labour question?

sophiecouldwe

Reaction score
just got back from antenatal classes and me and OH came away feeling a bit confused. we were talking about what postition you give birth in. and me being naive and watching too much telly i assumed that you gave birth lying down...not the case but we were never told how you do give birth. stood up? sat down? kneeling? i dont know????!!!!? any answers please? xxx

u can give birth any way u feel comfortable hun! but they do try and encourage you to not just be lying down on the bed now! as gravity serves its purpose with u bein upright and on ur feet!

obviously theres exceptions in 'give birth how ever u want'

i.e u wouldnt be doing a hand stand :rofl:

but it really is up to you

xx

Any way you want! Its totally up to you :)

i gave birth to my first lay down, all happened way too quick to decide any different,
when having grace which was also very quick but managed to get into a crawling / kneeling position and felt it was a lot easier,

i kind of thought the same, laying sitting on a bed, bit of grunting and out he pop's.
tv's lied to me all these years! with just over 3 weeks left i may have to invesigate a bit more seriously :blush:

If you face forwards and bend over a bit you are giving yourself 30% extra room in the pelvis (doggy styleeish!)
Apparantly on your back is one of the worst, youre not using gravity to help that way.

At mine we were told its better to be upright due to gravity, but on your side if you have an epidural.
We also got given a sheet that shows positions you can be in for labour.

Do you have anymore classes? It might be worth asking if they can go back over that subject next time, as if you left feeling confused then the chances are other people did too.

I asked hundreds of questions at my antenatal classes, I think its easy for midwives to forget to explain things properly as they do it everyday.

I always thought that too until my antenatal classes!! I felt so dumb lol:blush:

Our mw's told us that squatting is one of the best and doggy style as mentioned above.

We got a handout which showed us different positions for the different stages - do you have any more classes? Maybe you could ask for something similar. If not, maybe try searching the net for labour positions?

This sis something I am going to do differently this time around if I can. With all my 3 I was just lay on the bed on my back and told to start pushing:dohh: I never gave any thought to other positions or nor was any suggested to me.....might try something different this time around though. (god, I sound like im talking about a bag of sweets dont i!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->