went through each month around AF time...

I also have super painful ovulations and periods...they actually thought I had endometriosis it was so bad...found out in October I actually have PCOS so Im assuming it was cysts causing most of the pain..probably like my mom but back in the day they didnt really look for PCOS like they do now... so Im hoping that Im like her and my contractions and labor are easy for the most part and natural and fast..Im going for a water birth...and am not afraid to ask for drugs but Im thinking..and hoping..I can work through the pain like I used to do every month for days at a time...

my mum had 4 kids including me. she had 5hour labours with my sister and brothers with me abit longer cos i was her first she always had her babies pretty quick and only with gas and air me however i was in labour for 40hours and had alot of complications and he was born with a vontouse anyway im HOPING this time i take after my mum!!!! lol xx

Hi hun, my labour lasted for 4 hrs and had my dd naturally and had gas and air. However, I was supposed to have a planned c-sec due to me having a fibroid and where it was located and on the day of my section, found out my dd had engaged and was discharged from hospital.

When my mum had me, I was born naturally and was breech. The dr's wanted her to have a c-sec, but she refused and wouldn't let my dad sign the consent forms unless either me or her where in trouble. When she had my brother he was born 6 weeks early naturally. The hospital did try to stop her contractions, but my brother had decided he wanted to meet the world.

I hope I'm just as lucky with this lo.

I was breech, my ankles literally wrapped around my neck - so my mom was in labor with me for over 24 hours when they finally gave her a C-section ( her doctor didn't even show up until she had been laboring for over 12 hours soooo not sure how much of that could have been avoided)

I have no interest in a med free childbirth :thumbup: Gimmie an epi, but I would also rather avoid a C-section if possible :baby:

Amen to that!!! LoL

My mum had 3 sections. My older sister had two children completely naturally, one in hospital but the other a home birth and my younger sister had her baby via c section last year. I'm interested in genetics because I know other members of my family couldn't dilate, my younger sister who had the section was in labour for 3 days after being induced but nothing was happening so I'm hoping I don't have that sort of labour!!!

mum has had 5 kids was "induced" with the first three of us to fit into the doctors schudule but had us with no futher intervention and had the last 2 at home with no pain relief they were also her biggest children weighing in at 10lb 4oz and 10lb 6 oz

ive had both mine vaginally , ds1 with ventouse assistance because his arm got stuck behind my pubic bone and we couldnt turn him to get him out without the ventouse, and ds2i was induced but had him completely naturally with no assitance , ds1 was 9lb 10oz and ds2 was 10lb 12oz.

with ds2 i was 10days over my cerivx unmoving and posteior and tightly closed after 3 attempted sweeps , but one lot of gel and i was underway and he was out in under 8 hours from the time they gave me the gel.

edited to add: my elder sister gave birth to her son naturally at home with no pain relief either, both her and I used breathing and concentration /relaxing techniques to help in our labors , i took a few puffs on the gas and air and used Tens and water alternatively in both my labors

If genetics continue to follow as they have so far in this pregnancy with past women in my family then I shouldn't have any issues with labor and delivery. All women in my family never had any issues or required c-sections. Will just have to wait and see. Even with a family full of longer larger babies. Not one has been shorter than 20 inches or weighing less than 8lbs.

My mom had me at 19...au naturale lol...8 hours labor..I weighed 9lbs 10oz and she almost bled to death because I got stuck so they used the vacuum/forceps on me....she was induced with my brother (I cant remember why) but had him naturally too...he was about 8lbs I think.not sure how long or anything...went into labor with my sister...she was natural too...about 7 lbs...also not sure how long but none of them were over a day and prolly pretty quick...

she has super painful period and ovulation cramps..so much so that they had given her muscle relaxers for them...and she said that most of the contractions were nothing compared to what she went through each month around AF time...

I also have super painful ovulations and periods...they actually thought I had endometriosis it was so bad...found out in October I actually have PCOS so Im assuming it was cysts causing most of the pain..probably like my mom but back in the day they didnt really look for PCOS like they do now... so Im hoping that Im like her and my contractions and labor are easy for the most part and natural and fast..Im going for a water birth...and am not afraid to ask for drugs but Im thinking..and hoping..I can work through the pain like I used to do every month for days at a time...

