Ladies with 8-9 month old baby

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by kaylynn040485, Dec 16, 2009.

1. kaylynn040485

kaylynn040485 Mummy to two girls

Just wondering how much milk your lo's are taking now?

Had the h/v out last week and was talkingt o her about weaning etc and she asked what jessica was taking, i told her 3 meals a day plus between 28-35oz per day to which she said that was the absolute max i would want her to be having at this point and to try and get it reduced a bit by giving her snacks in between these solid meals so this past week have been doing as follows not including milk;

9am - breakfast, normally porridge and some toast
    12noon - lunch of savoury stage 2 jar (which is quite big) and mix of fruit ie mashed banana
    3pm - finger foods ie carrot sticks, melon and sometimes a biscotti
    5:30pm - dinner of whatever we r having either mashed or blended then a yoghurt.

and she is still taking about 28oz of milk:shrug: dunno wot else i can do, i cant just not give her a bottle when she is crying for it but the h/v has made me feel like she will be overweight if i continue with this much milk. The thing is that fair enough before she was having her 3 meals plus the milk but now im adding in more solids and she is still taking all the milk im worrying she will gain too much weight. She was on the 75percentile last week when weighed and was 18lb4 i think(can remember of the top of my head) so she has been gaining fine so do i just go back to how i was doing it before as she seemed happy enough with how things were or should i listen to h/v and try and drop her milk!:wacko: Kx

2. Arcanegirl

Arcanegirl Bazinga!!

Alex takes 28ozs in 4 bottles.
    8ozs, 6ozs, 6ozs and 8ozs

3. Arlandria

Arlandria Love being Mrs.C xx

Olivia is 7 1/2 months and she'll only do about 20oz!!! My HV said this is fine, now i'm starting to think she'll need more?!?!?

4. Arcanegirl

Arcanegirl Bazinga!!

If shes still growing fine then im sure its enough. Alex did at one point only take 24ozs and im thinking of dropping his morning bottle down a little so he would be more willing for some cereal.

5. dizzyisacow

dizzyisacow wife,mother & myself

my lo has about 40.......... but he doesnt eat much food. just some puree once a day or twice

edit*you guys are worrying me now. i suck at this weaning.

6. NatalieW

NatalieW Well-Known Member

Isobel's routine is

6am - 6oz
    730/8am - Porridge with 3oz of milk, and half piece of toast

10/1030am - Water with snacks in high chair

1130am - Solids, I tend to feed to appetite and she has pudding. Somewhere around10/12tsp

12pm - offer 4oz but sometimes only 1 oz

330pm - 5pm - Dinner Solids, I tend to feed to appetite and she has pudding. Somewhere around10/12tsp
    Offer 4oz bottle sometimes only takes 1oz

630/7pm - 7/8oz bottle

So she takes around about 18/19oz

7. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

Ruby is 7.5 months and takes 35-40oz a day. We're doing BLW so she doesn't eat much yet in the way of solids. My HV said this is absolutely fine, as milk should be their main source of nutrition until age one anyway. It sounds like your HV thinks differently though?

8. faille

faille Mummy & WTT

My HV is very pro BLW and still said that I'm feeding Violet the max amount of milk she should have and that I shouldn't offer her anymore (she has 32oz). But then that could very well be that she's 91st percentile for weight and height so I don't want her growing too much faster lol

9. kaylynn040485

Dunno if its how i worded my op but the h/v is telling me that she is having the maximum amount of milk she should be at this age and she should be more on solids, so basically she said if i can get her into having a 7oz bottle on waking then one in the afternoon then bedtime so that would be 21oz but think the problem is because she is now eating quite well plus taking between 28-35oz she seems to think she should be taking less milk now. I dunno its so confusing Kx

10. kaylynn040485

hun i think the milk intake your lo is having is fine because he isnt taking much in the way of solids, think my h/v was more going with the fact jessica is basically on 3 solid meals a day plus all that milk, im really confused about it all too! I just went onto the cow&gate website and there is a meal planner and going by a baby of 8 months it says two bottles a day, one in morning one in afternoon, jessica would never settle for just the two bottles a day she would be screaming me thinks!

11. kaylynn040485

c this is basically what my h/v said to me and i just dont get what they expect us to do, jessica would scream if she didnt get her bottles and shows no sign of wanting to drop one. Jessica is on the 75th percentile so growing at a good rate too yet h/v is telling me to basically stop feeding her so much milk:shrug: Kx

12. Arlandria

Arlandria Love being Mrs.C xx

Arh right, well she does have 3 meals a day, water & snacks so i suppose this makes up for the milk but thats probably why she said its ok!

Livvys Routine:

07:30: 7oz bottle
    08:00: Porridge & Toast
    12:30: Dinner & Finger foods (fruit etc)
    14:30: 7oz bottle
    17:00: Tea & Pudding
    19:00 7oz bottle & bed

13. mellllly

mellllly Mummy to 3 under 4!

Sophie has

9am - 5ozs
    10am - Porridge with 3oz Milk
    12pm - Slice of Toast & Water
    1pm - 4-5 ozs Milk
    4pm - Dinner (Mashed Dinner), Dessert & Water
    5pm - 3-5ozs
    9pm - 6-7ozs

So between 18 - 27ozs a day (without the porridge)

14. faille

faille Mummy & WTT

Same here too hun, she's on 4 bottles a day, there's no way she'd settle for 2 like the C&G website says!!

Maybe the only thing you could try is drop each bottle by an oz? Maybe start with the day ones (keeping morning and night the same) and see how she goes?

I must admit that I'm tempted to "encourage" Violet to eat more by doing that myself... I can't see her dropping any herself for a while yet and her growth line just keeps going up and up so I am concerned that she's getting too much. If she was on a steady curve then maybe I wouldn't worry so much :shrug:

15. sapphire20

sapphire20 Olivia & Alex <3

Olivia has totally cut back

7am - 6oz
    9am - porridge
    12pm - lunch
    3pm - 7oz. dinner
    6.15 - 7oz

snacks in between.

she used to be on 40oz but isnt that interested in the bottle anymore but doesnt take enough from a cup.

16. beancounter

beancounter Well-Known Member

I just nod and agree with the HV and dont really listen. Finn won't take milk in the day, I add it to his meals and puddings and I am sure he is getting more than the minimum amount cos he loves his bedtime/morning milk, but I got a talking to about that. What can I do? He doesnt want it!

17. dizzyisacow

dizzyisacow wife,mother & myself

all HV have different opinion. my pediatrician is completely again led weaning where other are pro, so dont go by just that go by what you baby wants as all babies are different. just keep an eye on her weight and if she gains a bit too much give her 2 meals a day rather than lowering her milk intake. x

18. wispa86

wispa86 2 Boys and a Bump

Ben has less than 10oz a day in bottles (i add to meals and he has it with breakfast etc)

At one point a few months ago he was having no milk at all from bottles.

What stage milk is she on??? i got told that Follow On milk is more filling so therefore they will take less. Cant say from experience though as we are still on stage 1 as follow on kept getting refused.

19. Dona

Dona Well-Known Member

Archie has between 20-24 oz per day plus three meals incl pudding and snacks. Although he's got a cold and not eating much just now..

20. mamalove

mamalove mum to 3 girls and a boy

Twins have around 20oz of milk per day + 3 solid meals and snacks inbetween.
    I havent taken them to HV for 2 months,i just cant be bothered with them tbh ..