Late crawlers/walkers

Scottish mum

Reaction score
My lo is almost 11 months, next week. He has shown no sign of crawling or walking. He is strong on his legs and can lean against furniture unaided but I have to help him to his feet.

I picked lo up at nursery and there was a little girl who was crawling and able to pull herself up on furniture, the staff told me she had just turned 7 months!!! Omg!

I just wanted to know all of your experiances!

Don't panic. All children do things in their own time. My three all walked unaided at different ages
#1 12months
#2 8.5 months
#3 18months

I have a friend whose daughter couldn't be bothered and started at 22months (she's the brightest button in the box!)

That's refreshing to hear! I just want to ensure I'm doing everything I can to help Los development but I'm sure we are all the same but worry about other things ! I know I should just enjoy him not being able to wonder away. : )

Sounds like you are fine! 11 months is too early to worry about not being mobile, unless your gut is telling you something is wrong.

I didn't realize this, but crawling helps a lot with pulling up. I thought pulling up was more related to walking, but it seems very related to crawling. My LO was walking with help from 7 or 8 months, then around 10 months he started crawling, immediately gained the confidence to pull up (even though I'm convinced he was able to do it before), and took his first independent steps the same week.

Of course there are also babies who are just on the later side...we know another baby who crawled at 12 mo and walked at nearly 18. But if yours is strong on his feet, he may crawl for a very short time or bypass crawling altogether. It's too early at this point to indicate a problem!

Darragh didn't crawl until around 11 months and isn't nearly walking yet. He does push his high chair around like a walker, this past few weeks, but if I try and hold him under arms or by the hands, he just sits down
I'm not worried at all. I did, like you, compare him to others; my friends little girl was walking at eleven months and another friends little boy who is three days younger than Darragh has just started, but the more I look, the more I realise there's plenty around his age not walking yet
My HV said until they're 18 months, there's absolutely no cause for concern and that even then it isn't panic stations x

Thomas crawled at 11.5 months walked at 17 months.

My baby started army crawling around 6 months..properly crawling around 8 months..and at almost 13 months still no signs of walking! Even though he is good at cruising, but he cannot stand independently for any amount of time nor does he have any interest in doing so. :-/

Your LO will get to it, if only we didn't have pressure from what society considers normal, then we could enjoy our babies more <3

My lo was 10.5 mths to crawl and 14 mths to walk. My friend has a 16 mth old showing no signs of walking. They'll all get there. Long as they're showing sign they're strong on their legs no worries

Don't worry at all! My daughter didn't move other than sitting until she was 12 months. At her 15 month visit our Ped referred her to physiotherapy for an assessment to make sure she was ok physically. It turns out she is ok...she has some muscle weakness due to hating tummy time but other than that she is fine. She has had 2 sessions of therapy and lots of homework with me and she now pulls up, cruises and can climb stairs in the space of 3 weeks. Its amazing!

Having said that, 11 months is too early to worry about mobility. Even my daughter was still pretty young but that is the protocol here for referring even though most other places seem to wait until 18 months.

There is one other child in my daughter's day care. She is 2 weeks younger than my daughter- so 15 months and is no where close to walking. She is such a sweet baby. My daughter walked at 9 months but refused point blank to hold a bottle until 11 months. The other little girl at day care held her bottle at 6 months. I guess my point is that they all develop at different rates and do things faster and slower. Another example- I just had a little boy. He is no where close to rolling over and is 3 months old. My little girl could roll both ways by now, but my son "talks" more than she did. I wouldn't worry.

Your LO may surprise you. Sophie had her 9 month checkup the day before turning 9 months. She couldn't roll, crawl or cruise. The nurse said it looked unlikely that she would crawl any time soon, I agreed. The very next day she suddenly rolled both ways and crawled. Totally out of the blue.

She was much slower than my son, he rolled by 3 months,crawled at 5 (almost 6) months, pulled to stand and was cruising by 7 months. Sophie pulled to stand at 8 months, then crawled then rolled that day she turned 9 months.

Every baby seems to have their own plan on when they want to do stuff, and it varies so hugely that I honestly wouldn't be worrying at the tender age of 11 months. That's still a baby.

Thomas didn't talk until almost 2 and everyone was worried, now he has brilliant language skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->