lactose intolerance

Lil_Baby_Boo

Reaction score
Well after nearly 2 years of me argueing with midwives, health visitors and doctors Noah was finally diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance.

We had an appt at the hosp today and the doctor was brilliant :thumbup:

I came out feeling good knowing I was right all along but also annoyed that I'd let my baby and myself too be told what it was and what it wasn't!!!

When Noah was first born I instantly picked up that something didn't feel right because of the fact he couldn't hold milk down (this was before he was even 24 hours old) He was constantly sick in the hospital and couldn't keep his milk down. I was simply told 'some babies are more sickly than others' and then a few months down the line it was because I'd bottle fed him and not breastfed :growlmad:

We had trips to the docs at least 3 times a month and it was always same old story from who ever we seen - 'He's fine, some babies are sick! Its only if it shoots so far that it hits the wall that you want to worry! He's growing and putting on weight - there can't be anything wrong!!' We literally needed about 10 changes of clothes a day.

In the end I was so fed up I'd drummed it in to myself that it must have been my fault!! After months of changing milks we found he was more settled on organic - still sick but not half as much. Gave in with listening to HV's advice & critisisims (sp)

Once Noah turned 1 we put him on full fat cows milk and he was sick again, we started to only give him half and the sickness stopped but tummy ache and wind and bad nappies (which I had assumed were normal as I'd never known any diff :dohh:) continued!! After a suggestion from a family friend I swapped to lacto free and within a day Noah was a diff baby, no more wind, normal poop and no sick :happydance:

As we'd moved house I made an appt at the docs and while I was there mentioned about his milk and that I thought he must be lacto free. Appt finally sorted nearly a year down the line.

As soon as I told the dr at the hosp today he diagnosed it.

I've now got to test every 6 months by giving him some cows milk and seeing how he reacts as babies tend to grow out of it.

I'm just so mad at myself knowing that I knew but nobody would listen!!

Mothers instinct eh......

I just wanted to share so that if anyone else is having similar probs and you know you're right about something - don't give in :nope:

So glad you finally got it sorted hunni:) I bet noah is alot happier now :)

Hiya, Kian was diagnosed with lactose intollerance when he was about 14 months. Our problems started when we began weaning. He was never sick but had tummy pains and horrendous nappies. We used lacto free milk and tried him with milk every few months. He's now 4 1/2 and is able to tolerate semi skimmed milk and low fat milk products (yoghurts, rice pudding, custard etc). I found that tesco had a good range of lacto free stuff, chocolate, puddings, yoghurts etc. Also one thing he was always fine with was small amounts of cheddar cheese, which i was told was low in lactose.
Hope our little one is much happier now and hopefully he will be one of the lucky ones that grows out of it. xx

Thanks for the post. Very interesting. I cant believe it took so long for anyone to listen! So glad he is a lot better now and you can get on being a happy family :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->