Ladies using progesterone cream... HELP!!

Kellysmom

Reaction score
So this is the first month I've used the cream directly after ovulation (3 dpo, to be exact) for pre-AF spotting anywhere from 3-7 days before AF. I'm now about 8 dpo, and I have so many symptoms it's unreal! My BB's are so sore I can barely touch them, I'm bloated and gassy, nauseated in the morning, and have had headaches every day for three days now.

Progesterone cream is supposed to REDUCE PMS symptoms, not make them worse! I've read that inital doses may cause swollen breasts, bloating, and gas because the body is recovering from long term progesterone deficiency... but I've also read these are the same symptoms when using too much cream!!

So how do you tell the difference? I searched this forum, and in every post I found the women talked about having NO symptoms. Am I doing something wrong? Really need your help ladies!!!! :hugs:

Who said progesterone creams reduce pms symptoms? They are supposed to cause pms symptoms? That's why pms symptoms go away when you get AF because progesterone drops. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!! Hope you get your bfp hun, lots of sticky baby dust xxx

Who said progesterone creams reduce pms symptoms? They are supposed to cause pms symptoms? That's why pms symptoms go away when you get AF because progesterone drops. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!! Hope you get your bfp hun, lots of sticky baby dust xxx

You are correct. Progesterone will cause symptoms similar to PMS / Pregnancy symptoms. Basically your body is being fooled into believing it is pregnant. You get pregnancy symptoms because of the increase in progesterone that your body is making; hence if you are increasing your progesterone with creams, supplements, etc you can expect the same symptoms as early pregnacy symptoms which are the same symptoms as PMS.

So this is the first month I've used the cream directly after ovulation (3 dpo, to be exact) for pre-AF spotting anywhere from 3-7 days before AF. I'm now about 8 dpo, and I have so many symptoms it's unreal! My BB's are so sore I can barely touch them, I'm bloated and gassy, nauseated in the morning, and have had headaches every day for three days now.

Progesterone cream is supposed to REDUCE PMS symptoms, not make them worse! I've read that inital doses may cause swollen breasts, bloating, and gas because the body is recovering from long term progesterone deficiency... but I've also read these are the same symptoms when using too much cream!!

So how do you tell the difference? I searched this forum, and in every post I found the women talked about having NO symptoms. Am I doing something wrong? Really need your help ladies!!!! :hugs:

Unfortunately you won't be able to tell the difference. The medication will make the same symptoms. This is what happened to me last month. I started taking progesterone last month and had all the same early pregnancy symptoms that I had when I was pregnant (ended in MC 1 week later) So I thought for sure I was preggo but it was just the medicine making those symptoms. Just stay positive!!! :)

The makers of progesterone cream, plus the multitude of websites I researched all claim it's supposed to reduce PMS symptoms in women who are not menopausal. The good thing is that I'm highly realistic here, knowing full well that my symptoms are because of the progesterone and not because of an early BFP.... but my question is not about progesterone cream/pregnancy symptoms.... it's really about how to tell the difference between too much progesterone cream and just that it's working to reduce high estrogen levels.

Thanks for the help ladies!!!

Unfortunately you won't be able to tell the difference. The medication will make the same symptoms. This is what happened to me last month. I started taking progesterone last month and had all the same early pregnancy symptoms that I had when I was pregnant (ended in MC 1 week later) So I thought for sure I was preggo but it was just the medicine making those symptoms. Just stay positive!!! :)

Did you use progesterone cream? I know the pills are different as they contain a synthetic progesterone that increases levels in the body exponentially... but the cream only increases those levels slightly and in some women not at all.

Thanks for your input!!

Did you use progesterone cream? I know the pills are different as they contain a synthetic progesterone that increases levels in the body exponentially... but the cream only increases those levels slightly and in some women not at all.

Thanks for your input!!

