latching on???

JeffsWife07

Reaction score
Marissa & I are having the hardest time with this now. She seems not to be able to latch on. I asked the consultant and all she could tell me is...she will get it. This is very frustrating as I try to work with Marissa and she gets so upset she starts crying really loud. She never cries but this is upsetting her. Does anyone have any advise for a first timer who is about ready to give up???? She will take the EBM but not from the breast. Is there anyway to help her????

I would suggest going in the bath with her, for some reason babies seem more likely to latch on in the bath. I would also strongly suggest getting in touch with a lactation consultant, even just by phone, who should be able to help you. You can find videos etc online about latching on as well. Like this one -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zln0LTkejIs&feature=player_embedded

Do you have any BFing support groups near by?? I had issues on day 10 and I rand my MW as I was about to give up. She sent me to a group that happened to be meeting that day and I definately think that's why I'm still here...6 months tomorrow!
x

How have you been feeding her the EBM??? Did you use a bottle? Just thinkin maybe she preferred the bottle as she isn't very old.

I wuld def get in touch with a BF councellor i was ready to give up until i met mine, she's been amazing

the first couple of weeks i really struggled too hon, think sometimes it just takes time to get the hang of it xx are there any support groups near you? i just persevered and we got the hang of it by about week 3 xxx

Sometimes Jack forgets what he is doing! Or he gets so worked up that he thrashes his head frantically so he can't get a firm hold. Lots of skin-to-skin and a big helping of patience do the world of good! The latter is incredibly hard, I know, but it's important for you to stay calm and relaxed as your LO will pick up on that.

I find that feeding in a quiet, dark room with no distractions is the best thing for getting Jack latched on, even hubby's voice can distract Jack from feeding!

Thanks ladies.
I have tried feeding her in a quite dark room with no distractions but I have not tried taking her into the bath. Actually, I can't take a bath right now only a shower until I go back to doc for check-up.

I will be trying to locate a BF consultant 2maro.

I do my best to remain calm but when I see how upset she gets & she bangs her head and scratches her face, I give in and give her the EBM in a bottle.

Would it be ok to continue feeding her EBM? At least it's breast milk?

:hug:

Of course it's ok. Just be aware that she's only very very tiny still and you are both learing to BF. She still hasnt learnt to suck properly yet. They need to learn one thing at once ideally. It's a totally different suck for a bottle and for the breast. So she's trying to learn to eat with chopsticks and every so often you are giving her a knife and fork IYKWIKM? She may get to a point where she tells you where to shove your chopsticks!!

At day 10 I was ready to give up. I couldnt listen to her cry as she latched on and off - if broke my heart. I'd topped her up with a bottle from about day 3 or 4 and also was giving her a dummy - so another suck to learn and she wasnt even 2 weeks only.

I saw a BF councellor and she told me to hang in there - I was doing everything right but I was also expecting a lot from such a young baby. I ditched the bottles and dummy and resigned myself to doing nothing but trying to BF. When she or I was upset my hubby took her. When I wanted to give her a bottle just to stop her frustration, he took her again. It only lasted 48hours and seriously, it's been plain sailing ever since.

If you want to give her the EBM till you get some support, thats totally fine, just be aware that it's waaaay easier for her and she's a clever cookie and will know how to work you!! xx

There have been times when we gave EBM in a bottle where it broke my heart to give him a teat but I reassured myself that at least it was still breast milk. It hasn't appeared to cause any nipple confusion yet, but we are still topping up most days (one bottle per day only) so it still might.

Do everything you can to minimise bottle use hun and stick with it. I know it's hard, I get very upset when we have trouble and hubby has to take him to calm him while I collect myself and get ready to try again.

Thanks so much ladies. Sometimes I feel like giving up but you ladies have given me hope.:hug:

It is very tough in the beginning and some babies seem to have a harder time learning what to do, i know that for about 3mnths i had to attach Amelia myself, and most often several times per feeding. It was very frustrating, but they do just seem to 'get it' one day and then it gets a whole lot easier!

:hugs:

How did you attach her yourself?

I place my nipple in Marissa's mouth and she will suck once or twice and then open her mouth.

If you get hold of your nipple around the areola , get a decent amount of breast and nipple and sort of sandwich it flat between your thumb on top and fingers underneath. Then touch between her top lip and nose with your nipple - touching and tickling almost which should get her to open up more and tip her head back, then kind of flick the nipple and as much breast as you can in - she needs a good mouth full. Does that make sense?

Thanks so much Mervs Mum......I understand. Thank you for the advice.:hugs:

Anytime. :hugs: If you were a bit closer I'd be right round there to help!! :lol:

Dont get too down on yourself honey - it's very very tough at the stage you're at. You have done incredibly well so far and like I said before, you are both learning.

Did you find anyone locally to gve you some support?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->