Lactose free weaning ?

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by Jkelmum, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Jkelmum

Jkelmum Well-Known Member

So cut long story short my baby is lactose intalarent ...any ideas what she can have for breakfast ? she loves her porrige but cant have it for 2 wks until this milk starts helping her
    Doc says to keep with finger food apart from cheese but other then that didnt say a lot:wacko:

2. mommyof3co

mommyof3co Mommy of 4 amazing boys!

Loads of things have milk in them so you're gonna want to read all your labels. The safest thing to start with would be veggies and fruits of course. Hayden couldn't have dairy. But rice cereal and oatmeal don't have them in there....so making that up with her soy milk, or something other than milk with lactose in it it should be fine

3. stephwiggy

stephwiggy Well-Known Member

My lad was milk free to start and then was milkprotines /wheat and anotherone that i cannot think of right now

anywhos - in all major supermarkets they have a "free from" isle and they have lovely bread in there which is milk free !! and a few if the main brands are milk free - also if looking for breakfast bit sbe sure to look at the own brands as they tend to have less milk in (exaple coco pops and tomatoe sause)

Umm you can also get milk free cheese and not to forget goats cheese - and if your we one is on wysoy or alike you can make Porrage with that.

4. kirsten1985

kirsten1985 Guest

Freya is on Wysoy, and we are not giving her any dairy. We also love the free from aisle in the supermarket and get loads from there. She loves goats milk natural yoghurt, even though I think it is manky! She would eat it all day I think. We make her porridge with wysoy/water and that's about it I think.

Glad you found out what was wrong with her and it can be sorted :hugs:

5. Jemma_x

Jemma_x Mummy and Engaged

Connor has a cow milk protein allergy so cant have an milk, cheese, yogurts basically anything dairy. Im going to find connors milk free weaning book out as that recommends stuff they can have. have you been referred to diatician?

6. Jkelmum

Not yet Jemma i have to give this milk 2 wks before they decide what next xxx

7. Jemma_x

oh right, what milk is she on now?

8. Jemma_x

found my milk free weaning book and i know connors allergy is a cows milk protein one so is different to lactose free as there more stuff connor cant have but these are the things i have to avoid:

Milk
    Modified milk
    milk solids
    non fat milk solids
    skimmed milk powder
    cream
    artificial cream
    cheese
    yogurt
    buttermilk
    butter
    margarine
    ghee
    whey, whey solids
    hydrolysed whey protein
    hydrolysed whey sugar
    casein (curds)
    caseinate
    hydrolysed caesin
    lactose

Then it has another page with food to choose:

breakfast cereals served with there milk, ready break didnt use to contain milk products but now does, they recommend weetabix and rice crispies
    wholemean or white bread/rolls/pitta bread sticks
    all plain pasta
    tinned spagetti in tomato sauce
    boiled/baked/roasted potates, if mashing use there own milk and milk free margarine
    all fresh/frozen/ tinned and dried fruit
    all fresh and frozen vegatables, home cooked no salt
    beef/chicken/lamb/pork/turkey
    all fresh and frozen plain fish
    homemade desserts made with there own milk
    milk free biscuits, oatcakes and crackers
    peas, beans, lentils and tofu
    it says to avoid introducing egg as babies who react to milk may also react to egg so to discuss with diatician when to introduce egg.

there is some recipes for milk free desserts at the back which i can write up for you if you want

9. Jkelmum

Thanks Jemma thats really helpful she is on soya milk :hugs: xx