I'm not using the cream. I am on Prometrium. You are right that the pills have a higher level in them but it should balance out the same. I am very LOW so that's why I am on higher doses to help sustain a pregnancy but progesterone cream vs pill will have very similar symptoms. When using the cream you won't notice the symptoms as drastic as the pill though.

Thanks for your input!!

I'm not using the cream. I am on Prometrium. You are right that the pills have a higher level in them but it should balance out the same. I am very LOW so that's why I am on higher doses to help sustain a pregnancy but progesterone cream vs pill will have very similar symptoms. When using the cream you won't notice the symptoms as drastic as the pill though.

OMG!! If that's that case I can't imagine what you're going through Haley! Good for you sticking through it! It does make me worry a little that I might be using too much though....I just barely found out that the directions on the package are wrong, but now that I'm this far into it I don't want to start using less causing my levels to drop too soon.

Thanks so much for your input, it really was a tremendous amount of help!! Good Luck to you!! :hugs: :kiss:

The makers of progesterone cream, plus the multitude of websites I researched all claim it's supposed to reduce PMS symptoms in women who are not menopausal. The good thing is that I'm highly realistic here, knowing full well that my symptoms are because of the progesterone and not because of an early BFP.... but my question is not about progesterone cream/pregnancy symptoms.... it's really about how to tell the difference between too much progesterone cream and just that it's working to reduce high estrogen levels.

I just re-read my post, and it seems like I came off a little rude, I was NOT meaning to be. I'm sorry if it seemed that way!!!! :hugs:

I just re-read my post, and it seems like I came off a little rude, I was NOT meaning to be. I'm sorry if it seemed that way!!!! :hugs:

Hahaha, no worries! :hugs:

I am on my first cycle using progesterone, and I know exactly what you mean, very frustrating with all these symptoms! What dosage are you taking Haley? I am on 100mg twice/day of Prometrium vaginally...AF is due tmrw for me, and I think I may be going crazy...I will go even more crazy if it lengthens my luteal phase a bit, lol

I am on my first cycle using progesterone, and I know exactly what you mean, very frustrating with all these symptoms! What dosage are you taking Haley? I am on 100mg twice/day of Prometrium vaginally...AF is due tmrw for me, and I think I may be going crazy...I will go even more crazy if it lengthens my luteal phase a bit, lol

I take 400mg at night. I only take it cycle days 16-25 unless I get a positive pregnancy test then I am to keep taking it. What days does your Doctor have you taking it?

Hi ladies, sorry to gatecrash but just wondering how many of you use progesterone cream because the doc has advised it and who uses it just because you know your progesterone is low.

Basically I am trying to determine if it's worth me buying and using some or if it's best to discuss it with doc first. I know that I have problems with low progesterone and have been having day21 bloods done for a while to monitor it. My doc has never mentioned pills or cream!

Again sorry to gatecrash but thought it best to post in here where everyone knows what they are taking about!!

Good luck to all of you xx

Hi ladies, sorry to gatecrash but just wondering how many of you use progesterone cream because the doc has advised it and who uses it just because you know your progesterone is low.

Basically I am trying to determine if it's worth me buying and using some or if it's best to discuss it with doc first. I know that I have problems with low progesterone and have been having day21 bloods done for a while to monitor it. My doc has never mentioned pills or cream!

Again sorry to gatecrash but thought it best to post in here where everyone knows what they are taking about!!

I personally use it because I get a lot of spotting before AF, sometimes more than a week before! Some doctor's have speculated that this type of spotting, when everything else is ruled out, is due to progesterone levels that might be slightly low. If those levels are even lower, it keeps the uterine lining from building up sufficiently enough to support a pregnancy and is the cause for a lot of very early M/C. Because progesterone is tolerated up to 400mg/daily throughout pregnancy, it is safe for use throughout and deficiencies may even be the culprit for pre-term labor, which is another problem I have. I hope this helps!!