Yoour mom was a lucky girl! WE HAVE THE SAME DUE DATE :happydance:

My mum had 3 sections. My older sister had two children completely naturally, one in hospital but the other a home birth and my younger sister had her baby via c section last year. I'm interested in genetics because I know other members of my family couldn't dilate, my younger sister who had the section was in labour for 3 days after being induced but nothing was happening so I'm hoping I don't have that sort of labour!!!

wOW THREE days of labor!!!!! Poor thing! :nope:

mum has had 5 kids was "induced" with the first three of us to fit into the doctors schudule but had us with no futher intervention and had the last 2 at home with no pain relief they were also her biggest children weighing in at 10lb 4oz and 10lb 6 oz

ive had both mine vaginally , ds1 with ventouse assistance because his arm got stuck behind my pubic bone and we couldnt turn him to get him out without the ventouse, and ds2i was induced but had him completely naturally with no assitance , ds1 was 9lb 10oz and ds2 was 10lb 12oz.

with ds2 i was 10days over my cerivx unmoving and posteior and tightly closed after 3 attempted sweeps , but one lot of gel and i was underway and he was out in under 8 hours from the time they gave me the gel.

edited to add: my elder sister gave birth to her son naturally at home with no pain relief either, both her and I used breathing and concentration /relaxing techniques to help in our labors , i took a few puffs on the gas and air and used Tens and water alternatively in both my labors

Wow, your family is filled with big babies!!! Your two boys are beautiful btw!

Yoour mom was a lucky girl! WE HAVE THE SAME DUE DATE :happydance:

I know..she never lets me live it down lol..every freaking birthday I have to hear it lol lol... she said that when she took me for my wellcheck a day or two after...they looked at me..I was fat and pink and fine...and looked at her..she was pale..no energy..they told her to get on the table instead of me lol...but she recovered... Im just hoping Brieanan is smaller than I was..course..I guess I should mention I was 3 weeks late!!!! I wasnt planned and my mom had pseudo periods for the first few months so they thought she was off on her dates so they let her go way late lol...I prolly would have been normal sized had they induced her at my actual due date lol..

yay for Oct 24th!!! I am sooo excited..it seems like sooo far from now.. I cant wait!

My mom has had 7 children and no c-sections. I haven't had a c-section. Only one of my four sisters with children has had a c-section and she has high blood pressure and pcos.

My mum, sister, and myself have only had natural labours with no pain relief. One interesting difference though is Mum had her waters break early and needed to be induced with both my sister and myself. I on the other hand didn't have my waters break with my daughter until after an hour and a half of pushing.

not true in my family, my mum had 5, 2 induced, 3 came on their own, 1 breech and babies all different weights.

my sister induced, natural deliver, they went on her own with her 2nd, only gas and air, got 4th degree tears with her 2nd and had to have 3 hours surgery to repair.
my other sister induced, vontous delivery, then went on her own with her 2nd, epidural with both
my younger sis, went on her own, remiphentol and no stiches, biggest baby of them all,
me, pre-eclampsia, induced, no progress, distressed emcs,

every baby is different and every delivery is different, best thing my mum told me is to have an open mind and definately don't forget your sense of humor.

I don't think its genetics at all. If it was, I'd be screwed :)

My mother had three sections, my sister three sections, my MIL two sections, and my SIL had two sections as well, and all the babies were large (I was over nine lbs at birth). I had a natural delievery with my son, who was just over seven pounds at 41 weeks :)

All my relatives were freaked out at how he looked after birth (red, pointy head, squished!) since they had never seen a vaginally birthed baby up close. I thought it was rather amusing.

well not sure about my grandma but my mum had 3 c-sections, my sister had a natural and i had a c-section xxx

Its not all down to genetics some of it may play a part, however alot is down to baby and babys posistion.. Also remember when most of our mums where having us the medical side was no where near as strong as it is now in finding out things like posistion via scans etc.

My nan had 3 C-sec due to non dialation her DD has had normal births

My mum had me VERY long labour sucktion cup to get me out
My mum had my brother short labour goalie required lol

I had my son 4hours in labour start to finish with 2 sucks of gas and air and no extra help apart from they broke my waters otherwise he would of been delivered in them lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->