I personally use it because I get a lot of spotting before AF, sometimes more than a week before! Some doctor's have speculated that this type of spotting, when everything else is ruled out, is due to progesterone levels that might be slightly low. If those levels are even lower, it keeps the uterine lining from building up sufficiently enough to support a pregnancy and is the cause for a lot of very early M/C. Because progesterone is tolerated up to 400mg/daily throughout pregnancy, it is safe for use throughout and deficiencies may even be the culprit for pre-term labor, which is another problem I have. I hope this helps!!

Hi there, another post crasher with questions....I've been doing some research into this as I have had a couple of chemicals and spotting before AF. Is there a leading brand of creams or a known one for ttc purposes, all of the menopause sights confuse me!

:coffee:

I take 400mg at night. I only take it cycle days 16-25 unless I get a positive pregnancy test then I am to keep taking it. What days does your Doctor have you taking it?

Well, b/c of my short luteal phase, I don't even have a chance for implantation to happen without the help of progesterone, so I start taking it once I've confirmed ovulation, so about 2 or 3dpo, until I get AF...and if I don't get AF I'll test...ie. today I'm supposed to get AF, but my temp is still high, and I can't feel AF coming along at all. I never make it to 10dpo! lol So if she still isn't here tmrw morning, I'll test with FMU. I don't usually even ever get to test, so I don't even have an IC's around here. And if negative test, I think I will hang on to 14 dpo, if still negative, I'll stop taking it. I just don't know if the progesterone will help lengthen my luteal phase and don't want to stop taking it if I just don't have enough HCG in my system yet. But I do have a lab req for an HCG test I can do on Monday if I want. I've heard some girls say they get AF even though they're taking progesterone, and some say they need to stop it to get AF, so I don't know which girl I am yet! :shrug:

FYI, anyone from Canada, you need to see a doctor to get progesterone cream. I went in to my Dr. to get progesterone cream and he said that the dosage is not strong enough to do anything for me, so that's why I'm on progesterone suppositories. I would highly recommend asking your Dr!

Well, b/c of my short luteal phase, I don't even have a chance for implantation to happen without the help of progesterone, so I start taking it once I've confirmed ovulation, so about 2 or 3dpo, until I get AF...and if I don't get AF I'll test...ie. today I'm supposed to get AF, but my temp is still high, and I can't feel AF coming along at all. I never make it to 10dpo! lol So if she still isn't here tmrw morning, I'll test with FMU. I don't usually even ever get to test, so I don't even have an IC's around here. And if negative test, I think I will hang on to 14 dpo, if still negative, I'll stop taking it. I just don't know if the progesterone will help lengthen my luteal phase and don't want to stop taking it if I just don't have enough HCG in my system yet. But I do have a lab req for an HCG test I can do on Monday if I want. I've heard some girls say they get AF even though they're taking progesterone, and some say they need to stop it to get AF, so I don't know which girl I am yet! :shrug:

The last time I used the cream, which was only a few days before AF, I began spotting the day before AF was due, despite the cream.... I stopped it as soon as the spotting started, because I was also getting negative HPT's. I'm hoping that if I'm not PG again this month, that I'll be that lucky again because I can see the hell you ladies are going through trying to decide if you should stop or keep going because of late implantation! As if the 2WW isn't enough, but then to have to go through that too :growlmad: Crossing my fingers we all get our BFP's this month!!! :hugs:

Thank you for your replies, they have been very helpful. I need to see my doc about some dizzy spells I am experiencing and when I go in they should have my day21 bloods back so will mention this.

I am fairly sure my problem lies with implantation and where you mention the lining not being thick enough rings bells as something I have heard before. I will ask if they can have a look at my MRI and ultrasound scans to see how thick my lining is as I wonder if this may be why I am not implanting.

I find it so frustrating to know I am ovulating, know OH's SA is ok but still not get pregnant as there doesnt seem to be any tests to see if fertilisation has occured or if implantation is the issue!

Once again thanks for your responses. I guess I know I need to discuss anything like this with the doctor as I dont want to make myself any worse.

Baby dust to all xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"